Caribou Gear

Wyoming trip

Nice buck! Congrats. There a good story here?
This is my last hunt with a resident tag in Wyoming. A couple months ago work asked me to take a position for 2-3 years in California. As terrible at that sounded it is great for my career. So I got my resident tags in the mail before I moved. I had a general deer tag and a pretty good antelope tag.

The mule deer hunt was the first order of business and my main focus. I've been moved from Wyoming for about 6 weeks and this created a bit of a grey area. I clearly was good with having a resident tag but where I was allowed to hunt was in question. If you can read between the lines with one of Wyoming's stupidest rules, you know what I'm talking about. I'll thank the warden in the area for making the call and green lighting me.

I'd shot another good buck in this area 2 years prior and I got this guy about 600 yards from that spot. Hiked in the afternoon before the opener after my warden chat. I knew this buck was up there and I located him as he skylined himself when he crossed into the next basin as the sun set. Plan for the morning was going to be glass what was around and if I didn't find what I liked, head into the next basin after him.

Woke up, put on my boots and waited for first light to start glassing. As the sun came up I was thinking "why the fack are you leaving this?"

You can see a ton of country from where I setup. Deer start popping out everywhere and this guy is 400 yards away. Made the shot and he went down I knew he was nice when I shot but I didn't know he was this buck. I hadn't put the spotter on him so I was pretty amped when I walked up on him. Packed him out. Came back the next day in a monsoon to get my camp. Then on to the antelope hunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back