Caribou Gear

Wyoming Region C

chambero

We are trying to decide between deer tags for B or C. We are hunting antelope on private land in a unit that coincides with C for deer, but we can't hunt deer there. I have the BLM maps for the region which looks to show that there is plenty of public land. There looks to be some large chunks of BLM that is accessible from numerous roads, but I would like confirmation that my map reading is correct.

We hunted B last year and found lots of does, but no bucks. I know that we just didn't find them, but we are trying to decide if want to go back there and really learn that area or try a new area that might have more potential if we invest the necessary time over the years.

Any suggestions regarding accessibility of public land in C or relative comparisons between pressure and deer quality on public land in B and C would be appreciated.

I have limited experience/knowledge on Wyoming deer. The bit I do have tells me to steer clear of Eastern Wyoming, unless you're hunting private.

I know private is a lot better, but we don't want to spend the money for trespass for deer. We are paying for access to a pretty top notch antelope hunt and my buddies want to go ahead and chase deer after we get done there.

I guess if you're there why not right... Personally deer are my first choice and lopes are a distant second. Then again, it's all what's available right. If you're realistic in what you expect you guys will probably find some deer. I wouldn't think anything much over 22" or 150 class as a rule of thumb though.

I had been waiting about 6 years to get on this particular ranch for antelope. I have a friend who has literally hunted antelope there every year for over a decade and they kill very nice antelope - right around the B&C minimum, every year. They manage their harvest very carefully. It is a good chance for us to get a good one.

Mule deer are my primary interest though. I love hunting them whether I get one or not.

I've hunted region "C" probably 10 times. It isn't easy, but you can find some good hunting.

I imagine the same issues apply anywhere on western public ground. You've got to hoof in away from the crowd, and / or search hard for spots that others have overlooked or not bothered recently.

We paid a trespass fee on private ground last fall and killed a 25" 5x5, a 24" 4x4 and a 11 point x 19" whitetail. Best we'd done on public was 18" 4x4'x and 5x5's.

We're going to try public again this fall and see what happens.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back