wyoming non-resident,general elk units???what to pick ?

i actually am lookin to draw general next year.

so don't be stingy with the info folks. copy me on all PMs.
Make sure it stays in PM’s. I asked this info for a general unit in MT where I could kill a 350” bull. @JLS directed me to some public land behind a huge ranch as my best bet. I checked it out on a Saturday this past hunting season. There were already 20 trucks in the parking lot at the trailhead.

One little slip on the WWW and my secret spot was ruined forever. It had to be the fault of Internet forums that drew so many people to the area. I highly doubt the 1500 elk grazing on the private property within sight of a major highway had any attraction to that area for hunters.

Eager fingers ruin secret hunting spots.

Make sure it stays in PM’s. I asked this info for a general unit in MT where I could kill a 350” bull. @JLS directed me to some public land behind a huge ranch as my best bet. I checked it out on a Saturday this past hunting season. There were already 20 trucks in the parking lot at the trailhead.

One little slip on the WWW and my secret spot was ruined forever. It had to be the fault of Internet forums that drew so many people to the area. I highly doubt the 1500 elk grazing on the private property within sight of a major highway had any attraction to that area for hunters.

Eager fingers ruin secret hunting spots.

sounds like @JLS sent you on a wild goose chase. classic. plus i only want 360+ bulls.

sounds like @JLS sent you on a wild goose chase. classic. plus i only want 360+ bulls.
No. He actually directed me to a spot that probably has a much potential to produce what I was asking for as any general unit in the state.

I passed up going after some cows and a rag horn 4x4 that were only 500 yards from the parking lot.

However, he did neglect to tell me that I would probably have to walk 5 + miles and gain about 2500’ of elevation to find bulls. I think that was unkind of him…😄

No. He actually directed me to a spot that probably has a much potential to produce what I was asking for as any general unit in the state.

I passed up going after some cows and a rag horn 4x4 that were only 500 yards from the parking lot.

However, he did neglect to tell me that I would probably have to walk 5 + miles and gain about 2500’ of elevation to find bulls. I think that was unkind of him…😄

I'll give you a piggy back ride up that 2500', please send coordinates of where we can meet!

Edit: I'll give you a piggy back ride after I blast the raghorn!!! Pew pew!!!

I'll give you a piggy back ride up that 2500', please send coordinates of where we can meet!

Edit: I'll give you a piggy back ride after I blast the raghorn!!! Pew pew!!!
I will show you in person if you give my elk a piggy back ride down to the truck and carry my snax for me during the hunt.

Wy067
Thanks for the response. Im just trying to get an idea where to start. Do you have to have a 4 wheeler to be able to get in some good areas? Didn’t know if anyone just hiked in or was it mainly horses and 4 wheelers??

Wy067
Thanks for the response. Im just trying to get an idea where to start. Do you have to have a 4 wheeler to be able to get in some good areas? Didn’t know if anyone just hiked in or was it mainly horses and 4 wheelers??

Depends how and where you hunt but I've never taken an ATV elk hunting, including in WY general units.

I'd probably bring one occasionally if I were a resident but I find the benefit over a 4x4 pickup doesn't warrant me towing one from MN and in many cases would be a bigger hindrance (turning around, bouncing around on rough roads) than benefit. Over 13+ MT trips, 1 CO, and 1 WY, I can think of one trip where I wished I'd brought an ATV.

If it’s the spot I’m thinking of I’ve packed elk down that trail before. It is a miserable climb if you go in to where I usually see the grown up bulls.

This spot is easier, and 340” is doable for sure. It’s also a great spot for sheds, but don’t tell anyone.

44.953816°N, -110.562036°W

If it’s the spot I’m thinking of I’ve packed elk down that trail before. It is a miserable climb if you go in to where I usually see the grown up bulls.

This spot is easier, and 340” is doable for sure. It’s also a great spot for sheds, but don’t tell anyone.

44.953816°N, -110.562036°W
Great. Now my new secret spot is out there for everyone to flock to.

On the bright side, this should ease the pressure on my former secret spot.

Depends how and where you hunt but I've never taken an ATV elk hunting, including in WY general units.

I'd probably bring one occasionally if I were a resident but I find the benefit over a 4x4 pickup doesn't warrant me towing one from MN and in many cases would be a bigger hindrance (turning around, bouncing around on rough roads) than benefit. Over 13+ MT trips, 1 CO, and 1 WY, I can think of one trip where I wished I'd brought an ATV.

Wind Gypsy. Thanks for the reply and good information. Much appreciated. Sorry, I just saw your reply.

I too am from Minnesota. Myself and 2 cousins are sitting on 3 elk points and are thinking about planning a hunt in the next couple years. Would you ever give out a couple units we should look at? No need for GPS locations, Just looking for a unit to get started. Thank you.

I too am from Minnesota. Myself and 2 cousins are sitting on 3 elk points and are thinking about planning a hunt in the next couple years. Would you ever give out a couple units we should look at? No need for GPS locations, Just looking for a unit to get started. Thank you.
You are 2 years away from drawing a general elk tag in Wyoming if things stay about the same, which they probably won't. Lots of time to look at the general unit, which will probably change to regions by then, and decide for yourself what your goals and capabilities are. Go here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/Hunt-Planner

There is too much information on where to hunt on the internet for free already. I try not to contribute to it further. Doing your own research and making your own decisions makes success that much sweeter when it comes to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohiochuck
Back