Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming with 0 points?

And then don't come on the first week, come later when most people are gone
I would disagree. This use to be true. The last two years three weeks into the season even during the week has been a madhouse in 0-1 point units. Maybe it was just a fluke both times.

Reactions: LCH
I would disagree. This use to be true. The last two years three weeks into the season even during the week has been a madhouse in 0-1 point units. Maybe it was just a fluke both times.
I think it also depends on when deer/elk seasons come in around the region.

I drew a tag as a second choice last year that meets your0/1 point zone target. Got there monday afternoon(saturday opener), set camp hunted/glassed for 2 or3 hours and made plan for next day. Next day shot a buck late morning. Had about 2 mile hike out, got him cooled and had few beverages and hung in camp. Left next morning after sun came up and camp was packed. I was on public and never stepped foot in zone prior, seen 1SxS run some private land west of me. There is VERY little public in this zone but thats how i drew this tag. Never did i see another orange wearing person in zone...so it can be done just know how to use onx.

Would you mind describing the reasons why this will be the case soon? I was looking into a Wyoming hunt as well. Thanks in advance.
Because so many people are building points and point creep for units is getting ridiculous. There used to be a handful of units that used to be zero points and then had leftovers that never sold out, you could go buy over the counter. Now these units are taking points.I’ve been building points for a while hoping to draw a tag where a buddy lives. It’s been 6 years and it’s still not a sure thing and it used to be a 2 point unit. Now it’s 6 plus and I’m guessing the trend will continue as western hunting continues to grow in interest

So looking at draw odds it looks as the special draw has better odds- Am I missing something here or is the only difference that you pay more for the tag for the better odds? Thanks

To the OP: With the random draw, you have a chance to draw in almost every unit, even in the regular pool. Lots of good spots to camp and walk all over the state. I'm always willing to share some ideas via PM. Antelope hunting is a ton of fun, and your options are only limited by your enthusiasm.

So looking at draw odds it looks as the special draw has better odds- Am I missing something here or is the only difference that you pay more for the tag for the better odds? Thanks
You are correct. The "Special" tags are simply more expensive to thin the number of applicants and improve the odds.

Some get angry because WY is selling out tags to the more affluent. Others say it's a way to allow for less expensive "Regular" tags because the "Special" tag buyers are supplementing the state's coffers. My opinion on who's right is that it doesn't matter what my opinion on this issue is...I'm not a resident in WY so I don't get a vote and still waiting for the first time someone calls me to ask for what I think anyway:)

You are correct. The "Special" tags are simply more expensive to thin the number of applicants and improve the odds.

Some get angry because WY is selling out tags to the more affluent. Others say it's a way to allow for less expensive "Regular" tags because the "Special" tag buyers are supplementing the state's coffers. My opinion on who's right is that it doesn't matter what my opinion on this issue is...I'm not a resident in WY so I don't get a vote and still waiting for the first time someone calls me to ask for what I think anyway:)
Key here is outfitters and lobbyists lobbied Wyoming legislators pushing for this. They wanted better odds, so this was the end result they came up with. I am a resident and glad I don't have to put up with what NRs do applying for hunts. Outfitters make a great deal of their money from NRs so it is in their interest to advocate for the special draws.

There are a percentage of licenses that are purely random if you read the draw results from last year. Those are a possibility of drawing on zero points. Extremely remote, but still possible.

Dang now that's the antelope hunt of all antelope hunts. The two times I've hunted them in WY. it didn't take three hours. Both leftover tags and both very nice bucks. Like said above three days is plenty of time. You better find much more to occupy your time in those 3 weeks.
I usually go 1 or 2 days early to scout some & locate campsites & animals.
Ive shot several 0 point bucks on public, luck always comes into play in 0 point units.

Would you mind describing the reasons why this will be the case soon? I was looking into a Wyoming hunt as well. Thanks in advance.
There are several type 2 tags available in areas 23 & 29 where access is difficult to obtain. They are 100% draw with 0 points and not coveted by anyone. For that reason they are very undesirable and rarely sell out. There are many yrophy antelope in these units. Getting landowner permission is difficult because rights to hunt ate often bought up by outfitters. Find the correct outfitter for these units and the possibilities for great lope hunting are endless.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back