Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Region W General Tag

So I have a Wyoming Region W general tag this year, which means I can hunt GMU 82, 100, or 131. I plan to start at GMU 82 and go from there but anyone think a different GMU would be a better idea?

What would make another unit a better idea for you? What are your goals for this hunt?

Mainly just seeing bucks/having some stalks - I am not picky in the slightest. My father is coming with me, so flatter country and less elevation gain/loss would be ideal so he could accompany me (he's 70 now). 82 seems to look like the best area but it is also where I assume most will go in terms of pressure.

@westernslopehunter
Mainly just seeing bucks/having some stalks - I am not picky in the slightest. My father is coming with me, so flatter country and less elevation gain/loss would be ideal so he could accompany me (he's 70 now). 82 seems to look like the best area but it is also where I assume most will go in terms of pressure.
How did your hunt end up going? Very interested to hear what it was like.

Any chance I could get some info from you? Nothing crazy, just some basics!
Roads everywhere, deer numbers down, 3/4 of the areas are wide open desert flats with minimal deer populations. The drought has hammered the deer in the lower country. As a result the crowding in the upper elevations is significant as that is the only place you can find deer in numbers. Also the reason why the lower units are 4 point or better and have a much shorter season and 82 is 3 or better and a little longer.

There are really very few places to get away from the roads, when you do it is not as bad but since there are so few areas to hike in expect there to be several others hiking in as well, especially the areas advertised as walk-in.

Only good news is last winter was fairly mild, but the bad news added to it was that Colorado handed out a ton of later season tags and what we did not lose to winter were likely still lost some to the Colorado season as the deer migrate in CO.

Point restrictions from last year really did not help the over all quality much and already they are stepping back from that. Good luck, it can be a fun hunt but if the weather is nice then expect to hear an almost constant hummmm of ATVs and guys riding all over. IF you are lucky it will get cold and nasty and chase the fair weather hunters out of the mountains...

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back