PEAX Equipment

150gr Nosler Accubond LR in .270 on elk

s10

I have searched endlessly on the internet for someone with experience in this area, but I am not finding much. Before anyone tries to change my mind, I am 100% using my .270 on an elk hunt this fall. There will be no caliber changes. However, my gun shoots 150gr Nosler ABLR really well. The one post I was able to find on performance with these variables was derogatory due to the "softness" of the bullet, especially at shorter distances. My main question, has anyone killed an elk with these specific parameters, and if so, how did the bullet perform? And at what range did you shoot the elk?

No experience with the particular bullet but if your gun shoots them well, go with your confidence. Don't aim for the shoulder blade! Aim for heart or lungs. Watched an elk take 3 slugs from a .300 Win Mag at 50 yards to the shoulder, and got up each time. Watched an elk drop at 75 yards with a double lung shot from a .30-06. Watched an elk drop at 100 yards with a heart shot from a .243. Don't worry that much if you have confidence in the gun and placement. These aren't eastern whitetails that you can anchor with a shoulder shot... just keep that in mind and go hunt.

No experience with this specific bullet, but with my .270 I have taken 5 elk (2 bulls, 3 cows) with the 150gr Federal Fusion in factory load. With this bullet, each elk dropped in it's tracks with only one shot, all between 100-350 yards away. One of them was even a clean pass through and she only walked about 20 yards and piled-up. Sort of surprised me with this being a soft point and advertised as a "deer" bullet...it's all about shot placement with this caliber. It may not be the preferred bullet in most people's eyes - you just have to be careful with placement and it will do the job.

Reactions: s10
Killed a cow elk last year with my 270, shooting a 140 gr accubond. One shot. 110 yards. Found the bullet under the hide. How is the long range bullet different?

That combo will work fine. Those bullets are soft and I quit using them due to the massive damage. But they were all dead critters just a lot of meat waste.

I'm sure it will work fine, it can't be much softer than a soft point. I would think it being in 150 would help slow it down enough to keep it from totally exploding.

In terms of terminal performance, my understanding is the only real difference between the ABLR and standard AB is the ABLR is designed to have better expansion at lower velocities. Thus people saying "soft". I've never shot an elk with either a .270 or an ABLR, but my theoretical knowledge of such things would lead my to think this setup would work fine. I wouldn't hesitate.

I seen elk get killed with .277 accubonds 140 grn just never the LRAB

I've Killed a handful of elk with the 30 cal 210 gr Accubond Long range. Most were in the 200-250 yard range. Golf ball sized exits on all of those shots except one. Found the one under the hide in a nice mushroom. One was killed at 600ish yards and again a golf ball sized exit. They do shed more weight, but they still penetrate and stay together. I don't have any concern about them.

If I can kill a bull @420 yrds with a143 eldx out of my creed your 270/w 150 grn ABLR will do just fine

“Deer” bullets work just fine on elk from my 7mm-08 and .280 rem

Elk are big, but not made of titanium, countless bull elk fell to 30-30’s with soft points, and 30-40 Krags

Back