Caribou Gear Tarp

Wyoming Mule Deer 2019

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Great buck Glenn. Congrats man.
What twist is the 6mm-250?
9 twist, which I expect is why it was available at an attractive price. I'd never build it that way, but I don't have anything to hunt under about 7,000' so it spins 95's fine.

He was at 700-something with not much for stalking cover. I'd hoped to set up prone at 200-300, but as I started down and across he fed up and out of view into a pocket on the hillside. I changed plans and headed downwind, then up to his elevation to work across the face with a decent breeze in my favor. I took my time making sure he hadn't fed out far above me while I stalked, figuring that was the only way this might not work.

Before long I got to the last rise before the pocket. He'd hung there the whole time, and my partner was able to watch the stalk play out from across the canyon. I leaned up over a boulder to draw on his chest as he was facing me directly at 75-ish yds. There was another boulder between us, only partially in my field of view. I didn't think it would be a problem, turns out I was wrong, ha. The first shot dusted the corner of the rock in between us, second was sort of a hurried "what just happened" situation, third one put him down. This is why I wanted the longer, better shot in the first place. Anyway it worked out...

As he lay.

View attachment 114816

I'd left my spotter and therefore tripod for my bud during the stalk so I had to make do with a shaky camera spot in fading light.

View attachment 114818

View attachment 114820

He met my criteria for this year, and I'd never killed one in velvet so that was kinda neat. I got him all boned out and hauled back to camp around 11. Since my pard was coming out empty the next day with horses the best part was I didn't have to carry the meat. After all the one trippers I've done it was pretty nice to just load up a day pack and cover miles. I felt kinda spoiled, but I suppose elk is around the corner to keep me honest.

We walked a lot of miles, had good weather, watched some mountain bucks = good trip

I see you are wearing the new Kuiu Loungers with matching hoodie, and straight bill cap. I didn't know it was possible to shoot large bucks like that without wearing full camo attire?
Congratulations on a great buck.

Congrats on a very nice buck. I gotta ask though, what happened to his velvet? The pose pic and the horns on your pack look like two different bucks with half the velvet gone.

Congrats on a very nice buck. I gotta ask though, what happened to his velvet? The pose pic and the horns on your pack look like two different bucks with half the velvet gone.
Moving it around butchering, twisting to separate the head, etc. and the one side got torn up to it so I just peeled it off. The other side was just as fragile, I just didn't touch it much. It'll all get peeled after boiling.

Without a doubt, your highcountry mule deer posts are my favorites of each year. This one didn’t disappoint. And not having to carry the meat out in one trip? Pretty sweet.

I agree with Randy, let’s see that mule deer wall.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back