Wyoming Mountain Lion Bowhunt: Take two

Great cat @Trial153

You often hear about the energy of places or events: The energy of the city, a concert, etc.

I've been to some of the biggest cities in the U.S.A and Europe, and there is no comparison for me between that and chasing a pack of hounds that are on a trail. Watching them do what they were bred and trained for is amazing.

I gave a friend a Hotspot for public land turkeys last spring. He and his son called in two cats to 40 yards.
Were cats in season would you
A) blast a cat even if they were grazing on green shoots?
B) hold out for a turkey pecking on a variety of carnivorous bugs?
C) throw your hands up and head for the nearest Cajun joint and gorge a bucket of shrimp?
I gotta figure this out.

I gave a friend a Hotspot for public land turkeys last spring. He and his son called in two cats to 40 yards.
Were cats in season would you
A) blast a cat even if they were grazing on green shoots?
B) hold out for a turkey pecking on a variety of carnivorous bugs?
C) throw your hands up and head for the nearest Cajun joint and gorge a bucket of shrimp?
I gotta figure this out.
Clearly C, especially if they have cold beer.

Sorry for distractions Trial...we are taking this to its own thread.
Congrats again on a cool hunt.

Great cat @Trial153

You often hear about the energy of places or events: The energy of the city, a concert, etc.

I've been to some of the biggest cities in the U.S.A and Europe, and there is no comparison for me between that and chasing a pack of hounds that are on a trail. Watching them do what they were bred and trained for is amazing.

There are hound races that where so good that I have seen that they are etched in my memory. Even 15 years later I can see them and hear them.
Watching a good hound pick a track and carry it when no other can smell it, and then rest of the pack starts tongue as they get a piece of it …it’s the best feeling. Especially when it’s your hound.

Would you eat a domestic dog or cat as they do in Asia?
Not in the US, but if I was traveling to a place where this was common practice and the animal was raised for consumption, then yes I would consider it.
Mallard ducks are puddle ducks. If one hunts them in rice fields, they eat grains.

Diet: omnivorous. Majority of diet is plant material, including seeds, stems, and roots of a vast variety of different plants, especially sedges, grasses, pondweeds, smartweeds, many others; also acorns and other tree seeds, various kinds of waste grain. Also eat insects, crustaceans, mollusks, tadpoles, frogs, earthworms, small fish. Young ducklings may eat mostly aquatic insects.”

So yes they eat rice when in the rice field, but that’s far from all they eat.
Diver ducks eat fish.
They do?
“Once near the bottom, diving ducks use their feet to maintain a hovering position while the birds forage for aquatic insects, small mollusks, seeds, vegetation, roots, tubers, and other food.”

Congrats on a great cat.

I am glad you plan to eat it. The one I shot tasted good but it sure was tough. If I ever get another one, I will likely try to grind some of it.

Beauty of cat and thanks for saving some fawns and deer.
I guess some don't realize what a big cat can do to a deer population.
Texas does not regulate take but how many are taken while sitting in a blind? Not many at all.

I would love to see some of you follow a pack of hounds on a mt lion's trail, that would worth watching. Not all just turn dogs loose and then go to the tree to shoot it when treed.
Ever been up a tree with a mt lion? Sometimes that is how you get your shot, spouse had his cat climb down right beside him after his shot, with a recurve. The cat treed high so he had to climb for a shot. Got the nads to be within 2 feet of a big cat?
Also, hounds allow the release of females. Many outfitters will not shoot females which helps with a stable population, that and female quotas.

Again thanks for taking that deer killer !

Back