x-bolt stalker vs x-bolt hunter opinions

bmt99

I am about to purchase an x-bolt. Caliber 6.5 to 7mm. I can't decide on barrel length and stock. I primarily have 22" barrel length rifles. There is a long range hunter with included muzzle brake for $680 that is a 26" barrel. A regular synthetic for $600 22" and a hunter version (walnut) 22" for $785. Factory ammo.

My questions are:

- anyone have a 26" and 22" barrel with a preference for either?
- does 26" become a hindrance due to length on some forest but mostly prairie type hunts?
- general opinions on these 3 options?

This gun will be used for deer, antelope and for fun shooting with my kids.

Thanks
B

I have 2 X bolts stainless stalkers with 24” barrels and can’t say enough good things about them. I don’t see the reason to have a muzzle brake on the caliber range you mention. It may tame the recoil for the kids, but it will not help their hearing which is harder to fix. Something with a bullet around .257 should not be too much for any kid to handle without a muzzle brake and be great for deer and antelope.

I would go with the 22” barrels as they are easier to wield, especially with kids.

I've looked at the long range models and the barrel just seems too long for my liking. Of course I mainly hunt in the woods of Pennsylvania, your mileage may vary in SD. Xbolts are awesome.

I have 24"-26" barrels on several rifles. I also have 18"-20" barrels on several rifles. As long as they balance right, I don't notice much difference, carry wise. Trajectory, burn efficiency, that's another thread.

I have the stalker long range in .300wm. Has the 26" barrel. Not a problem for me. Longer barrels seem to be more often paired with magnum calibers to maximize velocity. Even hunting out of box blinds here in NC the extra length hasn't been a hindrance for me.

I have two Browning X-Bolts in 30-06 and 7mm-08.... both 22” barrels. Shoot dead nuts.

Shorter barrels are lighter, stiffer, and easier to wield. I'd only go with the 24-26" with a 7mm mag.

I have a Browning AB3...it's a cheap rifle. But it shoots great. I shoot 1/2 MOA with factory ammo, and the Japanese barrel is immune to heat and major POI shifts with different ammo. Now I want an X Bolt!

I purchased an x-bolt today. Found a great deal on it and something about the look of the walnut stock on this gun made me a sucker. Have not bought wood stock in some time but the deal and look made the decision for me.

Just wanted to follow up to say thanks for all the comments.

Saw the X-bolt is now offering the new 6.5 PRC.
Well over 200fps faster than the Creed more with about the same recoil.
Don't think it's in the lesser expensive models though.

Bought the X-bolt long range in the 26" barrel in 6.5 still trying to get everything dialed in. But so far no problems other than carrying it in a Toyota.
Enjoying shooting it and it isn't tearing up my shoulder and I'm not flinchie like I have been with the .270 Weatherby.
If nothing else I can reach out and tap them on the head with the barrel. LOL

Back