X bolt pro issues

What about the bedding? Can you run a dollar bill under the barrel from the fore end to the recoil lug without resistance?

I bought an X-Bolt in .300 Win Mag a year ago. I tried LOTS of different ammo brands, bullet weights, used a lead sled, used sand bags, had another guy shoot it. The best it would do was about 2 - 2.5" at 100 yards. I sent it in to Browning. It now shoots 3/4" at 100 yards with Federal Premium 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. It really doesn't seem to like any other ammo. prior to sending the rifle to Browning, it wouldn't shoot the Noslers either. Browning would not tell me what they did to the rifle.

Never owned a browning rifle...and after reading this thread don't think that I ever will. Not just because of marginal quality control, but because being non-communicative on a warranty issue, when their rifles cost that much is BS.

I hate to mention this but this prove's that you don't always get what you pay for!

Never owned a browning rifle...and after reading this thread don't think that I ever will. Not just because of marginal quality control, but because being non-communicative on a warranty issue, when their rifles cost that much is BS.
I bought a Citori quite a few years ago now. Paid 2K for it and the quality was whale dung. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. I believe it was made at Miroku. I won't buy another Browning product.

Hey guys, just wanted to post this in case anyone else has had similar problems.

I recently bought a Browning X Bolt Pro in 300 win mag. I put Talley rings on it and an VX6HD scope. I was hoping this would be a real tack driving combo but I have had several issues with the gun.

First I had to order a new trigger group as one of the tabs that holds the group in broke while i was adjusting the trigger. Then I had to send the rifle back because when i went to install the scope rings, the threads on forward left screw hole stripped under a 15 inch/lb torque wrench. This had me worried that there was a heat treating issue on the steel. After several frustration conversations with browning, who are very tight lipped about what the actually do to your gun, i finally found out that they just ran a tap back through the threads and sent it back to me. They also told me to never use torque wrenches when installing on their guns, but instead to just use loctite and hand tighten until you feel resistance. Frankly I think heat treated stainless steel should be able to withstand 15 inch lbs of torque.

So i finally got the gun back and installed the scope and thus far i have not been able to get a group under 3 inches at 200 yards from a lead sled. I've tried 6 different types of quality factory ammo and it is just shooting all over the place. I contacted Browning again to try to get some ammo suggestions but they will not give any advice or recommendations on ammunition. They said I could send the gun in again and they would fire it to determine if there is an issue. However being that there is no MOA guarantee from Browning I'm not convinced that they are going to go to great lengths to get the gun firing moa or better.

So now I'm not really sure what to do. I realize all guns are different and require finding the right ammo to match, but I really expected more from a 2,000$ gun and i can't keep dropping 50$ on every box of ammo only to shoot a dismal 3 round group. I will probably send it back again and see what they have to say but I'm pretty disappointed in the rifle so far. I've been shooting a used A bolt in 7mm that has been outstanding, so i had high hopes for this gun but I am quickly losing confidence in it.

Has anyone had issues like this with the x bolt line before?

Thanks!
I saw your post here from a few years ago because I was searching for anyone that has had any similar issues with a Browning. I have an MK3 BAR in 300 win mag that I bought off a recommendation from family (more than 1 family member has browning products). SO, the recommendations were extremely high and the fact that I had shot quite a few of their products leading upto this purchase.

Unfortunately, the gun failed to eject and cycle properly on my first hunt with it. I sent it into Browning in Missouri to be checked. They were 5 star customer service and I got the rifle back in about t10 days turn-around. I was super impressed and excited about that level of customer service. That fall I upgraded to "premium" ammo thinking it might have been a quality issue and trying different ammos might be the issue for cycling since Browning did this at their shop and found no issues. I immediately had feeding and ejection problems. The problems continued three more times and I literally shot a box of $50 ammo and put the rifle away disgusted. I then decided that I would take all my receipts to Bass Pro Shops where I purchased it and explain the situation. Waste of time, every service clerk in there said the "customer is always right" and that they wouldn't keep a gun that wouldn't fire. Until I met the manager; they didn't care one bit and said all they could do is mail it back to the manufacturer. So I did with disgust.

So, approx 4 months later and a few calls to Browning in Missouri where they had my rifle, it finally came back to bass pro shops for me to pickup. All the repairs said were "minor repairs" and lubrication maintenance. When I call browning I told them my concern for the rifle and that I might have bought a "lemon". The assured me that it would be fine and that their top BAR mechanic was "on the case". Right lol!..... The guys at Bass pro were ohhing and ahhing at the rifles beauty, but in honesty the thing might as well be a boat paddle, I wouldn't take this rifle hunting or trust it's reliability for anything.

What browning should have done is say, " hey lets get you into something that we have that you feel comfortable with; exchange the rifle". For $1500 I would think they would know that a customer won't keep a gun in their safe that isn't reliable and/or won't fire properly. I am another unfortunate sucker customer again. Heck, I even hear that Marlin will exchange properly in this fashion if you buy from them, no promises I am assured lol!. Lesson learned, quality control and customer service a down. I am at a loss. i have written browning and can't get an answer and their Missouri repair shop doesn't deal in exchanges like this they said. I'm super disappointed but really thinking about it now, I feel they lost a customer and word to mouth advertising. Such a disapointed end result with no regard to make this right by the seller and/or manufacturer. Thanks for listening.

I saw your post here from a few years ago because I was searching for anyone that has had any similar issues with a Browning. I have an MK3 BAR in 300 win mag that I bought off a recommendation from family (more than 1 family member has browning products). SO, the recommendations were extremely high and the fact that I had shot quite a few of their products leading upto this purchase.

Unfortunately, the gun failed to eject and cycle properly on my first hunt with it. I sent it into Browning in Missouri to be checked. They were 5 star customer service and I got the rifle back in about t10 days turn-around. I was super impressed and excited about that level of customer service. That fall I upgraded to "premium" ammo thinking it might have been a quality issue and trying different ammos might be the issue for cycling since Browning did this at their shop and found no issues. I immediately had feeding and ejection problems. The problems continued three more times and I literally shot a box of $50 ammo and put the rifle away disgusted. I then decided that I would take all my receipts to Bass Pro Shops where I purchased it and explain the situation. Waste of time, every service clerk in there said the "customer is always right" and that they wouldn't keep a gun that wouldn't fire. Until I met the manager; they didn't care one bit and said all they could do is mail it back to the manufacturer. So I did with disgust.

So, approx 4 months later and a few calls to Browning in Missouri where they had my rifle, it finally came back to bass pro shops for me to pickup. All the repairs said were "minor repairs" and lubrication maintenance. When I call browning I told them my concern for the rifle and that I might have bought a "lemon". The assured me that it would be fine and that their top BAR mechanic was "on the case". Right lol!..... The guys at Bass pro were ohhing and ahhing at the rifles beauty, but in honesty the thing might as well be a boat paddle, I wouldn't take this rifle hunting or trust it's reliability for anything.

What browning should have done is say, " hey lets get you into something that we have that you feel comfortable with; exchange the rifle". For $1500 I would think they would know that a customer won't keep a gun in their safe that isn't reliable and/or won't fire properly. I am another unfortunate sucker customer again. Heck, I even hear that Marlin will exchange properly in this fashion if you buy from them, no promises I am assured lol!. Lesson learned, quality control and customer service a down. I am at a loss. i have written browning and can't get an answer and their Missouri repair shop doesn't deal in exchanges like this they said. I'm super disappointed but really thinking about it now, I feel they lost a customer and word to mouth advertising. Such a disapointed end result with no regard to make this right by the seller and/or manufacturer. Thanks for listening.
I own two x-bolts both fine rifles so I can't speak to quality issues with Browning, but I have heard similar stories to yours about bass pro shops telling a customer to kick rocks when they have a quality issue with a firearm, scope etc. I don't buy firearms from any big retailers, I use my local shop. One of the gun guys at my shop told me last fall a customer came in with a savage rifle that was spraying bullets everywhere and he couldn't get it to group. He shined a light down the barrel and it didn't have any rifling in it, he bought it at bass pro shops and he went back there to seek help. They told him it was his responsibility they wouldn't do anything in terms of refund or swap. My local shop was nice enough to send the rifle back to savage for him (even though he didn't buy it there) and savage replaced the gun. I buy ammo and clothing from bass pro, but I'll never buy guns, scopes, binoculars, from them ever.

I had won an Xbolt at a RMEF banquet, sold it NIB. It was a .300 Win Mag. I sold to someone I know, he isn’t happy with it. Not consistent group shooter.

Back when I shot a .300 and handloaded for it I shot groups well under an inch from a lead sled. It might not be the best option, but it'll definitely get it done.

Not sure what distance the moa guarantee is. But I'm pretty sure it's 100 yards. I'm trying to remember the review from a competent source I read where a guaranteed moa rifle wouldn't shoot moa with any of the five factory rounds they tried.

When they say guaranteed they mean warranty. Anyone who says that anything in life is guaranteed including nthe sun coming up in the morning is mistaken.

Tomorrow isn't guaranteed; that's for sure.

I picked up an xbolt lr in .308 a couple of years ago. The gun kept jamming up after each round. It would not eject shells and I had to get them out with a ramrod and hammer. Didn’t matter what ammo I used. Sent it back to factory, they worked on it and said it was perfect, took it to range and same problem happened. Ultimately, the store refunded my rifle. That experience soured me and I will never again buy a browning.

I recognize this is an older thread, but wanted to chime in here as I'm having similar experiences and wondering what "irf1983"'s experience was with Browning. I have a X-bolt hells canyon speed in 300 win mag with a Vortex 4-16x44 Viper scope. I've shot many high-end ammunition at various grain levels (Federal Premium, Hornady Superformance, Nosler Trophy Grade accubonds) off a lead sled and off a bi-pod and have not got consistency under 4" groupings at 200 yards. I've always been a good shot; I used to shoot a ruger mark 2 7mm and had always achieved MOA accuracy. The most accurate ammunition I've shot out of the x-bolt is Remington Core-Lokt's 180 grain, which is 2-3" groupings at 200 yards but they are not high-tolerance bullets and I don't get the same consistency at 300 yards or further. Any recommendations or can anyone share their experiences with sending a gun back to Browning?

Most of the time when I read of people having "accuracy issues" with a gun, it seems to be in the .300 WM. Let someone else shoot it and see what happens first. I'm going to say since it's inconsistent, it's you or the scope.

Couple tips. 1. Don't shoot off a lead sled. You want the rifle to be able to come straight back into your shoulder and not be stopped or slowed down. This can cause the barrel to rise before the bullet has exited the muzzle. Shoot off bags. Take off any sling studs so it slides forward and backward without resistance. Second, like tzone said, have someone else shoot it. You might be flinching. As soon as you get past a .270, it seems like most people shoot inconsistently. Often times you might do it subconsciously without knowing. Have someone else shoot it who has experience shooting higher caliber rifles consistently. Or try someone elses higher caliber rifle and see if you have the same issue. I have a browning A-bolt (.270) that has a thing where it likes to put 3 to 5 bullets in the same hole at 100 yards.

New to group, researching Browning X-bolt issues is how I found the site. I purchased my first Browning and am very disappointed in it. X-bolt Hell's Canyon LR 300 WM. I can get a 1.25" MOA with 150gr bullets; 165gr and 180gr bullets it is about 2" MOA. I have tried several powders, anneal my brass, multiple bullets and multiple bullet weights. All hunting rounds bullets, I didn't buy it to shoot paper. Action screws were not torqued right from factory I checked this before I shot. Year before I bought a Savage High Country 300 WSM and it shoots sub MOA groups all the time.

Question is, does anyone here have some things they did to get these X-bolts to shoot better? Change the muzzle brake? Shoot it without muzzle brake? Never had a muzzle brake until I purchased the 2 guns above.

Note: With the brake on, it's recoil is pretty mild - feels about like a 6.5 CM. I have chased rabbits with changing scopes, mounts, etc. With over 20 rifles, I once had a scope issue, but it was obvious and not subtle. Many times it comes down to it just ain't a good shooting barrel. Case in point, I had friend that got one of them high dollar barrels in 308 ($5000). He let me shoot it, I shot and looked down scope and see hole on paper, I shot a second time and looked down scope - only seen one hole. I thought what the heck. So I shot a 3rd time and look down scope - I said John I think there is something wrong with this gun. We walked down range and measured a 1/8" group.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back