165gr. Partition Load for .300 Winchester

Indy, I would use the 200 grain partition rather than the 165's. My buddy shoots the 200's with reloader 22 (I can fetch the exact load he uses if you want), and has great results with it. Accurate and he's getting about 2850ish for Muzzle velocity. I dont think you'd be at any disadvantage range wise with the heavier bullets. I also believe the 200's would perform much better on elk than the 165's. I've seen my buddy shoot a couple elk with the 200's one at about 300 yards, and the results were pretty impressive. But I've also seen the 180's in action and they work well too. I've never seen the 165's used so I dont know a thing about them.

I shoot Hornady 180 bt's. IMR4350 @ 3050 fps at the muzzle. It has tipped everything over I've shot with it. Complete pass throughs.

My dad shoots a 300 weatherby with 200 grain partitions, R22 powder at something around 3000 fps. It tips them over too.

I would agree with Buzz that the 200 grain bullet would be the way to go in that 300 Mag. Doesn't really make sense using a 165...you might as well be using a 30-06. The 180 grain Partition would be good also, especially if you want a little less recoil. If you really want to use a 165, try the Barnes X bullet...either the 165 or the 168 grain XLC.

Thanks guys... the reasoning behind the 165gr. pill is down range energy and flat trajectory. I agree that the cartridge is well suited for the 180/200gr. bullets but am concerned with their drop out past 300yds...

Indy... I would really go with the 180's.. I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through my .300 win mags at over 400 yards, I use the 180s for p-dogs and coyotes as well as deer and elk... My ruger #1 is 4.5" high at 100 yards which if I shoot a deer or elk at 400 yards I can hold right on the spine and hit where I want to.
For some reason the 180 grain bullet in the .300 winmag is more stable than the 180's after 200 yards I believe this is due to the speed and twist rate. you will be more accurate at 400 yards and even 700 yards with the 180's as well .. while it might seem like only 15 grain difference it also bucks the wind a little better than the 165's.

Delw

If you want to stick with the 165gr., go with the Barnes. They'll fly flatter AND retain more weight than the partitions. The Barnes will retain at least 90% of its weight for 148.5, while the partition will retain about 60% for 108gr.

BTW, the Remington webite lists 2.1" of drop difference at 400 between the 180 and 150 with a 200yd zero. I'd imagine that the difference would be even closer with the 165's.

Just some FYI

tyler at over 400 yards most bullets will retain in the 90%+ area.. dad shot a fallow deer with the 270 at 100 yards and it retained 88% or 92%(I forget wich one) this was also a ballistic tip

Delw

Thanks guys... the reasoning behind the 165gr. pill is down range energy and flat trajectory. I agree that the cartridge is well suited for the 180/200gr. bullets but am concerned with their drop out past 300yds...

I agree with you there, I shoot the 165gr Nos.Part. In my Remington Model 700 BDL. I have done ballistic work with the 165 load I have developed and at most it will only drop about 42 inches at 500 yards with a 200 yard zero.

I agree with you there, I shoot the 165gr Nos.Part. In my Remington Model 700 BDL. I have done ballistic work with the 165 load I have developed and at most it will only drop about 42 inches at 500 yards with a 200 yard zero.
Wow. Old thread. Run some numbers using the 200 grain Accubond. Might change your mind about the heavier bullet. mtmuley

Wow. Old thread. Run some numbers using the 200 grain Accubond. Might change your mind about the heavier bullet. mtmuley

I know heavier bullets have.more kncokdown power at longer ranges, but I hunt very open country in CO and depend heavily on the speeds of my hand loads. Speed means everything to me. I will sacrafice alittle but of accuracy and B.C. For slightly faster speeds. I'll run some numbers on the 200gr accubond

"Knockdown power" is a myth. You are better off sacrificing speed over accuracy. Especially if you are stretching the range. I don't know what ballistic calculator you are using, but your drop seems exessive at 500 yards. mtmuley

Last edited:
Indy, I would use the 200 grain partition rather than the 165's. My buddy shoots the 200's with reloader 22 (I can fetch the exact load he uses if you want), and has great results with it. Accurate and he's getting about 2850ish for Muzzle velocity. I dont think you'd be at any disadvantage range wise with the heavier bullets. I also believe the 200's would perform much better on elk than the 165's. I've seen my buddy shoot a couple elk with the 200's one at about 300 yards, and the results were pretty impressive. But I've also seen the 180's in action and they work well too. I've never seen the 165's used so I dont know a thing about them.

Yep. Utilize the power. I worked up a load for a buddy's 300wsm with the 200 Partition. It shot great to 800 yards. Around 2850 fps.

20150426_153613 (2).jpg

This is the ballistic calculator that I use. The picture is blurry but my facts are straight. There is also a category for energy in Ft pounds. (knockdown power)

Last edited:
Drop is easlily calculated and compensated for. Wind is voodoo and where one, IMO, really needs to hedge their bets when wanting to shoot long. If you are hung up on 165gr Noslers, look at the Accubond. You'll get the same speed and it'll fly flatter than the Partition.

That said, I saw two cow elk killed at a touch over 300yds this winter with 165gr Partitions from a 300 WSM. I sent ONE out of a 30-06 that killed THREE pigs. They do work.

I've been following this as I have 100's of rounds of -06 brass and looking at options.
I had to switch from the Fed Barnes Vital-shock 165's I have been shooting and went to Nolser trophy w/AB 165's .
Love the Barnes bullets,but the Accubonds sure shoot good in my 700 now too.
Problem now is parts are so expensive to start reloading...@ 60. Any one out there willing to help figure out good load for my gun? 165's always have worked better in mine than 180's...why?

I would seriously suggest that you run a ballistics table on the various BC's of the bullets and velocities you are discussing. Check them for 100 yards and again at 400 yards. I believe you will discover that the difference in trajectory is minimal compared to the difference in retained energy and down range velocity. Just because it's faster coming out of the pipe does not mean that it is still faster down range. I'll bet the trajectory difference is less than 4 inches while retained energy is almost 200 ft lbs. greater with the heavier bullet.

I've been following this as I have 100's of rounds of -06 brass and looking at options.
I had to switch from the Fed Barnes Vital-shock 165's I have been shooting and went to Nolser trophy w/AB 165's .
Love the Barnes bullets,but the Accubonds sure shoot good in my 700 now too.
Problem now is parts are so expensive to start reloading...@ 60. Any one out there willing to help figure out good load for my gun? 165's always have worked better in mine than 180's...why?

With my 700 I have learned that it is very particular on the weight and length of the bullet. Mine accurately shoots the 165 partition better than the 180 partition. I believe this is due to the twist rate of the barrel. I understand that there is other possible variables, but I have ran multiple different tests regarding free bore, powder, and primers. Each different test I went with the same powder on both bullets, and same free bore on both bullets. Loaded into 3 shot strings. And at the end of my testing the 165 cane out on top

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back