Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

125 grain 30-06

Bootheel hunter

I have a little extra time on my hands and was gonna play around with trying to reload some 125 grain bullets in my 30-06. I typically reload 150grain boat tails. Any ideas on starting loads and bullet types? Any info will be appreciated.

I'd start with 125gr Ballistic Tips and Reloader 15 starting at 52gr and working up to about 56gr.

I use to shoot 125s out of my 30-06. Killed so many deer with that round with minimal meat damage. Such a hard round to find for factory ammo so I switched to a heavier round. Sorry I cant provide much help, i'm not into reloading but i saw 125 grain out of 30-06 and it brought me back.

I've never loaded 125's in my .06. I did load some for my RUM at almost 4000 fps. Nosler should have data for the .06. mtmuley

I used 125 NABs and H4895 for a 30/06 youth load for my daughter. We never used it on anything big, but the small deer that she shot (poorly) with it did not go out of sight. I have used the same bullets in .308 Win for youth loads and have great confidence in them from 150 yards and in. I have also had great success with the 110TTSX in a youth load out of a .308 Win for my daughters for the same range expectations.

I’m actually considering using them with a bit more mustard behind them for my .308 Win, but only because I like to tinker, and I may take it to WY as the backup rifle for pronghorn for both my daughter and I. My only hesitation is wind drift on longer shots on the open plains, something that we don’t often have here in TN.

A very good friend of mine spent a whole summer trying to find a light bullet for his 30-06 that was accurate and consistent for use on deer and pronghorns. He is an accomplished benchrest shooter. He finally settled on the Barnes product but was never really very happy with the results. He got fine groups sometimes and other times it was not good at all. He tried many different powders, primers and seating depths for each bullet. The Barnes was extremely picky about seating depth. He switched back to a 150 grain pill. The 150 was more consistent and it was a little better in the wind.

A very good friend of mine spent a whole summer trying to find a light bullet for his 30-06 that was accurate and consistent for use on deer and pronghorns. He is an accomplished benchrest shooter. He finally settled on the Barnes product but was never really very happy with the results. He got fine groups sometimes and other times it was not good at all. He tried many different powders, primers and seating depths for each bullet. The Barnes was extremely picky about seating depth. He switched back to a 150 grain pill. The 150 was more consistent and it was a little better in the wind.
I badly wanted the the 130 (and/or the 150, 168) TTSX to work in my Savage 30-06 and 308 loads, but just couldn’t seem to get consistent, repeatable accuracy. It would group great one time, then open up the next. I tried adjusting OAL (a lot), powder charge, etc, but finally gave up in frustration after spending way too much on boxes of expensive bullets. The 165 TTSXs grouped great out of my Tikka T3 30-06, but did not give as much of a “bang flop” effect that I experienced with 165 NABs. I switched back to NABs, although I have a few of the 165 TTSXs (and 180 NABs) loaded up for a possible future elk hunt if ever needed. I’m still 100% confident in the 165 NABs for elk, but just can’t leave well enough alone I guess

If you were going to hunt with it also I think I would go with the 125 gr. Accubond. I really like how the Accubonds have performed on targets and on animals. Great accuracy, penetration, and good weight rentention. I think the 125 gr. would be a fun bullet to play with.

Nosler Guide #7 reloading book shows they had the most accurate load of the powders tested using R15, and it was also the second fastest with muzzle velocity in their rifle at 3337 fps. Varget was the fastest powder at 3418 fps.

Thank you all for the help. I'm gonna get some nosler bullets ordered and see what I can make happen. Once again thanks for all the helpful info.

Back in '89 I loaded some Nosler 125 Ballistic Tips for a friends 30-06. He shot coyotes/ and Black tail deer with it. I visited him a bit later ( Yakima, WA) and I showed him how great it worked on Rock chucks! ha It opened them up like a suitcase! wow. I used the top load of IMR 4831 in the Nosler Manual ( the green one with the moose). Its a killer!

Nosler reloading guide is online on there Web site. Just FYI I loaded some up Nosler 125gr BT for my Father in his 30-06 for Antelope and in a 30-06 we came to the conclusion just to reload 150gr bullets from then on as there really was no advantage of using the 125gr vs 150gr.

I’m looking at going with the 168 TTSX as well. How do you like it? Do you use factory or handloads?
I really like the accuracy and performance of the 168 Barnes TTSX. I load it myself, 55.0 IMR-4350 & Fed 210 primer gets me 1/2 inch groups out of my 30/06 T/C Venture with 5R rifling. Nothing big, but shot a 7 pt whitetail at 125 yards, and a spike at 100. I do bring it to New Mexico as my back-up for Elk if my .340 Weatherby has a hiccup.

I regret and apologize for my late reply...reserrecting this posting. Mtmuley...I tried to reach you elsewhere, unsuccessfully. Hoping to get an answer(s) here.

I'm slowly becoming a Barne's fan. Am intrigued about using the 130 gr TSX (Not TTSX) in both my 30-06 and 300 Win. I'm sold on the terminal advantages of this particular bullet. Here's what I am not sure of...

I can only find and have purchased the 130 TSX (Not TTSX). From your FIRST HAND experience(s)...can you tell me if the TSX works like the TTSX. Not as good, same, better?

Thank you kindly.

I regret and apologize for my late reply...reserrecting this posting. Mtmuley...I tried to reach you elsewhere, unsuccessfully. Hoping to get an answer(s) here.

I'm slowly becoming a Barne's fan. Am intrigued about using the 130 gr TSX (Not TTSX) in both my 30-06 and 300 Win. I'm sold on the terminal advantages of this particular bullet. Here's what I am not sure of...

I can only find and have purchased the 130 TSX (Not TTSX). From your FIRST HAND experience(s)...can you tell me if the TSX works like the TTSX. Not as good, same, better?

Thank you kindly.
I’ve used the 130 TSX. Each one worked exactly as advertised. Push them fast.

Thank you kindly.
Only Barnes I ever used was the 225 TTSX in a .338 RUM. Not much help. mtmuley

Back