Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Unit 76 Pronghorn

bgreen89

Hey everyone,

Can anyone give me some details about this unit. Experiences hunting, possible access areas, and anything else you think I need to know.

Thanks!

Thanks. What was your experience like? Would you go back. Was it mostly walk in or were you able to drive and glass then decide if you wanted to hoof it over to another area.

Thanks. What was your experience like? Would you go back. Was it mostly walk in or were you able to drive and glass then decide if you wanted to hoof it over to another area.

I wasn’t hunting antelope, so honestly I wasn’t paying a ton of attention to them. We saw them close to roads and away from roads. There didn’t really seem to be any more or less than most of Wyoming. I think, in Wyoming, without access to private land you can pretty much determine how an antelope hunt will be based on the number of points it takes to draw. If you have the points for 76 I’m sure you’d have fun there, as you would in any unit that takes the same number of points.

If your looking for trophy antelope I would keep looking. Not saying you can't find one, but there are a lot better units out there. A lot of that unit is better suited for deer then antelope, IMO I wouldn't spend the points.

im not looking for a monster but I am looking to put in a lot of work for a 65-70 inch lope. I’m not someone who will refuse to get out of the truck.

How many points do you have? Are you looking at doing the type 1 or type 2? If you have the points for the type 1, you could probably also draw 83, which has more public land and more area to hunt. I know 76 has a lot of walk in areas but that's in the northern part and I've only been in the south part of the unit.

just my opinion but I think a 70" antelope can be found by opening your eyes in Wyoming. they are everywhere I've been

If you’re willing to work, you have a good shot to pull a 65-70 incher out of 2nd choice units in WY, let alone a unit that takes points to draw. The WY Game and Fish Hunt Planner, OnX, old Hunttalk threads, and the county websites have 100% of the info you’ll need and can answer all your questions. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Area 76 is not bad and plenty of BLM land, and plenty of goats, but you will not find as many antelope as you would hunting the central to southern half of Wyoming. You will likely have a good hunt and trophy options though. Look for watering holes and tracks leading from it using Google Earth and that should give you a shot at where they are going. Be prepared to use boots on the ground rather than round rubber tires as they tend to stay away from the roads during hunting season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back