Wyoming state trust land?

duckhunt

Planning another another speed goat hunt for 2018. Checking out some areas in my gezetteer I see some areas have alot of state trust land. Is this also open to public hunting? This is something I totally overlooked on my last hunt.

See jtm307's comment...he gave the reference I was looking for as well.

Last edited:
You can view restrictions here: http://lands.wyo.gov/resources/restrictions

You can view the parcels here: http://gis.statelands.wyo.gov/GIS/OSLIGIS/StateLandAccess/

State Trust land is accessible for hunting unless explicitly stated otherwise. For example, recreational shooting and hunting are not the same thing. If there is a restriction on recreational shooting, you may still hunt. A restriction on all public access obviously means you cannot hunt.

Caution: Do NOT use the parcel viewer to determine if the parcel can be legally accessed by the public. The viewer has some parcels in blue that should be red. Legal access should be verified with the county. Typically, I google "[enter county name here] GIS" and get a map of county roads. The GIS maps are accurate, but not all counties have one.

Any State Trust Land that is in a Walk-in Area or Hunter Management Area is subject to the rules prescribed by WYG&F. For example, if a walk-in area doesn't explicitly allow deer hunting, you cannot hunt deer.

Last edited:
Good info, but I would research county road access further than the GIS layers the county has...many don't show all open county roads for a variety of reasons.

Just curious, what other resources do you use to determine public roads? I've only used the county GIS map. I heard Gazetteers have public roads labeled but I haven't confirmed that yet.

Every time I read an antelope thread the biggest factor people are talking about (besides land) is access to that land....ie....what roads are PUBLIC. For people who have never been to or don't live in WYO this is a completely new concept. There are zillions of people who go to Wyo to hunt antelope each season. Why in Heavens sake doesnt the state come out with (or partner with a company...go hunt, OnX, etc) a unified, central map of the county/public roads that you are allowed to drive on! This seems like a fairly simple, straight forward concept. There were "no trespassing" signs posted on the roads that we know that we WERE allowed to drive on. They were county roads and we called to ask. For us we were always second guessing if we could/should be driving where we were (even though we knew we were ok...but did we miss a sign? take a wrong turn, etc).

^I have the same question. I don't know how to determine public access except the GIS viewer.

Just curious, what other resources do you use to determine public roads? I've only used the county GIS map. I heard Gazetteers have public roads labeled but I haven't confirmed that yet.

I use the county map viewer then call the county. I have been told the Delorme Gazeteer has more accurate info but, where exactly do these people think Delorme gets their county road info?
I have also read where the County Road dept manager didn't know which roads were county roads...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back