Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming unit 63-1 Elk draw success

jeffpg

Well, I finally got my Wyoming elk tag so now it's time to plan my hunt. I want to go unguided, but I have much to learn about the area, as I know very little about it.

I'm 55 years old and in pretty good shape and I have plenty of gear, but I don't have a big tent.

If you have info to share on the unit I'm all ears and open to any and all suggestions. If you also have the tag and wish to team up I'll certainly consider that as well. I will likely have plenty of free time to devote to the hunt.

thanks!
Jeff

I live in Wyoming and I have hunted an area adjacent to 63 for 15 years. Nice bulls come out of 63 but it is a tough area to hunt. Rugged terrain and mostly foot or horseback access. A large portion of the area is wilderness and about 1/3 of the area is private. There is a hunter management area in this unit you can check out on the game and fish Web site. A good number of grizzlies in the unit. The area is gorgeous country, lots of elk. Goodluck to you.

Right on info. I have spent lots of foot miles in 64 and it is rough country and hunting early will get a good chance at seeing a griz for sure. I really don't know much about 63, though.

If I was ever going to use an outfitter, I think that unit would be a prime time to do it.

There are definitely bears in the unit and you have to have a "bear proof" camp, which they do enforce. Coolers have to be in your truck at all times when you are not there, even empty ones, or have the lockable bear-proof type. Be prepared for all types of weather with your hunting rig due to the fact that the roads into the area can top out at around 8500'. You should be able to get into elk within a couple miles of the roads. Suggest taking a partner along, even a non-hunter to aid in the retrieval and butchering of your elk if you are so lucky, just due to the fact of the grizzlies in the area. Good luck and have fun:)

I spent my 10 max points and hit the tag in the regular draw.

I am entertaining the idea of going outfitted, so if anyone has opinions to share on outfitters I'm listening.

I would say an outfitter for that area is probably a good idea. Will give you access to the wilderness area. I would check out the Antlers ranch, I know they do guided hunts. Beautiful ranch. I believe they have a website.

What is your plan for weapon? I hunted 63 last year on a cow tag and saw numerous bulls, at least two were trophies anyway you hunt, At least 8 more I would shoot in a heart beat. Certainly worth the 10 points.

We hunted DIY and went for a week during archery season and a week during December. Saw great bulls both weeks. My hunting partner knows someone who guides out there, but frankly, with what we saw, I would consider DIY. Feel free to message me.

I will add that we saw some tracks but did not cross a single bear and we were backpacking. We saw elk, deer and moose. Never saw a bear. We are experienced backcountry campers and keep a clean camp, but the way people talk you think there was a bear around every corner. We did not have a single problem. Lots of elk for sure.

Thanks Epfd217, that's very encouraging news for me. I would really prefer to do this trip as a DIY hunt for a lot of reasons. I'm sending you a PM sir.

My preference would be to go in ahead of time and be set up for the archery opener. That should be an exciting hunt if a fellow could access a decent area like you guys seem to have found. I should have plenty of time available to devote to the hunt. If unsuccessful during the archery season, I would return for the rifle hunt.

Yeah, I'm getting lots of warnings about the grizzlies in that area. I'll certainly be prepared for them.

thanks again,
Jeff

So, is the 63-1 tag valid in early archery season? The only thing I see in the regs is Oct 1-21, and then again in November/December for un-used tags for cows only.

Last edited:
So, is the 63-1 tag valid in early archery season? The only thing I see in the regs is Oct 1-21, and then again in November/December for un-used tags for cows only.

If you buy the $35 archery permit, you can hunt 63 the entire month of September, as listed in the special archery section following all the regular season dates.

Thanks for all of the great information you guys have shared with me. After some thought, I have decided to try this hunt without a outfitter, although I would like to have horses.

Keep it coming fellows, my plan is slowly forming!

As more great information trickles in I feel that I'm forming a solid game plan based on what I'm learning from the friendly fellow hunters that share their experiences and knowledge of my hunt area with me.

Thanks Guys!
Jeff

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back