MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

11th Hour Elk - triumph and disappointment

Hummer

My 11th Hour Elk

I'm not sure if it's a blessing or a curse but I sure have a knack for snatching victory from defeat in the last hours of season. It's happened many times over 3 decades that I've taken deer or elk on the last day, including my 2010, 2012, and now my 2013 elk.

This year I hunted the White River National Forest just outside the Flat Tops Wilderness during Colorado's 2nd rifle season. I had both bull and cow elk tags, and a bear tag. There was much more snow than expected, about 8 inches in camp at 9000 ft. and 20 inches up the mountain at 10,200 ft. It proved to be a difficult hunt with the snow, the full moon, and the worry about having had an unexpected stroke 2 weeks before, a few hours after dragging an antelope across the prairie. Yep, I was going elk hunting and nothing was going to stop me. :D

It's beautiful country that invigorates, revitalizes and heals. In the end, I did just fine as usual, pushing myself a little more each day, getting stronger and loving every moment.

The snow provided lots of tracks that proved the animals were coming out in the full moon and retreating to the dense spruce-fir timber early in the morning. But, with the deep snow and crunchy morning crust hunting the dark timber chock full of fallen logs was not very productive.

Early one morning I spotted two cow elk as they moved into the trees at 200 yards, but they didn't offer a clean shot. A few days later as I started to head to camp at the end of the day, I spooked six elk into running back in the timber. Too far, too fast, but at least it proved there are elk around.

Every day I hunted well, encountering plenty of wildlife. Sandhill Cranes flew over daily and other birds were abundant including three Northern Pygmy Owls, one of which I was able to call to me. I ran into Dusky Grouse almost every day, like this one that flushed in front of me.

On Sunday evening, the last day of season, I killed a cow elk. It was 6:22 p.m., just before dark, and I had decided it was time to give it up and go home. I'd been sitting under a tree about a half mile up the mountain from camp. I began to make some noise zipping my pack when I heard a branch crack behind me. There were elk there! A group was moving down a ridge right toward me. I nervously knelt, picked out the lead cow and took the shot at 69 yards. A scramble ensued and I tried to keep my eye on the cow as she jumped a log and ran up the ridge toward the other animals. I think there was a bull with them but I couldn't get a clear enough view through the trees.

I followed the tracks, found a few spots of blood, then a gush of it from the left side. Lung blood. After that, no more blood could be found, it just seemed to disappear. It was getting dark fast so I got out the flashlights and started following tracks. Most went off the ridge into the creek bottom. I searched the area pretty thoroughly for an hour and a half in the dark until my lights started dimming. My GPS batteries which showed full suddenly went dead and I knew I had to get out of there and back to camp. In the pitch dark and overcast sky, even with lights and knowing where I was, it's easy to lose perspective on direction. Hearing the creek I headed in that direction and found my way to a horse trail and back home.

The next morning I searched for more than 2 hours before I found that elk. At the big spurt of blood she had turned around and backtracked downhill off into the timber in the opposite direction of the other elk. It was a good double lung shot just behind the right shoulder so she surely died within a minute, 150 yards from where she was hit. I had mostly searched in the wrong direction. Incredibly, the night before just as I changed direction to head home when my lights were dimming, I was only ten feet from the downed elk. The tracks in the snow told the story.

(Photo shows the exit wound, and some grizzly fellow who happened by when I took the picture).

Even though I skinned the elk first and used the gutless method I could tell the meat was souring. She layed on snow and overnight temps had been in the mid-twenties but there was a lot of heat left in the hams. When butchering we had to carefully smell and taste test the meat. The tenderloins weren't good and had to be discarded. I trimmed and lost a good part of the backstraps and some of the hind quarter meat next to the bone. Fortunately, I was able to save most of it, losing maybe 20% over what we would have gotten otherwise. The front quarters were fine.

Not sure what souring really is but I know what it smells like now and it's different from the gamey smell of meat left too long in the cooler. It can happen darned quick on an elk.

This was the first time I hadn't recovered my elk until the next day. Not something you want to do. (Although, many years ago I recovered an elk someone else shot and lost the night before, and prepared it for a friend. The meat was fine.) If I had it to live over I would have quickly placed a second shot, but I usually avoid that when I know I made a good hit.

Only a half mile from camp I backpacked her out on Monday, about an hour or so round trip each time. This was my 25th elk in 28 years of hunting elk in the Flat Tops area. Success, with an asterisk. :eek:

An interesting side note, I tracked bears closely on several days but never saw one. No surprise that when I was busy packing the elk quarters to camp a bear had gotten to the hide right before I arrived to carry out the 3rd and final load. Fresh bear tracks were all over. Fortunately, the meat was in cloth sacks and the bear was more attracted to the meat and fat on the hide. I have this thing with bears.....

Good hunting,

Hummer

Good story and pics Hummer. Congrats on a successful hunt!

I'm glad you included the meat that soured, many would exclude that part. In some videos certain guides leave them overnight all the time for a photo op and I just shake my head wondering if the "hunter" has a say or knows better.

Also lots of people think "there's snow on the ground so it's on ice" but don't realize at this time of year big animals are made to hold heat so it's no different than Sept until you get the hide off and meat hung.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing! Wish you good health in the future...

That looks like a very good cow. Too bad about the meat loss. Those elk wear some pretty well-insulated clothes! You have had a pretty good run over the years. Good job.

Good story and pics Hummer. Congrats on a successful hunt!

I'm glad you included the meat that soured, many would exclude that part. In some videos certain guides leave them overnight all the time for a photo op and I just shake my head wondering if the "hunter" has a say or knows better.

Also lots of people think "there's snow on the ground so it's on ice" but don't realize at this time of year big animals are made to hold heat so it's no different than Sept until you get the hide off and meat hung.

Congrats again and thanks for sharing! Wish you good health in the future...

That looks like a very good cow. Too bad about the meat loss. Those elk wear some pretty well-insulated clothes! You have had a pretty good run over the years. Good job.

Thanks, fellas. She was a big dry cow as lead cows often are, and she carried lots of fat which contributed to heat retention.

When I got the meat home and in the refrig I searched the internet for anything factual that would explain the nature of souring. The term comes up often and I think it's a good description but there's little of substance out there; mostly BS, uninformed opinion, and lousy excuses for leaving an animal overnight instead of diligent pursuit. I'd like to hear from someone experienced in game meat science.

Respect for the animal requires caring for the meat and utilizing it as fully as possible. I wish I had done better this time and hope others will learn from my experience.

Nice story Hummer and thank you for your honesty. You may have still had some sour in the hams even if she HAD been gutted and left until morning. You just never know what weather will do. Good to see you were able to get out and get it done!

Way to stick with it and find her the next day. Always tough to lose meat but at least the whole animal was not lost. You have quite the record on elk, the rest of us would be lucky to have half the luck (or skill!)

Very cool!
GREAT pics! That aspen(?) picture dealing with the bumped elk back into the timber - That is a great pic!

Cheers for the story, pics and congrats on your success! Some good eats there!

The next morning I searched for more than 2 hours before I found that elk. At the big spurt of blood she had turned around and backtracked downhill off into the timber in the opposite direction of the other elk.

It is a pain to find one when you shoot it in a crowd. I was taught that the shot one will often follow the herd for a while then take off on another direction so watch the tracks that peel off. That's proven true more than once for me.

Congrats on the Elk. 25 out of 28 is a pretty good success rate :)

I had a similar situation about 10 years ago. I shot a lead cow at 10 yards in the timber. I took her through the heart and she ended up running with the herd for a couple of hundred yards and then peeled off. I tracked her (or at least tried to track her) the rest of the day (probably 6 hours or so). I couldn't find any blood. I knew that I couldn't have missed from that distance - but it really wore me down.

I went back in the next morning and found her 1.5 miles up-hill from where I shot her. While I was gutting her out my Dad back-tracked her. She didn't bleed openly until 200 yards before she expired. If I had tracked up-hill another 100 yards the day before I would have found her.

Even though it was January - it had been a fairly warm night (15 degrees or so). She was a little stinky on when I gutted her - and if I would have known then what I know now - I would have boned her IMMEDIATELY. Instead, I brought her out whole (about a 3 mile drag) and skinned her right when I got home. The damage was done - I couldn't get any meat off her that wasn't spoiled.

Still makes me sick to this day thinking about it.

Since then, I never leave an elk with the skin on over night. If I have to leave it (can't get it all boned or quartered), then at a minimum I'll peel the hide back on both sides and leave it laying on it's back spread-eagle on the snow.

Thanks for telling your story.

Nice hunt and write up. Certainly a good effort taking it down to the end of the season. I always keep pulling the trigger if an animal shows sign of life no matter whether i think its a good or bad hit. Bullets are cheap, but long tracking jobs in the dark can become a bit tedious over time.

Well done.
brad.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back