.17 caliber rifle

My son absolutely loves shooting my 22LR. I really want to buy him a .17 caliber rifle just for target practice and maybe some small varmints. He is 11 and I'm wondering what is the best 17 caliber centerfire round. I also want to get him into reloading, so we can learn together. I'm really liking the idea of the 17 223

Thanks guys and gals

Last edited:
Don’t do that. There are better reloadable 17’s out there, the 17-223 isn’t what you want. Brass and dies are hard to find. Get a 17 Remington or a 17 Hornet. I would recommend the 17 Hornet, it is a magnificent varmint round. It isn’t far behind the 17 Remington for velocity, and a fraction of the powder.

It is absolute death on varmints, hardly any recoil. These are prairie dogs and you can see how much damage it can do...

DBDCD7EC-19A1-41F7-B0EC-95C347484D9F.jpeg

Don’t do that. There are better reloadable 17’s out there, the 17-223 isn’t what you want. Brass and dies are hard to find. Get a 17 Remington or a 17 Hornet. I would recommend the 17 Hornet, it is a magnificent varmint round. It isn’t far behind the 17 Remington for velocity, and a fraction of the powder.

It is absolute death on varmints, hardly any recoil. These are prairie dogs and you can see how much damage it can do...

View attachment 170697

Oh man that thing looks awesome. Thanks for the response. With a little research and you helping to narrow it down, that looks to be a great round. Thanks

I like the 17’s but I love the 204 ruger. You find a rifle easier than a 17 with the exception of the hornet. It doesn’t kick any more than a 17 and it’s so much more versatile . I predator hunt a lot her in MD and foxes are the name of the game. The wind plays havoc on the little bullets but the 204 handles the wind better past 100 yards by quite a bit.

I like the 17’s but I love the 204 ruger. You find a rifle easier than a 17 with the exception of the hornet. It doesn’t kick any more than a 17 and it’s so much more versatile . I predator hunt a lot her in MD and foxes are the name of the game. The wind plays havoc on the little bullets but the 204 handles the wind better past 100 yards by quite a bit.

Yea I have seen the 204 quite a bit while researching. Seems like a great rifle and more versatile maybe.

Yea I have seen the 204 quite a bit while researching. Seems like a great rifle and more versatile maybe.
My son and I love small caliber rifles both rimfire and center fire , I really have been a fan of the 17 rem since it appeared in 1971. I also have owned and shot 17 fireball and 17 hornet. Rimefires 17 hm2 17 hmr 17 women and rem 5 mm (20cal) like I said we love the small cals . It’s really awesome to see hits in your scope because of the light recoil and hyper fast speeds. However the 204 ruger does all that and is more forgiving in the wind ,a lot more forgiving . Between me and my two sons 36 and 26 we shoot about 3000 204 rounds a year. We like that much. If you do decide the 17 rem is for you give me a pm and I will see what I have left in 17 rem ammo. Good luck in your search.
Paul

Back to the original question about 17’s. I doubt many here shoot more varmints or rifles and the 204 may be a great round, but it isn’t a 17. I have dozens of varmint rifles and shoot 1000’s of rounds through them and not 1 is a 204. 5-17’s and about 7 6mms the rest are 22’s from a Hornet to 220 Swift.

A 17 (again I would recommend the 17 Hornet) will do a fantastic job on varmints. Every time you consider a wildcat, you need to consider the options or lack there of in your need for reloading dies and components.

0A2DD69B-1898-4D35-9596-5B12D3B353F9.jpeg6A1E84D8-4F84-4C10-8A64-89F7EBAA678C.jpeg663F1619-001E-486F-BFA1-F57EEBAA5EA0.jpegF9F727DF-5277-4FE1-81AF-8255180F4540.jpeg

Last edited:
I shoot a 17 HMR and it is sweet little gun (savage 93) but I have shot a 204 on P Dogs and LUST after one....once the lil one heads to college it will be ONE of my "luxury" buys

I'd buy either a .17HMR or a .204 since that seems to be the only ammo consistently on the shelf right now. The reloading part is going to be difficult for a while.

Back to the original question about 17’s. I doubt many here shoot more varmints or rifles and the 204 may be a great round, but it isn’t a 17. I have dozens of varmint rifles and shoot 1000’s of rounds through them and not 1 is a 204. 5-17’s and about 7 6mms the rest are 22’s from a Hornet to 220 Swift.

A 17 (again I would recommend the 17 Hornet) will do a fantastic job on varmints. Every time you consider a wildcat, you need to consider the options or lack there of in your need for reloading dies and components.

View attachment 170801View attachment 170803View attachment 170805View attachment 170806
Beautiful rifles , very impressive collection.

Beautiful rifles , very impressive collection.

View attachment 170801View attachment 170803View attachment 170805View attachment 170806
I’m not trying here to discredit your appreciation of the 17 ’s I like them as well and I have shot and my sons have shot 10’s of thousands of rounds of it. I believe that gives me some experience as well not discounting many many hours handloading ( haven’t loaded the 17 hornet yet because I bought a case of ammo with the rifle) . I’m 60 years old and had to have a 17 rem from the first time I saw the add for for it in 1971. Look the 204 Ruger has no noticeable recoil ,very comparable to the 17 rem . The benefits of the 204 is extended practical range through wind deflection over bot nominal and extended range. That’s all my point is about. Please note if this gentlemen needs components I still have quite a bit because I prefer the 204. I als shoot the 22’s 221 fireball , 222,223 , 223 wssm , 220 swift and 22-250. I don’t compare the 204 to the last three on the list.

We can analyze this a dozen ways. What a 204 has on a 17 for wind deflection, a 22 has over the 204. Remember that a 204 parent case is a 222 Remington Magnum. A larger bore shooting the same weight bullet will always have an edge on velocity. Ballistic coefficient and velocity are the 2 components of trajectory that doesn’t change with bullet diameter.

The OP was about 17 caliber. I am sticking with the choice in 17 and not talking about virtues of better BC, because that wasn’t the question. It rarely fails that the original point of a question or thought gets derailed before the issue is settled. If the question becomes which is best in wind and long range, we could have some exhaustive dialogue about that and still find better BC and velocity with the 22’s over the 204.

The 204 is a good varmint round, but doesn’t stand alone in the category. Many have them and like them, I don’t have one and doubt that many will shoot as much with it as I have without it.

We can analyze this a dozen ways. What a 204 has on a 17 for wind deflection, a 22 has over the 204. Remember that a 204 parent case is a 222 Remington Magnum. A larger bore shooting the same weight bullet will always have an edge on velocity. Ballistic coefficient and velocity are the 2 components of trajectory that doesn’t change with bullet diameter.

The OP was about 17 caliber. I am sticking with the choice in 17 and not talking about virtues of better BC, because that wasn’t the question. It rarely fails that the original point of a question or thought gets derailed before the issue is settled. If the question becomes which is best in wind and long range, we could have some exhaustive dialogue about that and still find better BC and velocity with the 22’s over the 204.

The 204 is a good varmint round, but doesn’t stand alone in the category. Many have them and like them, I don’t have one and doubt that many will shoot as much with it as I have without it.
All understood believe me but all I said was easier rifle to find easier ammo to find , one gun one little boy!

If you are set up for reloading then you just need to look at the logistics of feeding the 17 of your choice. Are bullets, brass, primers and powder available?
If not, then what are you willing to pay for smiles per bang?

I own a 17 fireball and it is a pretty sweet round. It does seem like anymore, 17 hornet ammo and components (brass) are easier to come by than 17 rem or 17 fireball so i'd probably go that route if I were you. While we are on the topic of 17's, does anyone here reload for them? I reload for the fireball but it is a real pain. trying to balance that little flat based bullet on that tiny brass then guide it through the seating die has caused me to destroy a bunch of brass over the years. a boat tail would be a LOT easier to reload. Is there something I am missing or a trick that some of you might have to make it easier? i have resorted to buying factory ammo when i can find it for about $40 a box to try to avoid having to reload them.

I own a 17 fireball and it is a pretty sweet round. It does seem like anymore, 17 hornet ammo and components (brass) are easier to come by than 17 rem or 17 fireball so i'd probably go that route if I were you. While we are on the topic of 17's, does anyone here reload for them? I reload for the fireball but it is a real pain. trying to balance that little flat based bullet on that tiny brass then guide it through the seating die has caused me to destroy a bunch of brass over the years. a boat tail would be a LOT easier to reload. Is there something I am missing or a trick that some of you might have to make it easier? i have resorted to buying factory ammo when i can find it for about $40 a box to try to avoid having to reload them.

It costs a little more, but bench rest dies are a good idea....

Last edited:
I just wanna say thanks guys for all of the responses. I have really always liked the idea of the 17 caliber. I think what would be best is for me to get a 17 hornet for my kid and maybe the 204 for myself after all of this craziness is finished. Kinda seems like the best of both worlds. Once again thank you for the responses. I always enjoy a little back and forth with people who are passionate about shooting and reloading.

Shrapnel, that is an awesome collection of rifles.

I have hand loaded for the 17 rem and the fireball , I do t for the 17 hornet because I’m still in the factory ammo. All 17’s are difficult because the are so small. When I get into the loading room I start with the smallest rounds first. It seems to help getting use to the tiny bullets and next caliber up is an easy adjustment .

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back