Yard sale shotty

T Bone

The neighbors had a yard sale...I spied a filthy shotgun piled in with some yard tools.

It was rusted, caked in dirt, and the action was gummed so badly that it wouldn't cycle or dry fire.
JC Higgins model 20 was mine for a ridiculous price.

After about 2 hours of scrubbing, brushing and cleaning, it's a slick machine.
The only bad is that there was no choke tube in the contraption on the end.
If I can't find a tube, it's going to get chopped.20190602_205625.jpg20190602_205650.jpg

Can't tell, but would that be an adjustable choke? Screw it in or out to adjust?

Can't tell, but would that be an adjustable choke? Screw it in or out to adjust?

It is different than the poly-choke. This one has screw in tubes. The odd thing was that there is a gap between the end of the barrel and the choke tube, marketed as a recoil reducer. Strange.

Found some tubes on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerPac-J...411654?hash=item41fec843c6:g:0EgAAOSwAn9crjjH

I'm not sure if I'm going to go that route or chop it.
The gummed up action was something else. I wish I'd of taken "before" pictures.

The shotgun was made by Hi Standard. After stripping it down, the quality is impressive.

Oh man, my dad doesn't hunt but when I wanted to go as a kid he got a client of his to take us. When the widow neighbor heard he was coming along she gave him her husbands old gun. Samething in a 12 Ga. I lost track of it but I think my bro has it right now.

Last edited:
I have one just like it, a 12 gauge with a modified choke. My first gun. My Dad bought it for me, it was a used gun.

Back