Wyominng Bill-HB 0149

So you tell me, do I oppose a bill (hb149), that raises nearly a half million for the budget, which is likely not going to be met with much resistance? Or, do I support the bill, to get the funding shackles off me so I can then roll up my sleeves and go to work for joesixpack?

To me, it seems like it is either one or the other. It is hard to fix one problem without hurting the other. The 60/40 split helps the funding issue but hurts joesixpack. To joesixpack, going to a 20/80 split (or at least leaving it at 40/60) would help him but would hurt the funding issue.

Let's say this passes and the funding issue is greatly improved. How can joesixpack then be helped out without negatively hurting funding? Free lunches are hard to come by.

Ahh, more of the same activity from Buzz. One minute you are telling us how we all need to stick together, and the next you are insulting other hunters for no reason. Can't be both ways Buzz. If you want people to come together you need to use more honey and less vinegar in your recipe. Your recipe now simply divides hunters. doesn't' accomplish anything. At some point you will be here asking for people to help but nobody will be willing to help because of how you treat them and talk down to them..

Roadhunter,

What divides hunters is nobody will give up anything to help the sport, wildlife, or the next guy, and a double scoop of apathy on top of it all.\

No, I don't think the entire hunting community needs to stick together...just the right ones. I've seen a good many under the umbrella that should be out in the rain...roadhunters for one.

Last edited:
Buzz, I understand what you are saying. The point I was trying to make is that you are taking shots at Topgun for having been on the same side as WYOGA while, at the same time, you are also on the same side as them, though on a different bill. There is nothing wrong with being on the same side as them on an issue. It doesn't mean you are supporting them financially or otherwise.. :D

I don't think you could have said it any clearer than that. Thanks.

vdo84,

In the big picture though, WY could easily raise $500,000 without changing this split. A very modest price increase on all hunting and fishing licenses would achieve the same result. That's why I am saying that folks need to look a little deeper at the motives here.

It also illustrates the problems that come when an agency uses point system revenue to balance the checkbook.

To me, it seems like it is either one or the other. It is hard to fix one problem without hurting the other. The 60/40 split helps the funding issue but hurts joesixpack. To joesixpack, going to a 20/80 split (or at least leaving it at 40/60) would help him but would hurt the funding issue.

Let's say this passes and the funding issue is greatly improved. How can joesixpack then be helped out without negatively hurting funding? Free lunches are hard to come by.

vdo84,

It really is an either/or...and very few are willing to take a side. Its waffleville, from everyone.

Then on top of everything else, the WYGF is sitting on a $50,000,000 surplus (yes, $50,000,000)...that they cant spend.

Its a convoluted mess...

vdo84,

In the big picture though, WY could easily raise $500,000 without changing this split. A very modest price increase on all hunting and fishing licenses would achieve the same result. That's why I am saying that folks need to look a little deeper at the motives here.

It also illustrates the problems that come when an agency uses point system revenue to balance the checkbook.

Nope, we cant...have tried for the last 2 sessions and the Legislature WILL NOT pass a license fee increase bill, even those directed 100% at Resident Fee increases. We're begging the Legislature to charge us more...and they wont do it.

The Legislature is so unwilling to increase funding they denied the Resident PP bill TWICE, because it would have increased revenue.

Should we hold a bake sale to keep the 40/60? Because there is NO way the legislature is going to approve a fee increase bill.

Last edited:
Nope, we cant...have tried for the last 2 sessions and the Legislature WILL NOT pass a license fee increase bill, even those directed 100% at Resident Fee increases. We're begging the Legislature to charge us more...and they wont do it.

The Legislature is so unwilling to increase funding they denied the Resident PP bill TWICE, because it would have increased revenue.

Should we hold a bake sale to keep the 40/60? Because there is NO way the legislature is going to approve a fee increase bill.

Buzz,

I understand the legislature WON'T do it. My point is they CAN approach this issue in a different manner without this stupid shit of special drawing, extra special drawing, super extra special drawing, and so on.

Someone has their hands in the cookie jar driving this mess, because it certainly doesn't NEED to happen.

JLS,

I couldn't agree with you more if I tried...

Off to Cheyenne to ask some Legislators why we cut GF programs and fund a study of the transfer of public lands to the tune of 100K.

Or, do I support the bill, to get the funding shackles off me so I can then roll up my sleeves and go to work for joesixpack?

vdo84,

It really is an either/or...and very few are willing to take a side. Its waffleville, from everyone.

So in the first quote, it sounds like if the funding issue is taken care of, you'll be able to help out joesixpack. In the 2nd quote, it sounds like that isn't possible. Which one is it?

Then on top of everything else, the WYGF is sitting on a $50,000,000 surplus (yes, $50,000,000)...that they cant spend.

Its a convoluted mess...

As a new member to the western hunting family (1 year running :hump:) this is my first entry into trying to figure out the politics behind it. Does anyone have a link so I can educate myself to the statement made above?

As a new member to the western hunting family (1 year running :hump:) this is my first entry into trying to figure out the politics behind it. Does anyone have a link so I can educate myself to the statement made above?

gwh---Here is a good link that you can click on and there are a lot of links explaining how the G&F is funded, etc. I have heard that the Dept. has to keep the huge figure BuzzH mentioned because of the way the incoming money ebbs and flows, but I can't find any actual category showing this particular figure. Hope this helps a little bit though as to all that the Dept. is mandated to do by law, how the money comes in, and where it goes:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/WGFD-1000880.aspx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back