Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Yar-Craft?

Addicting

Anyone have any experience with these boats? I’m looking for an inexpensive walleye boat and this came up in my search. I like the idea of fiberglass over aluminum for the river. The extra weight seem to come in handy on windy days. Seems all this one would need is a good electric trolling motor. Providing one could be mounted to the bow.

IMG_2347.jpeg

IMG_2348.jpeg

I’d have a mechanic check over the engine. Take it for water test, maybe 2.
We have a place locally you can take it to drop it off and they do a very thorough inspection.

I’ve always had aluminum and never a fiberglass boat. I don’t even know what to look for.

I had an 1987 yarcraft. It ended up having a rotten transom and I got rid of it.

That being said, I went to an aluminum boat, kept it for a year and a half and sold it and bought my 2016 Warrior 2090. Fiberglass is so much better than aluminum. If the motor is good, make sure you have the transom checked out too and if those are good, then I wouldn't shy away from it.

After 3 years with a Warrior, I would suggest finding a used Warrior. They're amazing boats.

If the river you fish is forcing you in the skinny water quite a bit, I would not buy fiberglass. The bigger the water and waves, the more a fiberglass boat makes sense. Skinny water, rocks, sandbars, floating logs, etc....that screams aluminum boat to me. I own a 20.5 foot fiberglass yar-craft, and I fish in the Missouri in the spring, but the advantages of fiberglass are apparent in big water.

If the river you fish is forcing you in the skinny water quite a bit, I would not buy fiberglass. The bigger the water and waves, the more a fiberglass boat makes sense. Skinny water, rocks, sandbars, floating logs, etc....that screams aluminum boat to me. I own a 20.5 foot fiberglass yar-craft, and I fish in the Missouri in the spring, but the advantages of fiberglass are apparent in big water.
The Detroit river has some shallow spots but most of it is big water. We were 20’ off shore last year and fishing a 32’ to 40’ shelf.

The Detroit river has some shallow spots but most of it is big water. We were 20’ off shore last year and fishing a 32’ to 40’ shelf.
A river isn't big water in almost any example. "Big water" has a larger surface area that makes it conducive for the wind to create waves. For example, I fish Lake Sakakawea quite a bit, and it can have 2 or 3 foot rollers on it pretty easily with a west wind. If you're 20 or 30 miles from the boat dock in a 20 mph wind, that's where a fiberglass boat will shine and an aluminum boat will beat you up. In a river, whether it's the detroit, missouri, mississippi, or whatever, it's pretty rare to be fishing in wave conditions like that. River's aren't wide enough and they change directions to many times for wind to really be able to pick up steam and create waves. I've fished the Missouri in the spring in 25 mph winds, there wasn't a wave on the water at all. Sakakawea in those same conditions would've had white caps accross the whole lake. Aluminum boat would've been limited to 10-15 mph and it would still beat you up. I could drive 40 in my fiberglass and its a much smoother ride.

Outside of concerns about the motor....

As some one already said transom integrity is probably biggest concern. A boat of that age probably has wood glassed in place. Look for stress cracking at the corners that could indicate flex. Small cracks in gelcoat is not to be unexpected. Look for cracking into fiber glass. Pull on lower unit looking for flex. Inspect bilge area looking for rot and feeling for soft spots.

Check the bottom of hull for holes or cracks that could allow water penetration. Inspect bow/sides for spider cracking that my be a result off rough ride flexing hull into contact with interior structure of boat.

Inspect all compartments looking for water damage. It's nice but not always possible to see stringers through hatches.

Check entire deck for soft spots.

A river isn't big water in almost any example. "Big water" has a larger surface area that makes it conducive for the wind to create waves. For example, I fish Lake Sakakawea quite a bit, and it can have 2 or 3 foot rollers on it pretty easily with a west wind. If you're 20 or 30 miles from the boat dock in a 20 mph wind, that's where a fiberglass boat will shine and an aluminum boat will beat you up. In a river, whether it's the detroit, missouri, mississippi, or whatever, it's pretty rare to be fishing in wave conditions like that. River's aren't wide enough and they change directions to many times for wind to really be able to pick up steam and create waves. I've fished the Missouri in the spring in 25 mph winds, there wasn't a wave on the water at all. Sakakawea in those same conditions would've had white caps accross the whole lake. Aluminum boat would've been limited to 10-15 mph and it would still beat you up. I could drive 40 in my fiberglass and its a much smoother ride.
The Detroit gets all the problems of the big water depending on the wind direction. It is not uncommon to be in up to 4-5’ chop if the wind blows from the north or south. @Steelsearchin can attest to how nasty it can get.

The owner of that boat never responded to me looking at it and was sold in less than a day. It must of been a good deal. However, this info is all good stuff to know. Thanks

Bust Out Another Thousand...

A friend told me a long ago, "sometimes you gotta miss out on a deal or two before you realize they were a deal in the first place." He was talking houses, but it applies to anything.

On the other hand, I've watched a buddy ask so many questions about a used out of state boat that the seller just said "nope, next man up..." and he missed out by his own undoing. It's a tough balance. Took me a few years to find what I wanted.

Great time of year to be shopping for a deal and I'll still keep my eyes out for you!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back