$1,200 for a lab puppy?

Thanks for the info on shedding. Maybe I'll be a trend setter for here at the fire and get a hunting poodle! :D

You laugh, but did you know the standard poodle was actually a hunting breed at one time? I am sure they still could be hunted but they just dont get used for that these days. Another note, the Labradoodle was bred for the Labs temperment and hunting and the poodles lack of shedding. I just dont like the way they look. We dig sit for a Golden doodle (used to, not ever again) and it was one usueless POS of a dog. May be the owners fault but that dog is not allowed in my house anymore.

Yep I knew that poodles were hunting dogs. Even a few folks breeding them for that again. I like the idea of the -oodle crosses, but am a bit leary as they may still shed quite a bit (according to a vet). Knowing my luck, I'd end up with a dog that still sheds, looks goofy, and doesn't hunt worth a darn...

So I haven't read through all the responses yet, but I do have a Yellow Lab litter on the groud right now. I think there is only one Male left. I bred my male to a friend of mines Female. Should be great family dogs. My male is a dog I paid $1200 for and I couldn't be happier with him. He is the most Biddable dog I've ever seen, and yet he has all the energy and drive I could ask for in a Hunting dog.

The female is from a more family/hunting dog line. A great little dog. If your interested, I can fill ya in with some more information. Puppy is in Billings and ready on February 1st. I think she is asking $600.

dont get a labradoodle. Folks got one, piece of junk. $1200 for a puppy is not top end. You dont want to see the price tag of top end. I have a real good friend of mine that I used to Pro-Staff with that is now working at a dog kennel in SD. If you want, she can help answer your questions. She is my "go to" dog expert. She lives for it. All labs. I have owned a pointing lab and yes, they are fantastic for upland bird hunting and she also did a good job with waterfowl. Great with kids. Paid $300 for her as a pup but originally it was $600 a piece for them.

It just depends on what you want. I lucked out on my lab (gone several years now, but put in a good 12 yrs for me)... I cant stomach the high dollar pups, so I was patient and found a litter with two good, proven, hunting parents and got my dog for $100 plus paying for the litters first shots and dew claw removal. I think it was about $200. There is no $1500 pup that has any more potential than she did.

I just did the same thing with a springer pup. He just turned 1 and I could not be happier. I paid a hunnert bucks for him... he is a little machine and aims to please... I guess time will tell how he holds up and ends up...

Good Luck! Keep us posted on what ya do!

Okay, you guys really haven't made this decision any easier for me. I really am wanting to get a dog in the next month or two, so waiting for the perfect deal to come along isn't really an option.

My wife would probably stroke out if she knew what I'm talking about spending on a puppy. She thinks we should just pick something up at the pound and call it good. I've got the money, but it's not like it's burning a hole in my pocket and has to be spent or anything like that. Part of me is thinking that the bloodlines on a really nice dog might be wasted on what I'm wanting to use it for.

I'm pretty dead set on a female and would really like it to be on the small side for a lab. I've probably procrastinated long enough the puppy that was available is already gone. I haven't called them back or put a deposit down on it. I may have to call that cornerhaven kennel that huntbux posted up as well.

I have 6 labs myself and breed 2 of them,,,I dont have any pups now but may have a new litter by summer or so,,,dads a choc and mom is a yellow,,,they are awesome family dogs,,no papers but i sell them all the time for around $350,PM me if your interested.

Hey if you pick the WRONG one, 1200 bucks is gonna seem like a bargain!

ar129641192026317.jpg

I'm one of those guys that likes to by the "top of the middle" brands. I figure I like hunting enough that I don't want a piece of crap, but it's not my livelihood, so I can't justify buying Swaros, Sitka, Benelli, etc. So, when I got my pup a year ago I applied the same kind of philosophy and found a great pup for $500. Spent another $800 on training and I'm 100% satisfied with the way she brings birds back to me.

Would another $700 spent on the purchase price bought me a better dog? I don't know, maybe; but if I'm happy with what I've got there's no reason to wonder. Just my two cents.

Just make sure the parents are OFA excellent. 1200 bucks is cheap compared to dealing with vet bills because your dogs hips go out when it is 5 years old

You have a lot of options if your willing to spend 1200 on a dog. For that kind of money it should have Grady, lean Mac, candlewoods or jazztime and the list goes on...... in the pedigree somewhere.

Last edited:
Okay, I still haven't bought a puppy yet.

Really need to soon.

Some guy has some in SE Idaho for $400 on monster muleys right now. Seems cheap compared to $1,200, but also it doesn't look like they have been doing this long.

Anyone have any recent advice or know of someone with a litter available soon?

Thanks, Nathan

Several years back at a DU charity deal there was a gent there selling labs and they were i that price range. A bit dumb struck though he claims you get what you pay for...

When I was looking into purchasing a bloodhound - the prices really ranged from 450-2500(!!!! ? ). My first bloodhound was extremely smart. My current hound is... well, not as smart though good at his job. Not for cats (never done such) though cadaver / S&R stuff. This is my third hound and I have paid approx the same - $600 for each.

Okay, looking around again I found a barely started yellow female for $700. She is 5 months old so some of the puppy stuff should already be worked out. Talking on the phone it sounds like she isn't done with anything, just working on sit, stay, retrieving for fun, etc.

Here's the link - http://shadowrockshorthairs.netkenn...=7827&mnuid=15606&HDR=British+Lab+pups+4+sale

Here's the pedigree if that means anything to anyone - http://shadowrockshorthairs.netkennel.com/PedigreeView.asp?DogID=43288&HDR=Cat and Todd pups 2011

Pretty small scale operation.

Not sure if I'm just jumping at the first thing that looks promising or if this seems like a good line. I like the idea of a smaller lab and from what I can tell all the certifications and things are in order. These guys mainly to pointers but the guy made it sound like he knew what he was talking about. Didn't find anything negative on google on them.

Shipping would run $400ish.

Thanks, Nathan

i found my duck dog. well, actually my boss's son did. she wondered up to his house and they couldnt find the owner so i got her. she was about 6 months old the vet said and believed she was full blooded. i took her to silver state kennels in lemmon valley, nv and $1800 later i had a trained gun dog. point is, if the dog isnt gun shy and likes the birds, a good trainer can make you a good dog. best o luck!

At 5 months old she should be ready to go afield. The basic obedience should have been introduced at 7 to 12 weeks and training obedience at 12 to 16 weeks.

Buy yourself a book by Richard A. Walters, read it and LIVE by it and you will have an outstanding dog.

If you are not looking for breeding stock ignore all pedigree and focus on parents. Ask for videos of both dogs working in the field and obedience.

If they seem to do well on videos, it will increase your chance of a good pup.

There is no use in looking at 5 years of pedigree if the parents are kennel blind (dumb as rocks).

Can't say this enough. 7 to 12 weeks of a pup's age is the most important part of their life.

Buy the book as mentioned and read it and live by it. Buy the puppy at 5 to 7 weeks old, depending on state laws.One mans "started dog" may be a total nightmare for another man.

Only takes a few minutes a day to start your training. I had thirteen puppies at once (two litters) and started working with them at 4 weeks old. With that many pups and working full time job, they got less than a few minutes a day and the results were outstanding. I worked with them in the morning and in the evening.

If you have any questions let me know.

Good Luck !

So short answer is not to buy a 5 month old "started" dog?

To each his own...but I wouldn't purchase a "started" dog without meeting the dog in person. I would ship an 8 week puppy, but not a 5month old puppy without seeing it first.

Whatever route you choose, BirdDogWebb is spot on about Rich Walters.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back