Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Wyoming unit 164 - e-scouting what to look for?

CORN

Hey guys,

Noobie here looking at hunting for mulies in WY unit 164 (region M). I've watched Randy's e-scouting elk videos, trying to figure out how to apply that to hunting mule deer in WY 164. Looking at onX it's got good public access minus the western edge by the river, but it looks almost exclusively to be covered in grass/sage, with some draws and creek beds, but nothing major terrain wise. Would you guys find glassing areas that overlook some of the draws? Use vehicles to cover as much area as possible between glassing spots? Find areas with water and hang out by them? Would love to hear how you all would approach the e-scouting aspect of this unit.

Thanks for the help!

Mark some glassing spots. Take into consideration where the sun will be in relation to those spots.

Cool, I'll do that! What specifically are you thinking about re: the sun? Are they more likely to be in the shade side vs sunny side of a slope?

I talked to the region bio in 164 a few days ago. This unit has a lot of deer, but not great trophy quality. Easy meat hunt for sure .

He also recommended 39 and 40 in M. You might look at those too.

We're going into L this year for the first time.

Region K and W were hammered by winter kill this year.

Kris Shepherd from Salem Oregon

I talked to the region bio in 164 a few days ago. This unit has a lot of deer, but not great trophy quality. Easy meat hunt for sure .

He also recommended 39 and 40 in M. You might look at those too.

We're going into L this year for the first time.

Region K and W were hammered by winter kill this year.

Kris Shepherd from Salem Oregon

We were looking at 39 and 40, as well... they look good, but I believe we are going to go a different direction. This will be our first Wyoming hunt!

Looking east in the morning can be a bear, but otherwise north/south/west are all good. I don’t find looking west in the evening as troubling.

Good luck!

@270WSM140g @beagle001

I've hunted Region M, specifically Unit 39 and 40 several times, was successful 3 of the trips. Some pointers, there are several ranches that will allow you to hunt on their property but you have to get permission. Also in unit 40, near the southwestern part...where I shot 3 nice mule deer bucks, there is a large outfitter who has access through the rancher to the best access points. They are really territorial so make sure you have your ONX or GPS and know where you are at so you don't encroach on their leased acreage. They won't hesitate to call the warden on you if they catch you even cutting a corner through the property they have leased. That being said I saw a lot deer, both Whitetail and Mule Deer. I shot a couple of nice 4 x 4's, one 3 x 3, and my Dad shot a really nice 170 inch 5 x 6. Feel free to shoot me a DM if you have questions.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back