0/10

I’m a sheep hunter. At least that’s what I tell myself. I grew up in CO where the sheep was the logo for CPW and still is today. I played Rocky Mountain Trophy Hunter with my brother (when he’d let me) until late in the evening. I have a fascination with them.

On the way up, I saw the resident herd in their winter grounds. Over 20 ewes and lambs just grazing next to the big river here. I’ve watched this herd for 10 years. As I drove by them, I just got discouraged and told myself, “you idiot, you barely have 1 point”. I figure by the time I draw, it will be my first and last sheep hunt. Elk are my favorite animal to hunt, but I am a sheep hunter.

Preseason scouting was a complete disaster. Only got 4 hours of sleep. My stove ate through wood and didn’t slow burn. I woke up 3 times and ran out of wood by 3 AM. Dad and I got fed up and slept in his truck. We had a very late morning where we didn’t communicate well.

We ended driving a forest service road that was so bad I had to guide him back to town just to get out of that mess. Only scratch was on the rim and a broken thumb mail from folding my little camp stove.

The good news: elk are here. They managed to migrate over from the first snow and windstorm. The fresh dusting of snow revealed they’re a mile away from camp. Weather is supposed to be hot for the rest of the season so (I think) they’re staying in the same mountain range we are. The plan is to get as high up and glass. Dad would rather bushwhack, so I told him to do that on the other side while looking for his snagged toothed muley.

Tomorrow is the day. Dad says he’s gonna shoot the first deer he sees. I, however, will take all season to find at least a five point bull.

The good

Woke up and decided to head to lower country to glass. Found a guy who got lucky on some sheds. However, I got luckier and glassed my first mule deer. He was staging does in this small open patch where they were clearing timber. Glassed him from 3 miles away as the crow flies.

The bad

Dad decided to pass on him because my scope couldn’t catch how many points he has. Also, no elk except the cow dad jumped. The badder part is she was high up. Very high up.

The ugly

I decided to go down low because I woke up with a raging headache. Altitude sickness finally caught up to me. I was good for the first two days and today it hurt bad. I write to you sitting in my tent with the stove running not going on my evening hunt because it’s so bad. Giving it one more day to adjust, otherwise, camp will be broke down and we’re going lower.

It’s hard to be strong today.

We’ll stay positive here. Here’s some good views.

Attachments

• 42901B1D-E436-4391-80EC-938F0661CE3D.jpeg
    42901B1D-E436-4391-80EC-938F0661CE3D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 35
  • FFEBBB65-33C7-4D25-B630-EA26377F763F.jpeg
    FFEBBB65-33C7-4D25-B630-EA26377F763F.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 396685F4-2801-4DE3-9CC4-9D364CE6A4EA.jpeg
    396685F4-2801-4DE3-9CC4-9D364CE6A4EA.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 32
  • B9DAF324-B756-44D3-9965-A46C05F56142.jpeg
    B9DAF324-B756-44D3-9965-A46C05F56142.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 34
You ever run into the situation of you felt like you did all the right things but still didn’t turn up game? That happened today.

I took a page out of Uncle Randy’s book and had gone to a place where no one else would. There was a gated UTV trail that closed for the year. There was still some snow but no boot tracks. Bingo.

I walked 2 miles in and found a bend in the trail that oversaw a huge drainage. North facing slopes to be exact. I glassed there all morning and didn’t find a thing. I walked away convinced that there was a bull in there but I couldnt find him. I base this on the hoof print the size of my hand.

I scouted some other access that ended up doing some minor damage to my truck. Unfortunately, those glassing spots were on the unit border at 12000’. I’m convinced bulls are there too but I can’t access it. Disgruntled, I glassed an accessible mountain until dark. Again, nothing.

Do I go back or move on? I think I go back honestly. I have two more spots to glass so maybe I let that trail “marinate”.

Hard to say, but if there aren't any other hunters in those spots and you're pretty confident there are elk there I'd give it another glassing session. It can be pretty tough to see them in the timber and they may not be out in meadows very long in the morning/evening during shooting light. Might want to get off the trail and find a different vantage point as well.

Hard to say, but if there aren't any other hunters in those spots and you're pretty confident there are elk there I'd give it another glassing session. It can be pretty tough to see them in the timber and they may not be out in meadows very long in the morning/evening during shooting light. Might want to get off the trail and find a different vantage point as well.
I agreed with you before you wrote this and had a morning full of fortune. I’m closer than I’ve ever been.

Saying this now; if I don’t harvest, I leave with fulfillment.

I’m faced with another tough decision but don’t want to post just yet. Next post on Wednesday.

Attachments

• D863FBE6-31E8-44CC-8420-4B9891DCD41F.jpeg
    D863FBE6-31E8-44CC-8420-4B9891DCD41F.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 40
Looks to me like you should take up golfing or tennis. lol

Just kidding of course. Just keep after it and you will get it done eventually!

Last edited:
Well I hate to admit it but I write in utter disappointment. Unfortunately, I missed my chance.

Tuesday morning I spotted the bulls going over the top of that mountain. This was on my final day of the hunt so I thought they may come back around. I was low on fuel and thought it would be a long night. For better or for worse, I left to go stock up on fuel and food/water just in case I needed to camp in my truck for the night. They were found at 12000’ and that road was not truck friendly.

So I go back and get there at 2:30, hike up to my ambush spot at 3:30. I had envisioned myself taking a 250 yard shot. And the bull toppling over on the side of the oak brush. I then saw myself walking over to it and sitting there talking to him saying “I’ve been looking for you for 10 years”. It was a vivid daydream, so much it made me choke up a bit. I snapped and woke up saying “we’re not there yet, stay humble”.

I stayed there all afternoon until last light. The bulls never showed up.

I had a long talk with myself on the side of that divide. The same talk I had earlier this year after my failed pronghorn stalks. Where did I go wrong, are you even cut out for this, do you know what you’re doing, you’re embarrassing yourself, blah blah.

In hindsight, this was the most exhilarating and emotional roller coaster hunt I’ve ever had. Those bulls taught me more than anyone in this forum will ever teach me. Just when you have it figured out, they change it up on you. And my obsessive behavior won’t let it go. I’ll happily go 0/20 if it means I get just 1. I knew going in this would be a tough hunt and it was. I had a week to prepare, escout and research the unit as best as I could. To be able to pull that off and at least locate migrating bulls, I can celebrate the little victories.

What I do know is that after this year of investing in good equipment and understanding the terrain and taking time to research the unit and the animal, I ended up being right. I was at the right time and 1000 yards too short. That’s the closest I’ve ever been. And with that, I’m content. Not happy. Content. Next year will be different.

Alas, we still have a chance to go 1/10 this year. My wife reminded me of my firearm tags for deer that I’ve had for awhile. I’m trying ti stay humble but I believe that’s when the gap will be closed. God willing.

I’m exhausted, and I’ve posted too much on this elk hunt. I’ll probably slow down on this a bit and do a few more posts on the conclusion of the firearm seasons and archery season. Right now, we’re in panic mode. And my attention needs to be on maps and terrain. I’ll hunt these whitetail in 3’ of snow if that’s what it takes.

Anyway, thank you all for following along. Sorry that it was a letdown. But ultimately this was the best elk trip I’ve ever had. This will be the one I tell my kids when they need a humbling moment. Stay tuned, we’re not done just yet.

Also, I found a bull moose at 11000’ and a ram at 10000’. This unit is such a gem. Mother Nature is fair. You put in the work and you get rewarded with spotting so much game and two sheds.

Attachments

• 5B099600-7747-4053-A4FB-B1D0D377E970.jpeg
    5B099600-7747-4053-A4FB-B1D0D377E970.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 02EA90E4-CCB7-4FFA-A691-266161A672E7.jpeg
    02EA90E4-CCB7-4FFA-A691-266161A672E7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 13CC8954-173E-4CC8-828F-A65DB1FAB57E.jpeg
    13CC8954-173E-4CC8-828F-A65DB1FAB57E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
  • 7D3DE9F3-9526-4293-A873-D8DFD2C65DE1.jpeg
    7D3DE9F3-9526-4293-A873-D8DFD2C65DE1.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 55A8F03F-84DA-4FE1-A3B5-B857754856DA.jpeg
    55A8F03F-84DA-4FE1-A3B5-B857754856DA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 60D38738-010A-4C7F-A3D6-E8EFA8B1D952.jpeg
    60D38738-010A-4C7F-A3D6-E8EFA8B1D952.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • B5FB84D8-5150-4704-9CB6-829D4BDF470A.jpeg
    B5FB84D8-5150-4704-9CB6-829D4BDF470A.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 25
Congratulations on your best elk trip ever.

Keep plugging away. Best wishes for your next tag adventure.

I can definitely relate to the dry spell. But keep at it and eventually the pieces will start to fall in place.

2010: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice (saw one doe coming over a ridge at about 10 yards and she bolted and never presented a shot - I had a youth tag)
2011: ID OTC Mule Deer - Harvested a forky buck on opening day with a 238 yard shot out of my .30-.06.
2012: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice and no encounters.
2013: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice and no encounters.
2015: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice and no encounters.
2016: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer - No dice but had 2 encounters. One just not quite within my range, the other was a missed shot. Didn't have time to range and shot just underneath.
2017: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer - No dice but had 2 encounters. One was not near bow range. The other was just outside of bow range and didn't cooperate after a 3 and a half hour stalk...
2019: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer and Elk - No dice on either. Did see one cow in elk season but outside of my bow range and she disappeared.
2020: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer and Elk - No dice on either. Backpacked in about 2 miles in steep horse country and found a deep drainage. First morning had a doe at 35 yards in a burn, but my arrow hit a limb and missed her. The next morning, I got into elk and had a spike at 40, but he spooked before he walked into the shooting lanes I had. Heard several bugling bulls this trip but never saw them.
2021: ID Archery OTC Elk - No dice. Hiked all over with no sighting of an elk. Saw fresh cow sign the first day in and would hear a bugling bull every morning and every night at the same times, but he wouldn't ever move until dark. Never could get eyes on him or locate him.
2022: ID Archery OTC Elk - No dice. Backpacked in. First morning there, was full draw on the biggest cow elk I've ever seen at 25 yards, but there was a small tree in front of her blocking all vitals. When I drew back, my arrow made a slight sound on my riser, and she locked onto me and eventually took off without providing a chance for me to get a shot. That same day, about 4 hours later, got into 2 6 point bulls. Once stayed around 55 yards but not in a shooting lane. I had my day laying cow calls about 50 yards behind me. I was behind a tree and the other 6 point was standing a yard and a half away on the other side of the tree. In the mix of adrenaline, nervousness, and excitement, I punched my trigger mid draw and spooked the bull. He had no idea I was even there until I made that mistake. Never saw him or the other 6 point again. That same evening after a long water run, we were hiking back to camp and got into some cows and a bugling bull. Unfortunately for me, I was stuck in the middle of a boulder field with no clear view to where the bull was bugling and chuckling. I could hear him take 1 or 2 steps onto the rocks but he wouldn't come closer. He eventually winded us and we never saw any elk again after that.

The only thing that keeps me going is my determination to never fail. And as far as I am concerned, the only way I fail now is if I quit. I know that when I eventually hit the home run and everything comes together, that every short coming previously will all be worth it. Stay determined and remain persistent. It may take several years but dedicate yourself to an area and continue to put the pieces together year after year. Best of luck!

I can definitely relate to the dry spell. But keep at it and eventually the pieces will start to fall in place.

2010: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice (saw one doe coming over a ridge at about 10 yards and she bolted and never presented a shot - I had a youth tag)
2011: ID OTC Mule Deer - Harvested a forky buck on opening day with a 238 yard shot out of my .30-.06.
2012: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice and no encounters.
2013: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice and no encounters.
2015: ID OTC Mule Deer - No dice and no encounters.
2016: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer - No dice but had 2 encounters. One just not quite within my range, the other was a missed shot. Didn't have time to range and shot just underneath.
2017: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer - No dice but had 2 encounters. One was not near bow range. The other was just outside of bow range and didn't cooperate after a 3 and a half hour stalk...
2019: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer and Elk - No dice on either. Did see one cow in elk season but outside of my bow range and she disappeared.
2020: ID Archery OTC Mule Deer and Elk - No dice on either. Backpacked in about 2 miles in steep horse country and found a deep drainage. First morning had a doe at 35 yards in a burn, but my arrow hit a limb and missed her. The next morning, I got into elk and had a spike at 40, but he spooked before he walked into the shooting lanes I had. Heard several bugling bulls this trip but never saw them.
2021: ID Archery OTC Elk - No dice. Hiked all over with no sighting of an elk. Saw fresh cow sign the first day in and would hear a bugling bull every morning and every night at the same times, but he wouldn't ever move until dark. Never could get eyes on him or locate him.
2022: ID Archery OTC Elk - No dice. Backpacked in. First morning there, was full draw on the biggest cow elk I've ever seen at 25 yards, but there was a small tree in front of her blocking all vitals. When I drew back, my arrow made a slight sound on my riser, and she locked onto me and eventually took off without providing a chance for me to get a shot. That same day, about 4 hours later, got into 2 6 point bulls. Once stayed around 55 yards but not in a shooting lane. I had my day laying cow calls about 50 yards behind me. I was behind a tree and the other 6 point was standing a yard and a half away on the other side of the tree. In the mix of adrenaline, nervousness, and excitement, I punched my trigger mid draw and spooked the bull. He had no idea I was even there until I made that mistake. Never saw him or the other 6 point again. That same evening after a long water run, we were hiking back to camp and got into some cows and a bugling bull. Unfortunately for me, I was stuck in the middle of a boulder field with no clear view to where the bull was bugling and chuckling. I could hear him take 1 or 2 steps onto the rocks but he wouldn't come closer. He eventually winded us and we never saw any elk again after that.

The only thing that keeps me going is my determination to never fail. And as far as I am concerned, the only way I fail now is if I quit. I know that when I eventually hit the home run and everything comes together, that every short coming previously will all be worth it. Stay determined and remain persistent. It may take several years but dedicate yourself to an area and continue to put the pieces together year after year. Best of luck!
Thanks for sharing and giving encouraging words. Sun is setting on the year but we have time for a whitetail. Sadly, it will be my last attempt at a Midwest whitetail for the rest of my life (probably), so the pressure is on.

Thanks for sharing and giving encouraging words. Sun is setting on the year but we have time for a whitetail. Sadly, it will be my last attempt at a Midwest whitetail for the rest of my life (probably), so the pressure is on.
I am optimistic that we will be seeing a picture of a midwest whitetail before too long! Pulling for ya!

@perma we have a group of people over on shotgunforum.com that do an annual pheasant hunt in SW MO. We're doing it again Dec 10th - 11th at 4-B's hunting lodge. I think you'd love it if you came along with us. My buddy and I drive up from FL and do duck hunting at Reelfoot Lake in W. Tenn. on Tues - Thurs, they Friday drive over to Stark City, MO for the Sat - Sun pheasant hunt. Some guys bring their dogs, while the rest of us use the dogs from the lodge. It's less about the kill and more about the hunt and the socializing. We need to knock the lid off that basket that you're stuck in and get you some birds. LMK if you're interested.

Jim

@perma we have a group of people over on shotgunforum.com that do an annual pheasant hunt in SW MO. We're doing it again Dec 10th - 11th at 4-B's hunting lodge. I think you'd love it if you came along with us. My buddy and I drive up from FL and do duck hunting at Reelfoot Lake in W. Tenn. on Tues - Thurs, they Friday drive over to Stark City, MO for the Sat - Sun pheasant hunt. Some guys bring their dogs, while the rest of us use the dogs from the lodge. It's less about the kill and more about the hunt and the socializing. We need to knock the lid off that basket that you're stuck in and get you some birds. LMK if you're interested.

Jim
I would 100% accept that. The problem is that those dates align with my muzzleloader permit dates. Those would be the last two days. =[ whomp whomp

Back