130gr TTSX 30-06 For Everything?

emrah1028

It started with me wanting a 25-06 "just cuz". I wanted a super fast zippy cartridge in my arsenal because I didn't have one. Well, I do have a .243 but that's beside the point. So I got to thinking, "hey, what about a super fast 30-06? I already have the rifle (and a good 165gr Partition load) but a fast stepping .30 would be fun.

So I developed a load for the 130gr Barnes TTSX. It's 55gr (or 56, can't remember I'm away from my spreadsheet) of H4895. I don't have a chrono, but it should be well north of 3100fps. Super accurate too.

I have a rifle buck tag, hopefully a doe tag in the unit I want (lottery results come out 09/09), and maybe some hog opportunity in either Texas or Florida or both.

I'm 100% confident in the Barnes' ability to stay together at high speed. Anyone else shoot something like this?

Emrah

What is the point of impact in comparison to the Partition? (how far do you twist the turret)

Last edited:
I load the 130 grain TSX for my daughter. It's only about 48 grains as I recall, but like yours is very accurate and works flawlessly on deer. She'll be testing it out on cow elk in Wyoming this fall too.

I never got good accuracy withany bullet lighter than 150 grain in my 06.

Do you all have a source for these already loaded up? I look periodically but can't seem to ever track any down.

I can't speak to the specific load and 30-06 rifle but I can attest to the Barnes bullets you have chosen. They are fantastic in my opinion. At 100 yards 180gr TTSX factory loaded in a Federal Premium cartridge made a pretty nice pattern. I'm sure someone with any amount of marksmanship talent could tighten that group up easily. Also, the bullet was recovered from a nice sized Texas Boar I shot a few weeks ago. I'm guessing that's pretty much the

View attachment 61355View attachment 61356

OK, well not sure if I did something wrong but I had a little trouble posting the pics and doing an ""advanced" reply. Hopefully you all can see them. One thing I did forget was this was from a .300 Win Mag in a Remington Model 700. And to complete my last sentence from above, "I'm guessing that's pretty much the"...expected performance with regards to weigh retention and the petals peeling back.

I started using the Barnes 250gr TEZ in my muzzleloader last year after a bullet failure and lost doe with the TC Shockwave (Hornady SST). Of course, a 28 yard head shot wasn't much of a test for the Barnes!

Emrah

P.S. I verified that my load is 55.0gr H4895. COL. 3.240 as per the book. It's a near-max load so work up to it if you choose to replicate this load.

Man, I've been looking everywhere since last night. First off, shopping for ammo is not easy! Is it possible that Barnes makes these bullets but no one sells them as factory ammo? I've only found a few light loads for the 30-06 and they are all lead. These things seem like they may be pretty sweet for antelope.

I would be very surprised if there is a factory load fort this. Hell, 150g is hard to get sometimes so I just learned to reload (which is quite easy to do).

150g TTSX and 50.1g H4895 for the win in my 30-06.

I used the 130TSX in my 300wsm. I've since sold the rifle but it was an absolute hammer on everything I shot with it.

I load the 130gr TTSX in my 30-06. All I can say it's like a bolt of lightning in my hands...

My recipe is 57gr IMR4350 over CCI large rifle primer.

Last fall I shot an antelope DRT at 396 yards with a complete pass thru. It's like he got hit by a bolt of lightning... that bullet is fast...

Just to ad a note... I can hold a group in an 8 inch bull at 300 yards all day long with a old tang safety Ruger.

Everything? Do you mean "everything" in MN, everything you going to hunt,or EVERYTHING?

I understand that a bazillion people's pipe dream is to have The One, but it just doesn't work that way in the real world.

Remember, all that time you waste at the range trying to discover The One load, is just making you a better shooter.

90% of the fun is getting ready for the hunt, getting there & back!

Everything? Do you mean "everything" in MN, everything you going to hunt,or EVERYTHING?

I understand that a bazillion people's pipe dream is to have The One, but it just doesn't work that way in the real world.

Remember, all that time you waste at the range trying to discover The One load, is just making you a better shooter.

90% of the fun is getting ready for the hunt, getting there & back!

Well, yeah. "Everything" for Minnesota I guess, but at the risk of starting a debate, I'd venture to include Elk and Moose. No, I've never shot either one, but no one balks at using a 130gr. .270 at either of those animals at the same velocity. This would be a 30-cal ".270" so to speak. Ok, ok, sectional density would be less, but I'm not going down that path.

Emrah

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back