Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming vs MT General Units Archery Opportunities

ndhunterman

Planning my 2017 season theoretically beings its -20 here today and have decided I'm going to leave the rifle at home next fall and bowhunt elk. I've rifle hunted them 4 times, and bowhunted the breaks once. All my elk hunting has been in MT.

In keeping with a similar theme as the " average shot range for elk" thread, I'm looking to gauge which state will give me the most number of opportunities during a 7 day hunt. I'm looking for elk and arrows in the air, don't care about "trophy potential" at this stage.

What has been your experience in these states for opportunities ?

I get after it, burn the boot rubber, dark to dark. I'm also not asking for your honey holes, mostly looking to see if I would see more elk during the archery season than I have rifle hunting.

Spent some time in the Gravellies, Little Belts, and Breaks, and of the 3, I saw more elk in the Breaks; which was a bow season but is obviously more open country as well.

Have a good one.

I saw 60-70 elk during 4 days of bowhunting a Wyoming general unit this past year. The plan was to hunt 7 days, but a storm chased us out of the mountains. I had 2 opportunities in those 4 days including one very good chance at a 6 point bull that I blew. After the storm we headed back into the mountains in a different general unit with rifles and the 3 of us shot 3 cows opening morning. It was a ton of fun. I have yet to hunt Montana for elk, though it's on my list.

The MT general archery tag is a great tag IMO but I don't think you can go wrong with either. WY may have the advantage when it comes to rifle opportunities though. Stick to one unit and learn it. Hunt it every year rather than bounce around trying different areas. If you can find the elk, learn the terrain and their behavior, the opportunities will come. Good luck

I'm looking to gauge which state will give me the most number of opportunities during a 7 day hunt. I'm looking for elk and arrows in the air, don't care about "trophy potential" at this stage.

What has been your experience in these states for opportunities ?

I get after it, burn the boot rubber, dark to dark. I'm also not asking for your honey holes, mostly looking to see if I would see more elk during the archery season than I have rifle hunting.

I'm not trying to sway you either way, but in my honest opinion you have a way better shot of knocking one down with a rifle than with a bow. Archery hunting is a blast and being in the mountains that time of year is a great experience, but I'm way more successful with a rifle. Maybe I just suck (highly probable), but I have eaten quality archery tags before. When I draw good rifle tags I usually get it done, especially with elk. Whatever you decide, make sure you enjoy every minute of it out there:)

Judging by the places you've hunted, I'd say you're seeing the top end of the MT general units as far as quantity of elk. These are also the most popular NR units too. Can't say anything for Wyoming. If you can't get it done in these areas, switching states probably isn't going to gain you a whole lot. Like Blake said pick a unit and learn it, don't bounce. Pick the unit you like hunting the best and keep after it.

Ive got 7 points for Wyoming, but look to need 2 more before I have a chance at the best units...

MT, I've shot 2 with the rifle or 50% and blew a chance at a spike when i was archery hunting the breaks. I think the MT general tag would be better if i wait till later in the season. I've always hunted the opener, but have been really disgusted with the amount of people i run into. I realize its a general tag on public land, so thats how it goes.

You know you can archery hunt and come back and rifle hunt in both of those states?... Maybe buy the wife a purse or something and you could work in a 2nd trip?

Yeah...i am aware of season dates for both places. I'm a middle class guy with a 2 little girls under the age of 3.

Basically what the issue in the past has been is that if i buy the combo deer & elk tag, its tough to go elk hunting for a week and then turn around an head back for deer a couple weeks later. If i bowhunt elk in september I could probably put the deer tag to better use. Plus, I truly enjoy bowhunting, and as long as I'm seeing elk I consider the trip a success.

So with 7 points in WY, I assume you're trying to draw the general tag as a 2nd choice? That's getting tough to do. Can't remember if it was possible last year or not. I'd hunt the MT general tag and hunt the limited quota units in WY. Other than the western and south central general units in WY, I think a lot of the other units are pretty tough for the general tag. And in those western (mainly) and south central units, there is a ton of country that is off limits for NRs in the wilderness areas.

Yeah basically. Its not possible on the regular draw, but if i apply special draw there is a chance.

I have no problem hunting the MT general tags; honestly we need to count our blessings for having a great state like MT with that opportunity.

I guess a better way to start this thread would have been, " What are my odds of killing an elk in MT on general archery hunt if I put in 7-8 days?"

It always drives me crazy how i can see elk for days before the season opens and as soon as the rifles pop...ghosts. haha

So, i thought if I tried a bowhunt in the same areas, the same elk should be around. Plus what i say in the breaks with the elk being more relaxed during archery season; dont i have to assume its that way in the other ranges as well? I would be plenty happy just to notch my tag, cows and spikes included.

I guess a better way to start this thread would have been, " What are my odds of killing an elk in MT on general archery hunt if I put in 7-8 days?"

About 10%. Maybe less. That is the average success rate no matter where or how you shake it.

FYI last year was the first time that nobody got an elk tag as a second choice in the Special Draw. It has been bantered about so much on the net that last year it didn't happen and may not in the future either.

FYI last year was the first time that nobody got an elk tag as a second choice in the Special Draw. It has been bantered about so much on the net that last year it didn't happen and may not in the future either.

Well that's a bummer..this elk hunting thing seems to be popular!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back