'09 hog hunt

snake river rufus

Planning one for S/W texas now. Aiming for the first weekend in apr. Anybody wishing to come along should PM me. Where ever we end up hunting will not be a game farm or a resort and will have javalinas as an option.
I'm also trying to stay away from places that have a price scale based on weight or tusk length.

Definitely keep me posted! This fall was pretty slow for me, so I'm really, really getting the itch to wack some critters and pigs would fit that bill nicely!

I'm moving to SW Texas in about two weeks. Keep me posted as well, I may be able to join you.

To answer some PMs
I won't book at a bow only place or a place so small that 4 or 5 guys will be hunting the same ground everyday. If they only offer stand hunting- pass. Places that book all year round or have odd guide lines ( only 1 hog with visible tusks, etc) will be checked out very throughly.

Right now I'm leaning towards a place near Freer @ $125 a day. The cooking would be on us along with the butchering. It's not that big of a deal unless we get a lot of hogs down.
It is a working cattle ranch so we would have to keep Tom under control.:D these cows would not be for shooting.
Any strong feelings ?

1 pointer, it's a good area and the bag limit on this ranch is unlimited on hogs, bobcats, coyotes- two a year for javis.

I'm going to be booking soon so if anyone is sitting on the fence, let me know soon.
For those that are going keep in mind that a 40 qt cooler will hold two butchered hogs of the #150-#200 class

After looking at my calender I see we have a quarter moon (waxing) on the 2nd with the full moon on apr 9th. Is that going to cause problems for anyone? Personally I'd rather not hunt hogs any closer to the full moon (they get more nocturnal) but if anybody likes hunting at night,,,

sounds like a great time wish I could get out of school to come along. This is sure putting a dent in the hunting but I will soon be done. TX and MT are calling my name. Good luck to any who go, hogs are great fun and the yotes and cats and foxes are also wonderful and easily called. HAPPY HUNTING

I recommend you hunt them at night also. Spring turkey season will be going in April, but that's a $120 over the counter liscense, not the $45 over the counter liscense for hogs (and other exotics) and javelina for non-residents. Its Rio Grande turkeys down there around Freer, if you go there. Varmints, including bobcats, mountain lions, foxes, etc. are covered, with landowner permission, on the $45 liscense too, if you want to call them, or hunt them too, go for it.

Anyone wanting to go should sign on pretty quickly so that I can get it booked for a firm number.
I'll be away from computer access for a couple of weeks starting monday so don't get scared if I don't answer PMs or posts.
Gotta head out to Quintner (where they make some great bullets) to work a feedlot.

SRR, Nice speaking with you last night. Please count my son and I in. What mode of transportation are we allowed on the Ranch? I have a Rhino I can bring. Bedroll, ect. Thanks, John

SRR, Nice speaking with you last night. Please count my son and I in. What mode of transportation are we allowed on the Ranch? I have a Rhino I can bring. Bedroll, ect. Thanks, John

I use feet but send the outfitter an e-mail to be certain if he wants ATVs on his ranch.
we are now looking at hunting on monday the 6th for three days. That will help out you and my buddy at work. he'll get OT for sat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back