12 deer points in WY, what area to apply for?

CGeminski42

I am currently sitting on 12 deer points in WY. Yes, I know the herd quality is down... but for my own reasons, I want to hunt this year. Any advice on where to apply? Here are my requirements:

Nothing in Grizzly country
No mountains, looking for an open country hunt
I would prefer to be in the central or eastern part of the state
No outfitters, looking for a public land hunt
My goal is a decent opportunity at a muley at least 170 inches.
No interest in sharing my points

I have done some preliminary research, just looking to see if any others with similar point totals have hunted recently and their advice. Thanks for your input.

I am currently sitting on 12 deer points in WY. Yes, I know the herd quality is down... but for my own reasons, I want to hunt this year. Any advice on where to apply? Here are my requirements:

Nothing in Grizzly country
No mountains, looking for an open country hunt
I would prefer to be in the central or eastern part of the state
No outfitters, looking for a public land hunt
My goal is a decent opportunity at a muley at least 170 inches.
No interest in sharing my points

I have done some preliminary research, just looking to see if any others with similar point totals have hunted recently and their advice. Thanks for your input.
you just described eastern Montana...

I thought this was a joke at first, then I saw post count.

Gohunt.com friend, it will answer all of those questions for you. Congrats on the 12pts! You should be able to find a great hunt.

Not trying to be mean, but giving you the best advice possible in a direct manner.

Start doing research. Eastmans Tag Hub,MRS, Guys Top Antelope Units, GoHunt, Huntin' Fool, forums, Wyoming Game & Fish Website, etc. You can do a lot of "digital" scouting and research. Get familiar with the blue chip areas and how many points it took this year to draw them. Narrow it down to 3-5 areas, then start really researching those areas to find the best hunt for you.
I burned 9 points this year and drew a tag in an area that took 8 points last year so point creep is happening. You can always apply Special Draw to up your chances as well. WY also issued less tags this year due to things like winterkill and drought. During my research I looked at several areas and learned about things like:
% of public land available
Trophy Quality
Topography
Walk in and Management areas
Is there lodging nearbye?
Is there good fishing nearbye?
Nearest meat processor and taxidermist?
Where can I get things like ice, food, gas?
In the end, I learned everything I could about 4 areas, then called the biologist assigned to each one (they were all amazingly helpful). Ultimately, I applied for the one that checked the most boxes.

I have to admit I am in the same boat with 10 + points and have looked over draw odds/ harvest statistics etc and still cannot decide where to burn my Wyoming points. It is as I almost have to many to make the right decisions. Guess I will just build another year.

I have to admit I am in the same boat with 10 + points and have looked over draw odds/ harvest statistics etc and still cannot decide where to burn my Wyoming points. It is as I almost have to many to make the right decisions. Guess I will just build another year.
I don’t know if you could really go too wrong

Back