You can't eat the scenery...

Pinecricker

...I've been seeing lots of pics of high desert country on here, so I thought I'd share some of the green jungle we hunt in.

Slow season so far. A pack of wolves have moved into my favorite drainage, which has kept the elk quiet and on the move. I almost toasted one of the wolves on Saturday, but was a little too slow on the draw. He hit the JATO's before I could get a bead on him.

It has been very dry and warm too, which hasn't made it any easier as a lot of the feed is down early, and its hard to move quietly.

A ridge I have been spending time on.
201510_Knob.jpg

Looking down on the whole drainage.
201510_North.jpg

Looking back across from at where the above photo was taken from.
201510_South.jpg

End of the road at the bottom of one of the creeks.
201510_Bridge.jpg

Good year for ruffies
201510_Bird.jpg

Cleaned up while out scouting.
201510_Ruffies.jpg

One of the wallows I've been spending time on
201510_Wallow.jpg

Little Bull Moose
201510_Moose.jpg

I've seen quite a few mule deer this year, they are normally rare in these parts.
201510_Mulie.jpg

Hopefully I can close the deal this coming weekend. We are down to a two week, bulls only season now. They keep cutting it shorter and shorter each year. Oh for the good old days when we could hunt from September through December - archery, rifle and muzzle loader with a single OTC tag (and over 6 weeks of either sex).

That's a ridiculous wallow!!!
I completely lost the elk I was hunting so it's on to antelope with my wifes tag this weekend. Best of luck! Thanks for the pictures!!

That's a ridiculous wallow!!!
I completely lost the elk I was hunting so it's on to antelope with my wifes tag this weekend. Best of luck! Thanks for the pictures!!

It looked like a barn yard in there during archery season, but they haven't been hitting is as regularly now as its dried up quite a bit. There are two wallows that size within a hundred yards of each other. Its one of those places that for some reason, no one else but me has found yet :) I noticed it on the topo map.

Great pics. Thanks for the share. I love all the country Idaho has to offer but don't miss hunting the jungle! Looks like a bull could ge tlost in that country and get some age on him. Hopefully you'll meet him.
-Cade

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back