12 minutes along the Rocky Mountain Front

Now that was therapy. I love the photography...not into the flute music...but the whole thing made my day.

The Sun River Elk herd is the second largest migratory herd in the US. It is the largest free-roaming herd in the US. The Jackson herd is larger, but they're artificially concentrated.

When you look at the blood, sweat and tears that have been put in to this country, it's easy to see why so many hold it dear.

And Nectar, I always figured you for an Enya kind of guy. ;)

After I got home from work I had to unwind so I watched the video again. It seems to do the trick...and man it would be great with Enya in place of the flute.

The Sun River Elk herd is the second largest migratory herd in the US. It is the largest free-roaming herd in the US. The Jackson herd is larger, but they're ;)

I have always wondered about the truth behind that claim. Seems like there are about three thousand elk on sr game range and there are a couple migratory herds in Wyoming besides Jackson that are the same or bigger. Then there is the northern yellowstone herd which until recently was larger.

just watched the linked video, very nice photos. It appears that the majority of the wildlife shots are from up in waterton park. I recognize alot of the elk pics from up there anyways.

Rocky,

I doubt any of those are from Waterton.

The sun river herd is much more than just those animals that winter on the game range. There's an equal if not greater amount from the Teton South that are included in the Sun River herd. That herd is well over objective, and numbers between 6000 - 7000. That doesn't include the resident elk. IIRC

Last edited:
Ben, do you know if any bios release elk flight count reports of the front? Btw I said that about waterton because I've gone up there to see the elk, sheep, and buffalo herds that Tony Bynum and Rod Sinclair have been photographing in and just east of waterton. Some of the bulls shown on the slideshow are also on Rod Sinclair of alberta's web site.

Of course a lot of the front range is so hard to distinguish. but here is one example, this photo from alberta by Rod Sinclair is the same bull in Tony Bynums video at 00:47.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3386544_BNGuV#1044283249_nMNS4

Last edited:
I think that FWP has those numbers out now. Brent Lonner in Fairfield is the Bio for the area.

I talked with Tony today and he assured me that all of those photos came from the Front. I didn't get in to specific details of areas, but I do take Tony at his word. The Front, depending on some folks description goes a long ways.

hmmm, so are those montana wildlife or not? Im a wilderness supporter and really like Bynum photos. However if those elk and sheep pics are from the portion of the front range in Alberta also in Waterton and they are shown in a promotional video about the Montana Front, then i just wouldnt like that for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Looks like most of them are from the Front, and might have a couple in there from up North. Not sure, but after talking with Tony, I think that there is absolutely no intent to misrepresent the Front.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back