Yardbuck in velvet

looking at that pic from last year, he seems to have some extra crab claws going on this year.

I "almost" had a deer tag for my home unit during the Co leftover draw debacle. It allocated me the tag but died in checkout like so many others. At the current rate this buck will be dead of old age long before I can draw a tag. Sure are cool to look at though, I saw about 15 bucks hanging together a few days ago.

Leftover ! Why wouldn't it be your first choice ! Shoot that bugger

Leftover ! Why wouldn't it be your first choice ! Shoot that bugger

It would take 3 PP's and the first choice selection. I only have 1 point currently. In all honesty, even though legal, I would have a hard time walking out of my house and sticking him. He simply doesn't care about my presence. I would absolutely hunt other areas in my unit hoping for someone else neighborhood buck to walk by though.

He's a dandy for sure, I can see why your not too high on taking him. Watching him grow and become comfortable around you and your family is pretty unique especially with a buck of that caliber. Thanks for sharing keep em coming!

Along with him not caring about human presence, there is also the matter of neighborhood culture unfortunately. If I was able to draw a bow tag, chances are he would run bleeding through a few peoples yard and with my luck probably curl up and die on someones door step. These CO professor types and their wives are surprising militant.

That being said I did spend about 15 years hunting neighborhood whitetails in ATL Ga, loved every second of it. During that time I also had a 600 acre deer lease way down in S Ga. I could hunt neighborhoods around ATL, see 20 deer in a sitting, multiple nice bucks. Drive out to the deer lease in the country the next few days and not see a deer the entire time. Eerily similar to my recent and first elk hunt in CO. I have to push bugling elk out of the way in my neighborhood to leave on my first ever elk hunt. Get out into to the elk woods above Granby for a week, never saw an elk. Neither did my fellow 30 hunters I shared trail with. First morning back home in Evergreen, herd bull bugles me awake.

20180929_102428.jpg

He's a dandy for sure, I can see why your not too high on taking him. Watching him grow and become comfortable around you and your family is pretty unique especially with a buck of that caliber. Thanks for sharing keep em coming!

Very glad to see this guy again. Full disclosure, I spent my deer points on a Unit 39 tag last season. In accordance with Murphy's Law, 2 cats showed up in my neighborhood right before archery season. Since they showed, I have not seen a mature buck in my yard, much less yard buck. Still plenty of young deer around though. Being old and having that rack, I figured he was dead or somewhere far away from cats. But he lives 🥳

20200601_063718.jpg
20200601_063728.jpg

Back