Yakima, WA

The farthest mountain is Mt Hood.

Good luck with your decision!

You can buy a lot of adventure with the $20,000 per year saved in tuition. On the other hand if the educational benefits of PNU are worth the extra expense then it might be worth the time in Washington.
Attaining a Postgraduate degree can be a stressful endeavor. Having family and friends near by can be a great support group or add to the stress depending on family dynamics.
It sounds like your trip has giving you a fair evaluation of the city of Yakima. Having spent many summers of my youth at my Grandparents house in what is now one of the rougher parts of town, I can say that there are some great people in the area but the town has changed in the last 35 years. My Uncle and his family still live in Yakima, but have moved to the outskirts of town because of crime in the inner city. Plenty of beautiful country just outside of Yakima for weekend getaways. Good luck with your decision and congratulations to your wife for being accepted to two different Universities. It is a great problem to have.

Being from Washington I'm biased. Rimrock lake, white pass, Rainier, Chelan, Leavenworth, the Blue mountains...and salmon.

Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone is best. I'd say go for it, you can always go home later.

I don't think it can be overstated enough that everyone should move outside of their comfort zone at some point in their life.

I'm in a different but similar situation with regard to following my wife to medical school although it meant moving to Chicago and away from my family, easy hunting and connections in Missouri. As a life experience it has been invaluable despite the temporary drop in hunting success it has made me a better hunter and a better person despite the fact I spent the first 2 years complaining about my situation.

Living in a different place forced me to think of hunting on a different level and I think it is too easy to become complacent when you hunt the same place year after year, or at least it doesn't push you outside of the box when thinking about how you hunt the same place.

If I had never left Missouri I would be hunting the same few places probably more successfully in the immediate, but I wouldn't have gone to hunt Wyoming and started thinking about the priority of other western hunts and even Alaska/New Zealand as doable things.

The longer you put off leaving your comfort zone the harder it becomes to do so.

Outside of hunting on a personal level I believe that doing different things in different places makes it very hard to become a closed minded individual than it is while staying in one place.

I don't think it can be overstated enough that everyone should move outside of their comfort zone at some point in their life.

I'm in a different but similar situation with regard to following my wife to medical school although it meant moving to Chicago and away from my family, easy hunting and connections in Missouri. As a life experience it has been invaluable despite the temporary drop in hunting success it has made me a better hunter and a better person despite the fact I spent the first 2 years complaining about my situation.

Living in a different place forced me to think of hunting on a different level and I think it is too easy to become complacent when you hunt the same place year after year, or at least it doesn't push you outside of the box when thinking about how you hunt the same place.

If I had never left Missouri I would be hunting the same few places probably more successfully in the immediate, but I wouldn't have gone to hunt Wyoming and started thinking about the priority of other western hunts and even Alaska/New Zealand as doable things.

The longer you put off leaving your comfort zone the harder it becomes to do so.

Outside of hunting on a personal level I believe that doing different things in different places makes it very hard to become a closed minded individual than it is while staying in one place.

Couldn't agree more. I always encourage people to move away from home after college or at some point. My wife and I moved to Omaha, NE right out of college and it has helped us grow being that we had to figure everything out ourselves. We know at some point we want to go back home but not sure if this is the right time or not.

What school did your wife go to? Thanks for your input.

Being from Washington I'm biased. Rimrock lake, white pass, Rainier, Chelan, Leavenworth, the Blue mountains...and salmon.

Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone is best. I'd say go for it, you can always go home later.

Yeah all of those things you listed are awesome. I'm especially excited about potentially fishing for salmon. You make a great point about it being easy to go back home. The tough part is all the family experiences we will miss out on.

There is something to be said about both. My wife and I have lived all over, sometimes close to family and sometimes not so close. We live about a half hour from my brother now, and six hours away from her family. Used to be the opposite.

Go with what your heart is telling you guys to do. We've turned down a few moves that were "great opportunities", but just didn't feel right.

Agree with jryoung, but then I am biased also having grown up in Ellensburg. Hunting may not be the best because the Game Dept. manages for quantity and not quality, but there is opportunity every year, Rocky and Roosevelt elk, mule, white-tail and black-tail deer, California and Rocky mtn sheep, upland birds, waterfowl, freshwater and anadromous fishing, three species of turkeys, black bear and hopefully in the near future wolves.

What school did your wife go to? Thanks for your input.

Northwestern

Another thing is that I lived a few places in Missouri and Kansas other than at home and while they were different, they weren't really providing much as far as life experiences different than at home. Moving to Chicago and living in a high rise is quite a different experience than when I lived in Kansas City even after going to school in a town of 16,000.

Clearly being Omaha meant being away from family in ND, but it's not that different in the grand scheme of things. Washington and the possibility of Alaska is different on a much higher level. Clearly the quality of the education and fit matter quite a bit, it's why I'm not living in Iowa right now like my first choice of my wife's school was.

I think whenever you move to a new area you have to adjust your hunting/recreation to what is readily available or at least evaluate what is worth traveling for if you don't have good local opportunities.

Another thing that's worthwhile is to buy a lifetime hunting permit in any state you live in if you ever want to hunt there in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back