Caribou Gear

1 for the books !!

Muley Crazy

I will try to post a better pic as soon as I can. My buddy shot this boar last week. on his bait sight. It was his first time bear hunting, baiting, and he sat at his bait for a whole 1.5 hours !!! I think calling beginners luck would be a understatement! the green score was 21.5 It should place about 5 th or 6th in Id

Attachments

• DSCN0368.jpg
    DSCN0368.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,139
Man he watched it for an hour and a half and then ran over it with his quad??

Just fuggin with ya M Crazy! Congrats to your buddy and lets see some more field pics....sans ATV of course ;)

Congrats to your buddy. Not to mention size...he's just the color I'm looking for. Blacks are tuff to find in my woods.

Looks like a great bear.

Glad to see someone getting into them.
Still hoping a few are going to start hitting the baits. The cold weather and snow last week kind of shut us down.

That thing's got a big old noggin on him. Congrats! My first bear still had milk on its lips.

21.5" ? OK, but I'd like to see the tape :D :D

Awesome guys are getting bears in already. Makes me want to get out again real soon !!! Kudos on a Fine bear !

Very nice bear. Talk about good luck. We have hunted Idaho bears since the 80's and only seen a handful like that one. Congrats to your friend.

OK Mooise here are a few pics form a bear we took in 2004 any guess to what he scored ??:D :D

This bear was taken off west Mountain in the spring it took 6 of us to pack it 200 yards note the height of the shoulder
of the bear compared to the side of a full size truck

Attachments

• Justin Bear.jpg
    Justin Bear.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 1,070
Not just a good bear but a great bear there. Not many over 21 are killed every year.
Unfortunately he should shrink just below Boone and Crocket .
Skulls that size seem to shrink about a half inch .

That is another stud bear. You guys have the big ones figured out for sure. did your buddy shoot his bear with a bow or rifle?

Slimey thats why I talked him into haveing beatles clean the skull and not boiling it, or slow cooking it.

ID Bugler it was a rilfe kill also

Looks like a nice bear. I will say however it's about the smallest bodied and skinniest 21" bear I've ever seen. Not saying it's not 21.5", just saying it's not overly huge in the body department. Heck, when it comes to packing those things out of the woods I'll take a big headed skinny bugger every time!

Biggest

The biggest skulled bear I have killed( I did not shoot it it was over my dogs ) was 21 11/16th " it was just 380# and 6'7" but what a mellon Killed one more over 21 it was 21 7/16th" it was 7'4" and was 427 # .
Had one more over 7' that was just 19 8/16ths and 380#.
Here is one that was quite different for me a buddy shot a bear last year it was 6'5" from front paw to front paw and 5'10 " from nose to tail ( 360# ) never seen one that was thought out of square he had quite some legs and was one heck of a runner.

Dandy couple of bears MULEY CRAZY! You guys look to have had some success up there over the last few years. Congrats! That second pic of the bear in the truck, that thing is a beauty!!! I have a 32/32A tag right now I drew for this Spring (just on the West side of West Mountain) but no bait allowed, just spot n stalk. Hoping for some success up there myself in the next couple weeks.

Thanks for sharing!
Jaxon

The skull shrinks while it dries. Even with Beatles it will shrink. Most people put them in the freezer (which is cheating) but keeps them to size a little longer.

I'll come right out and Say I call BS. I'm not trying to offend anyone but If you saw the tape on the bear then maybe it's a bad angle ... Uhhh very bad angle on the bear. If your buddy put a tape on it he might not have measured it quiet right...

As far as Scoreing bears. I will also call BS on people that say they can call it out live on the paw. Bears are by far, bar non, the hardest animal to score alive. Some people are pretty dam good I will admit, but most are smoke blowers :)

I don't want this post to take away from an Awesome bear, Hell, I kill 100# 17" skull bears every year .. :D :D and I love it !!! Bear hunting is a riot and when someone scores or a great bear it's jsut that, Great. Hope the skull goes in the book for him but 5th or 6th ? 21.5" ? Thats a big noggin Mi Amigo .

The skull shrinks while it dries. Even with Beatles it will shrink. Most people put them in the freezer (which is cheating) but keeps them to size a little longer.

I have to call BS on you on this one I did a skull for I guy in Utah that was over 20" that only lost 1/8" I have something that I do to all my bear and cat skulls that make them what they are :D :D I have done many that have not lost any size....

Moosie I scored the bear myslef after it was skined , I used calpers to pull the mesument so we could be exact. I logged onto the B&C web sight to make sure we were scoreing the skull correct. so we are just waiting for the dry time Then I will post the score sheet. I wouldnt want to to post something and then end up being worng and look like a jack@#$.

So what did you think the brown bear in the back of the truck look like it would score ? I not expecting you to be right on but within 1 inch is not out of the question with your ablilty !:D :D

If you go to ID fish and game sight and click on Big Game records it will show the bears in order and that is how I guess it would be 5th or 6th. i am not saying it IS the 5th or 6th largest bear because I know several people dont have there animals put in the books for what ever reason.

When we went to Fish and game the guy who pullled the tooth said he had been doing it for 15 years and that was the biggest bear he had ever seen come in.

i cant agree more about people saying they can tell how big a bear is on the paw alive. One time I was hound hunting witha buddy, we treed a a bear and 2 hounds men said it looked like it was 300+. When it fell out of the tree it lost about 100 lbs per 10 feet that it fell by the time it hit the ground it some how lost 175 lbs

If you scored him and had it in your hands then you are probably right. I'm still going with from that angle it doesn't look like a 21.5" bear.

I have no clue what the others score.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back