Wyoming "walk-in areas"

Jason Rodenhouse

Trying to plan our first trip west. Can someone explain to me what a walk in area is? And how that may differ from other types of public land?

They are usually private lands enrolled in the program to provide hunting for certain species, certain times of the year. You just walk in and hunt, designated parking areas and roads that are open.
No need to contact the landowner.
Read the rules for each as they vary.
Info will be out in July on walk ins and HMAs for this fall. HMA's may require a permission slip that has to be applied for.
BLM and National forest are public lands that can be accessed for pretty much anything.
State trust lands are owned by the state and can have restrictions on access. You can not camp or build a fire on state lands, in Wyoming. State lands are usually open to hunting and fishing unless they have been closed for misuse.
NF and BLM are open to camping . Some campgrounds but dispersed camping is allowed, just find a good spot near a road.

They are awesome and I highly suggest you use them. When I hunted two seasons ago I filled two of my doe whitetail and one of my doe antelope in a walk in area. The whitetail are only on private in this unit so it was nice having somewhere to hunt where I didn’t need to gain permission.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back