Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

08 Pack in Wyoming Hunt

BunkerBean

Guys I had a couple of questions I wanted to ask. I know there are a couple of guys on here from that state.

Is there a benefit to applying for the "special" elk license? My outfitter is halfway between Cody and Yellowstone. Not sure if I can just draw it on the regular.

Is that a good area for elk?

I'm not from Wy. but i would ask your outfitter. Also i would apply this summer for a PP to aid in next years draw.

I did talk to my outfitter about the elk license. He was suggesting the "special". I was just wondering what the difference is, or would I not draw if I did general.

You can check the draw odds for your unit on the WY G&F website, both the regular and special draws. Preference points will make a difference, and I'm not sure if the new odds from this year's draw are up yet.

The special is expensive but if your outfitter is suggesting that's the route to go then i'd listen to him. Not sure who your hunting with but several of my friends quit hunting around Yellowstone because of the low elk numbers;=wolves.

Thanks Oak I will look at that.

280, I am not real sure where he goes. I know they killed good bulls in both archery and rifle last year.

I would find out exactly where you'll be hunting & then start asking questions here or other forums & find out as much information as possible. Have you already booked your hunt? I'm not trying to throw you a curve ball, but guided hunts are damn expensive & i know the elk herd is hurting near yellowstone.

I'm not trying to throw you a curve ball, but guided hunts are damn expensive & i know the elk herd is hurting near yellowstone.

I'm curious, have you ever been in that country 280? The elk herd is not hurting there. In fact they want even more elk killed there. Your buddies are wrong. They might even give out additional cow/calf tags there in '08.

There are a lot of elk up there. It actually makes the elk hunting harder because you have to wait for 20-30 elk to move out of the way just to get a shot. Last fall when I was bowhunting there I saw herds that had around 150 in them. There was no way to put a stalk on with the herds in that big of numbers.

Bunkerbean you are in for a real treat. You'll get to see a lot of elk, a grizzly or two, and if you are very lucky maybe even a wolf. The country is beautiful. In fact Owls Nest is considered the most remote country in the lower 48. Also theres always a chance at a 330-350 bull. Thats what makes the general units up there exciting. Theres always a chance at a big bull as long as you have an elk tag in your pocket.

What outfitter are you going with? Chances are I've ran across them back there in my adventures.

Yes i have & i also archery hunt just North of the park. The point i'm trying to make is the wolves have impacted the elk numbers around Yellowstone & BunkerBean should get as much info as he can about the areas he's hunting. Don't you agree their WDH.

I would find out exactly where you'll be hunting & then start asking questions here or other forums & find out as much information as possible. Have you already booked your hunt? I'm not trying to throw you a curve ball, but guided hunts are damn expensive & i know the elk herd is hurting near yellowstone.

I know I will be going into unit 55 and 56.

Bunkerbean you are in for a real treat. You'll get to see a lot of elk, a grizzly or two, and if you are very lucky maybe even a wolf. The country is beautiful. In fact Owls Nest is considered the most remote country in the lower 48. Also theres always a chance at a 330-350 bull. Thats what makes the general units up there exciting. Theres always a chance at a big bull as long as you have an elk tag in your pocket.

What outfitter are you going with? Chances are I've ran across them back there in my adventures.

Yeah I am looking forward to it. The grizzles will be a new thing. I have seen some wolves where I elk hunt in Idaho.

In fact he said last year one of his hunters sent an arrow over the back and through the trees of a 360 bull. So they are out there.

I am going with Ric Horst of D&R Outfitting.

Yes i have & i also archery hunt just North of the park. The point i'm trying to make is the wolves have impacted the elk numbers around Yellowstone & BunkerBean should get as much info as he can about the areas he's hunting. Don't you agree their WDH.

That is why I posted. I have 100% confidence in my guide, I just thought I would post here and see if any of you guys are familiar with it and the drawing process.

I hope you have a great hunt! If you archery hunt, central Montana's a good spot, I'll be heading back there next year.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back