Caribou Gear

You want to see hate.

According to my notes, I shot this deer at 80 yards broadside with a .22 magnum behind the shoulder. Deer went about 25 yards and that was that. Only deer I've ever shot with a rimfire. I also found the bullet a CCI hollow point under the hide on the off-side, expanded to about the size of a dime.

muledeerdoe.JPG

The same day my buddy shot one with a 25/20 lever action and IMO, the .22 magnum worked much better. That being said, they both worked just fine.

The .06 seemed to be a forgotten caliber when I got my first rifle, 300 win mag, whether that was misperception or not. Wonder how popular/unpopular it is today?

I shot quite a number of elk with a 30/06 in the 80's through about 1993-94. The last one a few years back with my Dad's pre-64 model 70 Winchester. Shot it with a 180 grain nosler partition....about 150 yards away.

Worked just fine.

DSC00089.JPG

The .06 seemed to be a forgotten caliber when I got my first rifle, 300 win mag, whether that was misperception or not. Wonder how popular/unpopular it is today?
It just needs a catchy new name and some marketing to re-invent it :cool: The new 7.63 Martin. Comes with a flat brim hat and rebate for coldsmoke...

Shot quite a few whitetails with the 06 and always did just fine if I did my part. Probably my favorite memory was a small 8pt buck the day after Christmas 1995, he stepped out in a cut bean field about 30 min before dark and I was toting the M1 Garand and dropped him at 120 yds. Never forget that white racked buck.

Started with a 30-30 and worked my way up to the magnums over the years. Finally came back to the 06. They all kill stuff. Tried to figure up what all calibers I've killed deer with, I think 6 or 7. The 06 and the 7-08 are the only non heirloom rifles that really get any time out anymore. Shoot what makes you happy. I personally love the old 06.

According to my notes, I shot this deer at 80 yards broadside with a .22 magnum behind the shoulder. Deer went about 25 yards and that was that. Only deer I've ever shot with a rimfire. I also found the bullet a CCI hollow point under the hide on the off-side, expanded to about the size of a dime.

muledeerdoe.JPG

The same day my buddy shot one with a 25/20 lever action and IMO, the .22 magnum worked much better. That being said, they both worked just fine.

Where was that?

I don't NEED much of anything from you. Just curiosity? Any reason why that seems bother you?

Yes, there is a reason...tired of the Barney Fife internet deputy crew thinking that anyone that has success in hunting, must be doing something wrong. That combined with the propensity of same, to report their "sleuthing" to the various GF agencies and waste a bunch of time for all involved. Insecurity and jealousy are a lousy combination.

For the record, there wasn't then, and still isn't any caliber restriction in Montana that I'm aware of. I also don't intend to ever shoot another deer with a rimfire.

To answer your question, it was on the largest private ranch in Blaine County Montana. Shot it on November 8, 1997. Shot a 5x4 mule deer buck the next day, November 9, 1997 with a 25/06. The only deer I've ever shot with that round, also one of only 2 bucks that I killed on that ranch over the ten year period we hunted there.

Yes, there is a reason...tired of the Barney Fife internet deputy crew thinking that anyone that has success in hunting, must be doing something wrong. That combined with the propensity of same, to report their "sleuthing" to the various GF agencies and waste a bunch of time for all involved. Insecurity and jealousy are a lousy combination.

For the record, there wasn't then, and still isn't any caliber restriction in Montana that I'm aware of. I also don't intend to ever shoot another deer with a rimfire.

To answer your question, it was on the largest private ranch in Blaine County Montana. Shot it on November 8, 1997. Shot a 5x4 mule deer buck the next day, November 9, 1997 with a 25/06. The only deer I've ever shot with that round, also one of only 2 bucks that I killed on that ranch over the ten year period we hunted there.

I wasn't searching for your honey hole. Just putting a place with the time - which I reckoned to be closer to 30 yds bp than 20.

Did your buddy shoot his .25-20 deer with a commercial jacketed bullet or cast lead and what was so unsatifactory about the result?

My name is Brent, not Barney Fife... Trust me on that.

Hate is such a strong word and today’s society has watered it down with perceived differences. Most of which would get resolved over a cup of coffee.

Try completing a midnight cell shakedown for contraband and throwing out half the inmates’s commissary for facilities’ rules violations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back