Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Unit 7 ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old man bob

I want to put in and burn my points on Unit 7 next year.. Lets see what we took from there this year and tell me your outfitters,and if they were worth it . I am gonna be 65 by time of hunt, wanna burn 11 points. Lets see them, Thanks ............BOB!

I want to put in and burn my points on Unit 7 next year.. Lets see what we took from there this year and tell me your outfitters,and if they were worth it . I am gonna be 65 by time of hunt, wanna burn 11 points. Lets see them, Thanks ............BOB!
Archery or rifle?

For 11k I would have bigger expectations.
Curious how much bigger you would expect ? That is a great bull and will score well. They are free range elk so it's a hunt not a big bull shoot.

Several great outfitters in 7 and some ranches that outfit as well for big bulls. Wagonhound may be best known but other outfits can get you on a bull. Certainly no guarantees.

Curious how much bigger you would expect ? That is a great bull and will score well. They are free range elk so it's a hunt not a big bull shoot.

Several great outfitters in 7 and some ranches that outfit as well for big bulls. Wagonhound may be best known but other outfits can get you on a bull. Certainly no guarantees.
I agree, I would never be able to afford to go to Wagonhound on my own but with my experience there, it was amazing place, the lodge, the staff and the guides were awesome and happen to see a lot of big elk. I would recommend them to anybody who is willing to pay the price. And I don't know how much bigger you can ask for? Almost scored 360, I would be tickled pink with that.

For 11k I would have bigger expectations.

I get what you are saying but gheez what should a person expect (WAY out of my price range as I've only done DIY because that's my budget)? :) That bull is a mature\clean 7x7! I've got to think that even on the Wagonhound that elk would have been 1 of the top handful of bulls taken all year. I would venture to say that most outfitter bulls from 7 are probably 270 - 320 - with a select few going over... For example another large outfitter on private for unit 7 lists their expectation for elk hunting as: "A 300+ inch bull is very common on the ranch with several bulls approaching or exceeding 350 inches B&C."

I wish I had 11 points (I burnt mine 2 years ago). Was looking at 7 hard but since I wanted to do DIY and a little difference experience I went a different direction. I will say that when I talked to the biologst about herd health and such, they said that elk #'s JUST on the Wagonhound were above total elk objective for the entire unit! If I had the money and pts and was going to hunt 7 - that's where I would go...

Thats BS. Wagon hound can suck my l;eft nut. !!K plus tips. Youi can buy better land owner tags in N.Mex. I am from AZ. I guess I am spoiled. We pass up 350 bulls in good units . I have 11 points and Damned if I will spend that with these jokers. Any one who wants fair cash with my 11 points . , call me at 602-422-0353. Thanks . BOB!

Thats BS. Wagon hound can suck my l;eft nut. !!K plus tips. Youi can buy better land owner tags in N.Mex. I am from AZ. I guess I am spoiled. We pass up 350 bulls in good units . I have 11 points and Damned if I will spend that with these jokers. Any one who wants fair cash with my 11 points . , call me at 602-422-0353. Thanks . BOB!
Sorry dude but I know a guide for them , great guy. Wander on off if you only have BS to spout.
Good luck with your 11 PP, no help from me.

I agree, I would never be able to afford to go to Wagonhound on my own but with my experience there, it was amazing place, the lodge, the staff and the guides were awesome and happen to see a lot of big elk. I would recommend them to anybody who is willing to pay the price. And I don't know how much bigger you can ask for? Almost scored 360, I would be tickled pink with that.

11k + travel, tips, vacation time, and not even leaving the lodge with a legit booner? That would be beyond disappointing to me but it's obvious I'm in the minority. What is so special about that operation that someone feels good about spending $2500 a day? Really good steaks and a solid breakfast? Staff was friendly? That's nice.

@wytex I guess I would hardly call a 5 day show up and shoot the pre-scouted bulls on private a hunt. To me, it actually is a shoot as the client is literally only squeezing the trigger during the entire experience. Which is fine for a lot of folks. All I said was that I wasn't impressed with the bull his buddy shot for the money paid. I would have much bigger expectations but my thoughts on it mean nothing.

For those that go the guided route, and have the financial means, why not. Bugling bulls all day and no other hunters. Looking over many 300+ " bulls without pressure.
Not something I would ever consider, can't afford the hunt but knowing folks associated with them, nothing to bash.
They do not guarantee an "booner" just a great hunt.

How do you know it's a show up and shoot operation?

Why not just be happy for his take, it's a great bull.

For those that go the guided route, and have the financial means, why not. Bugling bulls all day and no other hunters. Looking over many 300+ " bulls without pressure.
Not something I would ever consider, can't afford the hunt but knowing folks associated with them, nothing to bash.
They do not guarantee an "booner" just a great hunt.

How do you know it's a show up and shoot operation?

Why not just be happy for his take, it's a great bull.

Not bashing anyone. Not the client who chooses to go guided nor any guides. Just not impressed with the ROI. If he his "tickled pink" then good for him.

If it's not a show up and shoot operation, explain how it works there? I'm actually curious how much leg work is done by the client before arriving.

Well this was a good read :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob, if youre looking for giants youll have to go hunt grizz country with the points you have. More 380" + bulls come out of there than anywhere. Steep, demanding country and add in the bears it's not for the faint of heart. The bighorns kick out a couple 380s every year too. That's about your options. You'll never draw the desert units and honestly a bull over 350+ in the desert units are extremely hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back