Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

<$1000 Over/Under Shotguns

jt13

Anyone have recommendations on sub-$1000 over/unders in 12/20ga? Looking for something for my fiance to take to South Dakota this fall for pheasants and sharptails. She's 5'6", not sure if she'll fot better in a reduced LOP or youth model instead of a full size.

The list of contenders I've compiled in no particular order so far looks like this:

CZ Redhead Premier
CZ Drake
Mossberg Silver Reserve 2
ATI Cavalry SX
Weatherby Orion
TriStar Hunter
TriStar TT-15
Stevens 555

Any experience with any of these or other suggestions?

Last edited:
Dont buy new. Be patient and wait for a Sauer. Get the 16 and be done with it.

Not sure if it's what you were referring to but I typed Sauer over/under shotgun into google and this was the first result. Not a 16 but a nice looking gun I hadnt previously considered.

Edit: and from what I see on the internet as far as pricing, thats a steal

Last edited:
No way in hell would I buy any of those. Spend a little more and get a Browning. Had the Mossberg and Savage and I regretted both. Manufacturers made it right but my Citori never had problems

That Sauer does look nice. The only one on your list that I have personal experience with is the CZ Redhead. I have the CZ and have always enjoyed that shotgun, IMO it's a great option. I wanted a Citori, but if the budget doesn't allow it then you'll have to go another route or wait for the right used gun.

I have the ATI one in 20 gauge. Super cheap and it was only $550. I got it because I wanted a really light 20 gauge for grouse and the ATI one was really light. I looked at the tri stars but they seemed really chincy, and according to the guy behind the counter at the LGS there isn’t much difference between the savage Stevens and the ATI, as they are both made it Turkey.

It’s is my first O/U so I don’t have much to compare it with, but I wiped down a ton of pigeons with it over the summer and a handful of pheasants last fall, so I can’t complain.

Last edited:
I don't own any of those, but I've shot my friend's Stevens 555 a bit. It isn't fancy, but fairly light and always went bang.

I won a Pointer Sporting O/U 28 gauge at a banquet and I have been pretty impressed with weight and reliability. I'm not a cheap gun guy and normally use a Cynergy but find it too heavy for grouse walks. The Pointer Killed a lot of grouse. My FIL has the Stevens 555 in 20. No complaints from him.

For occasional field use, from your list, one of the CZs or the Mossberg would work. A pointer is also an inexpensive option. My son shoots a lot with 4H and Scholastic Clays. He's been using a pointer in 20 ga, and has had zero issues. He ran over 2,500 shells through it last year, and had one misfire due to a crappy mount. It was not the gun's issue. We have one kid shooting a Mossberg, easy 10k round count through the gun. It's had firing pin issues, but always been fixed by Mossberg.

The pointer has served my son well, but it was always an entry level tool while he grows. He's 11, going through the 3 inch at a time growth spurt phase. I'm hoping this shotgun gets him through it, then he will move into a used Browning. The Brownings on the line just hold up to the rounds.

So, I would really consider the end use. Low round count, occasional field use shotgun - one of the more inexpensive options will be just fine. High round count, shotgun sports - bump it up if you have the means and get a Browning or similar.

Probably most important thing to consider is FIT. Get her to the shop to mount some guns, see what fits her best.

Thanks for all the input!

Really fighting the urge to pull the trigger on that Sauer....

I'd be hard pressed with this much time before season not to find a great used one. No one shoots much anymore and most shotguns have very low round counts. Miroku used would be another good option.

Well we went today and did some shopping around to check out as many of the lower end guns as we could find at local gun shops. We found a Stoeger Condor, (2) ATI Cavalry SXs, (2) Stevens 555s, Legacy Pointer, and a TriStar Hunter. What we established is.... she doesn't like any of them.... and I didn't blame her. The fit and finish on all the guns was the biggest complaint.

The ATI Cavalries had the best engraving and wood but the actions were REALLY tight, one of the two we played with she physically couldn't close the action because it was so stiff. The Stevens 555 is almost an exact clone to the Cavalry. The TriStar and the Pointer left something to be desired in all departments, not real smooth actions, too light, poor fit and finish, etc. but not terrible. The Stoeger Condor, made in brazil, had the nicest action, balance, and feel to it but it was a rough looking gun with visible machining marks on both the action and the wood. With any of these guns I bet you could shop around and find a nice pretty one with a smooth action if you put in the time.

Edit: Full disclosure, bumped into a 20 ga TriStar today with nice looking wood, a smooth action, and only a few machining marks. Solid looking $450 gun.

I ordered two of the Sauers tonight to be delivered to the closest Sportsman's Warehouse sometime next week. I wanted to see one up close and was told that they will only ship store to store for a purchase. I was also assured that my money can be refunded at any time before I fill out any paperwork so I ordered two so I can have the choice between them if we decide to take one home.

I'll keep poking around in the mean time to find a few more on the list and report back. I'll be most interested in getting my hands on a CZ.

Last edited:
I like the weatherby from the list as my buddy has one and he has shot thousands of rounds thru it without fail. Now why does the gun need to be a OU? Semi's can be had cheaper and lighter and less recoil.

I have a CZ Redhead in 20ga, and I think I bought in 2007 or 2008 new for about $750 or so. I've used it for most of my small game hunting in AZ and OR- doves, quail, rabbit, etc. It's my go to shotgun (I also have a 12 ga 870 Wingmaster for turkey). The shotgun fits me well, points great and patterned really well. I'd recommend one without reservation.

Other suggestion would be not an O/U. The cheap aluminum frame ones are too light.

If you have Academy sports check their semi Yildiz youth model semi. If not see about Beretta A300 synthetic with stock spacer removed to shortest length. Browning made some youth trap BPS with Monte Carlo if she wants pretty and doesn't mind a pump. That Beretta is probably the best buy though.

I have the Weatherby Orion, 12 ga. No problems, I like it just fine. There is a definite fit and finish difference in it vs higher end O/U shotguns. Simply breaking the action will show this.

I've seen the Franchi Instinct Catalyst for right around that $1,000 mark.

I'd get the Orion or CZ Redhead.

Another option is the Franchi Instinct Line. They make the regular instinct with the case hardened receiver for $1000ish or the super-light option for $1400-1500.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back