Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

10mm for Charging bears

sweetnectar

A while back there was discussion on what would be better to protect yourself from a charging bear attack. The idea that you would not be able to unholster a pistol and hit anything before you got killed came up. Some said pepper spray was better, some said a firearm was best, some wondered if a 10mm would be enough punch, etc.

So I went to the shooting range and tried the charging box technique to see how I would do. I have a glock in .40 cal, 15 rounds in the mag, We took three boxes, one to simulate a bear, one to simulate a fox, and one to simulate a rabid skunk. Each box was placed 19 yards in front of me with string tied too it. I turned so that I could not see the guy pulling the string hooked to the box and would only be able to catch the box moving out of the corner of my eye were I would have to draw, turn, and shoot before the charging box got to me. Here are my finding:

Adam holding a chunk of 3/4" OSB subfloor. Gold dot bullets when through with no expansion...later tested it with 9mm and same result. I would like to do some more testing to check penetration. I'm tempted to try shooting an dead elk with my glock before gutting it to do an autopsy and record the results.
adamresized.jpg

The charging fox box. I was able to get off 5 rounds and hit it 4 times.
Isaacresized.jpg

The rabid charging skunk. On this one I put my hands in my pockets to slow my reaction time down. By the time I saw it charging forward I drew and saw it bouncing rapidly toward me. Fearing that I would get bitten by a rabid skunk and finished off with stinking spray :) I was able to get 4 rounds off and hit it twice...few safe! :D
resizedabe.jpg

The charging bear box was a dishwasher box to simulate the size of a bear....long story short, the kids had ripped it open so I tried to rig it so that I would stay together to simulate the charging bear but no luck. The wind just collapsed it so we propped it up and just used it as a stationary target. After being able to hit the smaller boxes I figured the bear box would have been the easiest.

So there you have it. I hope you are inspired to do some practice with your sidearm and post up the results. I really want to see what that 10mm will do.

Nice I would like to see some video.Do the same test with a revolver and see what the outcome is.

I hope I don't shoot myself in the leg.
Nice I would like to see some video.Do the same test with a revolver and see what the outcome is.
I think I'd choose bear spray over a revolver....I haven't shot much with em. I wanted to try this with a video. If I was more tech savvy I'd do a video. I was surprised at the outcome. I expected to get fewer rounds off and didn't expect to have as high of hit percentage. One thing to note is I probably could have pulled the trigger one more time on the skunk box but it was getting close enough I didn't want a round hitting in the dirt 5 feet away from me.

I would use the 10mm for a charging bear. It has as much power as a 41 mag and alot more ammo.

bruse

The only other major factor in the test is that you knew that you were going to draw and shoot. I think it was great practice for shooting something small and moving. I just think when it comes down to it, you will be packing a bow looking and focusing on elk. And secondly you won't be thinking ok I'm going to spin around and draw my gun, It will most likely be a surprise.

With that said either a pistol or spray is going to require that you have it all together when the scenario presents itself. Practicing is really the only way to "kind of" prepare for the real thing. Looks like that was a fun trip to the range. I wanna try that with you some day.

For the record I feel the 10mm with the right tip bullet will do the job fine. I'm still thinking though that my best odds are with spray.

you gentalmen and ladies are hunters,so i just want to save lives,yours,a grizzly can run up to 40 miles per hour,and can weight up to 1000 pounds,sometimes maybe more,i have seen them get hit by three rounds out of a 300 winn mag 200 grain bullet,the bear died with the fourth round from a 7-mm,3 feet from the hunters,it weighed a little over 800 pounds,how manny shots do you think you can put into a big bear running at you,before you are his dinner,yes he might die,but most likely not before he kills you,so if you take a 10 mm into a bear fight,your odds are not good.:eek:

Back