Youth Bow Advice

RobG

Sam might just get a bow from Santa, but Santa's clueless about bows.

Sam's 12. He's able to pull back a Genesis at 20# but I doubt if he can do much more than that at this time. We need 40# to hunt in MT so he'd have to work up to that. What's a good option?

If anyone has a used one I'd be interested.

Hoyt Charger w/ 50# limbs, if they still make them. My son shot it for 2 years while growing like crazy. He went straight from that to a bow that is too big for me.

Lots of good options out there. Don't rely solely on draw weight, find one with a wide range of draw lengths as well.

Check out this http://missionarchery.com/product/crazeii/

I purchased the earlier model of this bow for my son when he was 10. He's now 14 and uses the same bow to hunt/shoot with. As his draw length increases 1 1/2" to 2" each year, the bow is easily adjusted to accommodate. It adjusts from 19"-30" in draw length and 13-70 lbs in draw weight. I believe Diamond Archery makes a bow with similar adjustability features, I am just partial to Mathews(parent company of Mission). Either way you can purchase one bow until they decide to upgrade with their own earnings:hump:

I just put a Diamond Infinite Edge Pro on layaway for my daughter. If you want something they won't outgrow it's pretty hard to beat it.

My boy got a hoyt ignite. I believe it adjusts from. 15-30 on draw and 20 -70 on weight. It has ibo rating of 300 fps. It's a sweet shooter he loves it. I'd defiantly check it out.

The most recent Outdoor Life reviewed a fleet of kids' bows. Made me wish I had a kid who needed one...
You can buy my kid one. I'll even get him trained up and send him out come hunting season in a couple of years when he's old enough to hunt in ID. :D

I picked up an Infinite Edge Pro for my daughter, then my wife got one and my brother in law got one for my nephew. They are good bows I've maxed out the draw weight and set one up for myself just for fun and it could easily be a viable backup as well.

For those of you that have bought bows for women- is this infinite edge pro the way to go, or does it make sense to not have that huge variable draw length on a bow for a human that I hope is done growing?

Not seeing much for women's specific bows out there...

I purchased a Mission Craze for my wife and she loves it. We went to the archery shop in town and she shot Hoyt, PSE, and the Mission. She said the Mission just felt the most comfortable to her. I like the adjustable aspect of this bow as it will be adjusted when our kids are big enough to shoot. As with any sales experience, customer service can be a deciding factor and the guys at the bow shop made her so comfortable and helped her with her technique and questions. Great first time experience and now she is hooked. Fine be me, because she doesn't get on my case when I come home with a few goodies.

I purchased a Mission Craze for my wife and she loves it. We went to the archery shop in town and she shot Hoyt, PSE, and the Mission. She said the Mission just felt the most comfortable to her. I like the adjustable aspect of this bow as it will be adjusted when our kids are big enough to shoot. As with any sales experience, customer service can be a deciding factor and the guys at the bow shop made her so comfortable and helped her with her technique and questions. Great first time experience and now she is hooked. Fine be me, because she doesn't get on my case when I come home with a few goodies.

+1 on the Craze. I shoot it, pumped up to 70 pounds. Great bow. Can't beat it for $300. They just came out with the Craze II. Looks nice.

My one son has the G5 youth bow and the other has the Diamond Infinite Edge.

Both are great bows. May be to late for this but they were both purchased used off of Archery talk. I paid 60$ of what I would have new. Both boys shoot them well.

Thanks, keep it coming. We'll probably get one for his birthday in the spring.

If that is the case and you are ok giving him a used one go on the Classified on Archery talk.

After buying a handful of bows on there I am not sure if I will ever buy new again. A lot of guys like to buy the latest and greatest every year so there are really great deals.

I got a 1100 crossbow for my old man last year for 600.

My son has a "Mission Menace" which is probably six years old now and it's worked well for a him. The "Menace" was replaced by the "Craze" which I purchased for my daughter (pink one at that). The latest version is call the "Craze II"; if memory serves me correctly, the "Mission" line of bows is owned/made by Mathews. Bought my daughters bow off a local classified ad for $200 with all accessories (sight, whisker biscuit, stabilizer, etc). She used her brother's old arrows and she won a release at an archery shoot.

Diamond Infinity Edge..... The next bow they will need/want they will be able to buy themselves....,. and these bows will shoot..,.,

My son has the Mission Craze as well, and its a fabulous shooter, plus he can shoot it until he wants to buy his own. The Hoyt Ignite is in the same category and could last for many years. They are a bit more expensive than the Diamond, but when you can learn on them and hunt with them later the one time investment makes a lot of sense. Good luck with your decision.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back