Yeti GOBOX Collection

19 firefighters dead

Very rough area... big canyons, huge boulders, cactus,grassland,oak,cedar, and its on the top of a huge ridge, the wind can turn in a second...mesquite/ironwood that burns extremely hot... very sad .

Absolutely terrible news. Not sure how families and their mates in the wildland firefighting world cope with the loss. Prayers to all.

Prayers go out to everyone is all I can say. I know personally a couple of guys close to this situation, and they are tore up inside. May god bless those we lost, and those who continue the fight these guys started.

Just found one of them was one of my high school buddies, whom I hadn't talked to since we graduated. Thoughts going out to his and all families involved.

Pretty good post from a Montana Hot Shot Dave Megorden today:

People die all the time, but not people like these. Hotshots, by definition, are bad ass firefighters; young, in-shape, crazy, interesting human beings. The kind of folks that are angered when the shift is cut from 16 to 14 hours, and if asked would love to pull an all nighter. They want nothing more than to be in the woods for weeks at a time, making oatmeal, coffee, and MRE spaghetti in the same cup, showering with water bottles and debating the best foliage for toilet paper, debating politics, and calling over the radio for the score of their favorite sports team. They (sometimes literally) fight to see who “gets” to carry the 28 pound chain saw up the mountain, in addition to their 40 pound pack. They will beat you on a run with a cigarette in their mouth, and a smile on their face. They joke and laugh with the best of them, and more than likely you want to see them with their shirts off. They get sent to the nastiest grounds of the fire, because they have been battle tested, and love to hike many miles before they even start to work. From Hell Week through the first fires, the crew bonds a unique brotherhood - they learn about each other’s habits, hobbies, annoying tendencies, special talents, dreams, favorite music, future plans, and strange pets. They love living on the edge – a bigger burn out, a lower helicopter ride, a bigger tree to cut, and a taller flame front. They are the ones that train all spring to be able to do superhuman things in order to protect forests and complete stranger’s homes. They ask little in return; a paycheck that barely pays the bills and some good stories for the Rookies next year… In short; they are the best of us all, in the best shape of their lives, having the best time of their lives. In memory of those that we’ve lost, I ask that you all look at your day and realize how blessed you are, live life to the fullest, love those around you, and next time you are at the bar, have a drink in honor of the Granite Mountain Hot Shots – that’s what they’d want.

What a tragedy to lose so many quality men. Prayers to their families and the loss they are feeling. May the good Lord be with them in their time of need.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back