Yeti GOBOX Collection

Wyoming Unit 19?

Dougfirtree

Hi all,

I'm looking at units for a hunt in 2017 (rifle, cow) and unit 19, in Wyoming has caught my attention for the following reasons:

It looks to have good elk populations and a pretty good success rate, it is not super high in elevation, nor is it the roughest country in the world, though it still seems like pretty, western country where one could have a bit of adventure. It seems to be mostly open country and I'm really in the mood for some spot and stalk hunting (I get my share of creeping through the thick woods at a snail's pace here at home, in the Adirondacks. I'd like to give my binos a workout!).

My initial look makes me think that private land could be an issue in this unit, though the Muddy Mt. HMA seems to open up a lot of the private land there (if I'm understanding that system correctly). And, there is a fair bit of BLM and state land.

I'd be really curious to hear any thoughts from folks who have hunted the unit, or are familiar with it. Does the private land really trip you up? Is it a fun unit? If not, any other thoughts given what I'm looking for? Is the Muddy Mt. HMA system pretty user-friendly? Good spots to camp? All advice welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

Lots of people, lots of private. Elk are on the muddy mountain HMA certain times of the year I am sure, but so is half of Casper. You can literally be on the Muddy Mountain HMA in less than a 20 minute drive from downtown Casper. People run up there after work, on lunch, etc.

A friend of mine hunted there last year. He and his party were surrounded by elk on publicly accessible land on a daily basis during archery season. One of the guys passed up a solid shot on a 320+ bull. None of them filled their tags, but it was primarily because they were after trophies. I'd have been tickled pink with a 320 bull. He hunted less than 20 miles as the crow flies from Casper. The guys he was with knew the area VERY well, which I'm sure gave them a leg up on most people.

Lots of people, lots of private. Elk are on the muddy mountain HMA certain times of the year I am sure, but so is half of Casper. You can literally be on the Muddy Mountain HMA in less than a 20 minute drive from downtown Casper. People run up there after work, on lunch, etc.

Thanks! My understanding though, is that the HMA encompasses many different properties and not just the big block around Muddy Mt. itself. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Going to try this area in a few weeks. This is a point-building year, so with cow tags and back-up antelope doe tags (area 32), my buddies and I are going for some fun, and to see some new country. After reviewing the stats, interviewing the G&F folks and talking with some of the locals, I am hoping the negative comments about excessive crowding and the ALL the elk flocking to the Lone Star property don't yield a complete disappointment.

We are going to try the last week of archery, and the first week of rifle, hunting mostly during the weekdays, and using the weekends as travel days.

If anyone is willing to offer any recent info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back