Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Wyoming regs are up

anybody out there have any thoughts on the general wy elk tag?lookin for fair success,fair public access,not much wilderness,{non-resident},I,m wondering if anybody can come up with some unit posibilitys?not lookin for your honey hole,just some general unit options for a non-res?would a general tag hunt be worth the 1100 mile trip,each way from Oregon,or is it a lost cause till I build up several points for another limited hunt?struck out last time there and have 1 point going into this year that puts me at about a 40% chance of drawing a general tag this year as one of my options.would you take a wy gen elk tag over a Idaho "b" tag?just wondering?

Tons of opportunities for a great general hunt in WY. Its pretty simple to do you're own homework, so I apologize for not giving you any units to look at. I'm in the same boat. I've got 2 points right now and I and deciding on whether I want to take the General elk tag this year or earn the point and grab another leftover tag this year. My buddy and I bought leftover tags this season and both took at cow.

Grab the new regs and last years reg, and map out the zones you're eligible for, then highlight the ones that meet your criteria and start google map scouting. All the herd and harvest data is online.

My app will be in one way or another.

Recently started this game.
1 Deer 3 Antelope.
Most likely points only this yearbut.......
Next year is looking promising I will actually apply

Looks like I'm in for doe antelope tags now thanks to my sister and soon to be brother in law...but found out I can still keep my points thanks to HTers :D

Am a non-resident, can someone explain the WY bison deal? You can apply for "any bison" or Cow/calf bison" and then either Area 1 or 2 as your choice, correct?

The cow/calf tag is about half the cost as the "any bison" tag and has much better draw odds so is it worth it in $$$ and lower odds to go for the any (i.e. bull bison) tag? If only have one bison head on the wall...would a mature cow look big next to a mule deer?

Any other considerations?

anybody out there have any thoughts on the general wy elk tag?lookin for fair success,fair public access,not much wilderness,{non-resident},I,m wondering if anybody can come up with some unit posibilitys?not lookin for your honey hole,just some general unit options for a non-res?would a general tag hunt be worth the 1100 mile trip,each way from Oregon,or is it a lost cause till I build up several points for another limited hunt?struck out last time there and have 1 point going into this year that puts me at about a 40% chance of drawing a general tag this year as one of my options.would you take a wy gen elk tag over a Idaho "b" tag?just wondering?

Looks like you are in OR so ID is closer, correct? I have always had great luck on WY hunts though so would be worth it for me to drive further to get to the hunt assuming am not on a tight vacation schedule.

Am a non-resident, can someone explain the WY bison deal? You can apply for "any bison" or Cow/calf bison" and then either Area 1 or 2 as your choice, correct?

The cow/calf tag is about half the cost as the "any bison" tag and has much better draw odds so is it worth it in $$$ and lower odds to go for the any (i.e. bull bison) tag? If only have one bison head on the wall...would a mature cow look big next to a mule deer?

Any other considerations?

I'm sitting here on a WY cow bison tag, heading back down tomorrow. It is a crap shoot in a year like this when very few bison leave Grand Teton NP. If they stay in the park as a result of high forage growth, you are pretty much standing at the Kelly Highway glassing them and hoping they move south.

I was down for three days the prior week. A small group moved in Sunday morning. We arrived Sunday afternoon. All we found were seven bison still standing; all small bulls. The rest were dead or pushed back to the Park. I guess last year was a bonanza, with the bison staying on the Elk Refuge from late November until season closed on January 15th. Harvest was amazing and all they could have hoped for. Reports from this year are much different.

I'm lucky to only live five hours away and I have friends who check it every day and give me and update as to any bison leaving the Park. A small group crossed on New Years Eve, but I could not get in touch with the people to get my film permit and my Refuge hunting pass extended. A friend shot a cow that day before they were chased back north. I think this tag is far less risk if you live nearby. If you live a day or more away, your risk increases greatly.

I now have my pass and permit extended through the end of the season, though my schedule is only open Wed-Fri. It is a very real possibility that this WY cow bison tag ends up in my drawer along with a lot of other unpunched tags.

Summary - When it's good, it's good; when it's tough, it's tough. Proceed with caution.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back