Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Wyoming Region G

pherrley

My buddy and I hunted antelope last year in Wyoming and came across a few mule deer, so this year we decided to add a deer tag and a few more days to see what we could do. We wanted to accumulate points for deer so we put in for region G as first choice because we knew we wouldn’t draw it, and we could hunt the area we were planning to go to and get a point. With a lot of dumb luck, we drew region G with 2 points.

Now we’re scrambling, trying to figure out what to do. This is our first dedicated muley hunt. We’ve been archery backpack hunting elk for the past six years in Montana and are considering passing on that this year to put time and effort into this deer hunt. We’re both from out of state (Minnesota and Texas), so it’ll be 100% online scouting.

We’ll be DIY backpack hunting for this trip. We’re fairly comfortable with putting in some miles to get it done, it’s not super uncommon for us to put on 10 miles a day when elk hunting.

From what I’ve seen and read, the area is pretty full of trails and we can expect to run into a lot of hunters.

I’m trying to wrap my head around what hunting region G is going to be like, and possibly what equipment we might need to add to our pack?

I have 10x50 binos, that mostly live in my harness during elk hunting in the timber. I assume I should pick up a tripod. Are 10x50s (Vortex Viper) going to get the job done?

My buddy and I hunted antelope last year in Wyoming and came across a few mule deer, so this year we decided to add a deer tag and a few more days to see what we could do. We wanted to accumulate points for deer so we put in for region G as first choice because we knew we wouldn’t draw it, and we could hunt the area we were planning to go to and get a point. With a lot of dumb luck, we drew region G with 2 points.

Now we’re scrambling, trying to figure out what to do. This is our first dedicated muley hunt. We’ve been archery backpack hunting elk for the past six years in Montana and are considering passing on that this year to put time and effort into this deer hunt. We’re both from out of state (Minnesota and Texas), so it’ll be 100% online scouting.

We’ll be DIY backpack hunting for this trip. We’re fairly comfortable with putting in some miles to get it done, it’s not super uncommon for us to put on 10 miles a day when elk hunting.

From what I’ve seen and read, the area is pretty full of trails and we can expect to run into a lot of hunters.

I’m trying to wrap my head around what hunting region G is going to be like, and possibly what equipment we might need to add to our pack?

I have 10x50 binos, that mostly live in my harness during elk hunting in the timber. I assume I should pick up a tripod. Are 10x50s (Vortex Viper) going to get the job done?

A spotting scope will come in handy if you want to judge the deer (or ID them from way off). I haven't hunted G, but have hunted deer in the alpine. Last time I took 15s, and I felt under-gunned just looking at two 4x4s that were across the drainage I was glassing (big but not huge). Lots of videos online of guys hunting G. that might give you a feel for the country. Have a good hunt, that is a lucky draw.

Congrats on the draw.

Region G is not really a secret.

Pretty much can just hike any mountain in the Wyoming range and see deer with glass especially in the archery season.

The issue with Archery is getting close to them.

The issue with Rifle is getting close to them.

It is a mountain range that is a ton of fun and also can be a SOB.

With 10x's you can see deer when they are up and moving, but will struggle to see them when they are bedded at distance and may have trouble estimating how big the deer is.

Personally, I only carry a spotting scope when scouting before the hunt; because generally I spend my time under glass looking at areas that are way too far away rather than looking at the areas that are closer that I can make a play on the deer.

This year may be a bit different than the past couple of years, because you may have a few more meat hunters on the mountain since they lifted the 3 point or better regs.

However, there is a ton of deer.

Last piece of advice is to avoid areas when the sheep herders are driving through. They are supposed to be off the mountain before the rifle hunt starts, but generally start moving once the hunt starts.

I am more scared of those big ass dogs than wolves on that mountain.

There have been people that I know that have had close encounters with the sheep dogs and thankfully the dogs and the hunters haven't been harmed.

I would say just avoid the sheep and the dogs, if possible.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to start looking at spotting scopes now. I'm not overly concerned with antlers, but at the same time don't want to waste the opportunity. I'd be super happy with any mature deer. right now we're planning to go during rifle season because we don't feel all that comfortable with our unknown ability to get into archery range.

How much of an advantage is it to get 3 - 5 miles off the trail head? I assume there are a good number of people glassing from their heated truck cab.

You'll find hunters back 3-5 miles, you won't be alone by any means.
The sheep advice is good, they really screw up an area when they move through. We usually found them coming down in Sept.
Not all the better bucks are 5 miles back either.

Had that tag a few years ago, like others have said you won't be alone. Lots of hunters, some steep terrain, lots of guys with horses too. I would bring a spotter for sure.

If can hike your going to do well but as wytex mentioned not all the good ones are up! Plan to live out your pack until tags filled if you go high, prepare for snow storms. Get here couple days early to hike and scout, glass is helpful as country is fairly open. Salts arent as busy as wy range cause some H hunters hunt border, either way you will see people but not crazy, plenty of bucks. Welcome to HT, have good hunt.

Yeah, I wish I could get out there scouting, but unless I get fired and divorced, that's probably not going to happen. I already use just about all my vacation going on hunts. I don't have an expectation to get away from all the hunters, but thought I might be able to get away from day hunters if we get a few miles in. I'm guessing glassing from your truck is pretty popular with a lot of people.

What is the water situation like in this region? Can we expect to find some, of should we pack a lot of it in?

You’ll see other hunters but it’s not overcrowded by any means. You should see several bucks! Congrats on a great tag and should be a great experience!

Went 2-3 years ago. Rented horses in Star Valley. Loved the adventure. Got into lots of deer. Missed one late. Can’t wait to go back. May rent motorcycle next time I go back. We were 6-7 miles back with our base camp and had motorcycles on the weekends going deeper. We went 1st 8 days of the season. Saw deer come out of velvet. Just an awesome experience. Heard there have been grizzlies way South of where I hunted along Gray river. Slept under the stars when i was scouting - no weapon But a knife. No bear spray either. Would likely have one or the other on me now.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back