PEAX Equipment

your favorite quick hunting camp meal

Elkmagnet

I would really like to hear some of your favorite meals that can be quickly made in camp. I am getting ready for my week long hunt and I can't seem to think of enough meals and no I will not be by a dairy queen. I think I should go first my go to food is breakfast burritos.the week before a hunt we make 16 burritos. (2 people for 8 days) wrap them in aluminum foil and freeze most of them then every morning of the hunt I get up to start a fire in the wood stove in our tent I throw two burritos in the stove. Then by the time we get dressed we have a hot breakfast that we can grab and head out the door.

Ingredients: taco shells
Eggs
Sausage
Potatoes
Cheese

Just cook all ingredients and put in shell easy right?

bean and cheese burritos with cholula or tapatio hot sauce is a quick and easy lunch and they will keep well in your pack. They actually do not taste too bad when they are cold.

Another lunch idea that will keep well and tastes good for lunch, get the tuna that comes in the foil packs and a bagel. Careful not to get any of the tuna on your hunting clothes or equipment. Game animals will smell it, trust me! :D

We also have a recipe for spam sandwichs that is pretty awesome, really! They are Great!
one can of spam
a cup or two of shredded cheddar cheese
one small can of chopped green chilies
tapatio hot sauce
Bag of hard rolls or similar roll

combine first three ingredients mash them up with a potato masher or a large spoon. Add tapatio to taste, more if you like it spicy. Split hard rolls and spread on spam mixture. Wrap in tinfoil. Place in oven on cookie sheet at 300/325 for about 20 to 25 minutes. Just enough to melt the cheese. Throw them in the ice chest until ready to eat. These will also keep very well in the pack. Did I mention that these are awesome? Really!

If you take time to eat breakfast in camp and have a source for good pork tamales, do "over-easy" eggs on top of a couple of the tamales, salt and pepper, and chop them up into a pile. Hard to beat!! If you have a source for Kosher meats, we used to get a nice big smoked white fish and just keep it covered up in the tent for snacks. It also goes well with eggs.

Last edited:
Cameron Hanes favorite...peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. Tasty and high carb content to keep you going for awhile.

I just cook up the meat at home and vacuum pack and freeze them. Toss in boiling water cut open the bag and eat. If I have time will cook a side to go with them.Here are a few I usually make with some sides.

Mole with tortillas and beans or rice (sometimes both).
Beef stew with bread or rolls.
Smoked ham and fried potatoes or potato salad.
Pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw(sometimes baked beans).
Teriyaki chicken and rice.

I'm with Mac7, I cook for the family, make extra and put it up in boiling bags.
Keep a pot of water on the Coleman.
Get back to camp, light the stove and throw in a bag.
By the time I get my boots off and bow/rifle put away, dinner is hot.
Some favorites;

Jambalaya
Beef stew
Shrimp Creole & rice
BBQ pulled pork on a roll
Steak & taters cut into bite size
Terriyaki chicken stir fry & rice
Chili verde & tortillas

I always eat good

Wow thanks guys. There are so many good options the only 1 week to eat them all. wyopitz I have eaten the peanut butter bacon and honey sandwiches on my backpack hunts and I have to agree they are great. Keep the ideas coming please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back