PEAX Equipment

10 Wyoming deer pref. points, what unit would you put in for????

Hornsgalore

Looking for advise.... I'm not looking for anyone's hunting spot but just what areas I guess would be better than others? I have heard that unit 141 near Pinedale can be really good with weather. But then I have friends that kill monsters in Region G on a general tag. I'm very familiar with the Region G, H & K but not too familiar with the limited entry units that have high quality bucks! I'm looking for 30"+ heavy horned typical and non-typical of coarse but don't want to burn up 10 years of points for a shitty area! By reading a lot of these forum posts there is a lot of great knowledge on here! Any input would be great! Thanks......

Is always a crap shoot when you pace around for 10 years hoarding points then expect a outsized reward for not using those points. A couple of 1000 NR are sitting on max WY deer points. Will take years for the max pool to evaporate.

There are some very good units in WY and none of them are a sure thing to draw even with max points. Say you draw the tag and is a poor year for horn growth, a fire screws up access to key parts of the unit, the government shuts down and prevents access to key zones, the migration is not on time, the rut is not on time, etc?

Are you asking the top few hunts by demand? You can spend 15 minutes and see that by reviewing the stats.

Much like red wine tastings, best hunt is very individual. If you are asking for the best hunts then I might prefer low tag numbers but you might not care a bit but want a chance at the 30"er even if harvest rates are very low for a buck of any size. I might prefer wilderness where do not have to hear ATVs zooming around but you might prefer roads to move around quickly to glass lots of areas per day.

What are you looking for? A chance at one of the largest bucks and are willing to hunt every day and eat the tag if only see mature 4x4s that are 28" wide? Guided? Horses? Hotel each night?

Is always a crap shoot when you pace around for 10 years hoarding points then expect a outsized reward for not using those points. A couple of 1000 NR are sitting on max WY deer points. Will take years for the max pool to evaporate.

There are some very good units in WY and none of them are a sure thing to draw even with max points. Say you draw the tag and is a poor year for horn growth, a fire screws up access to key parts of the unit, the government shuts down and prevents access to key zones, the migration is not on time, the rut is not on time, etc?

Are you asking the top few hunts by demand? You can spend 15 minutes and see that by reviewing the stats.

Much like red wine tastings, best hunt is very individual. If you are asking for the best hunts then I might prefer low tag numbers but you might not care a bit but want a chance at the 30"er even if harvest rates are very low for a buck of any size. I might prefer wilderness where do not have to hear ATVs zooming around but you might prefer roads to move around quickly to glass lots of areas per day.

What are you looking for? A chance at one of the largest bucks and are willing to hunt every day and eat the tag if only see mature 4x4s that are 28" wide? Guided? Horses? Hotel each night?

Thanks for your reply! I'm pretty familiar with Region G...... Probably be doing a horse back hunt somewhere and a DIY hunt. My ultimate buck would be a 30"

G and H

The genetics in G and H rival any unit in Wyo. If you already know those units you have a lot going for you! There aren't too many units in Wyo that produce any bigger bucks than G or H. You better have a pretty good set of lungs/legs in G or H...you'll likely need it! It's obviously tough to burn 10 pts on a lessor unit but just because one unit has fairly decent draw odds while another unit takes max pts doesn't mean squat!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back