Wyoming hunt

Sandhiller

Looking at hunting antelope in unit 9 with a bow in the next couple of years. Been looking at the wyoming website and trying to learn it but was wondering if some of you that have hunted in wyoming could answer a couple of questions. Does wyoming have an archery only permit or can you use same tag for archery and rifle and does anyone have an idea of how many points it takes for this unit. I looked and near as I could tell anywhere from 2 to 5 pts, just don't know if I am reading it correct. Thank you for any help. Jim

Looking at hunting antelope in unit 9 with a bow in the next couple of years. Been looking at the wyoming website and trying to learn it but was wondering if some of you that have hunted in wyoming could answer a couple of questions. Does wyoming have an archery only permit or can you use same tag for archery and rifle and does anyone have an idea of how many points it takes for this unit. I looked and near as I could tell anywhere from 2 to 5 pts, just don't know if I am reading it correct. Thank you for any help. Jim

I had a 9 tag last year and have hunted the area many times. Didn't' take me any preference points either so I'm not sure where you are getting your info. Looks like this year was 45% with 0 pointin the NR regular PP draw.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/hunting-1001914.aspx

You will have to buy an archery stamp to convert your regular tag to archery. It's pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

Buy a PP this year and you will get the tag next year for sure. it's not a bad unit once you get into all the walk in areas. Remember that 9 tags are good south of hwy 20 in Niobrara and Converse county. Keep an eye out for pivots that back up to walk in areas. Might be a good place for archery hunting as I don't know how well you will do sitting water holes this year with all the moisture.

Good luck on your hunt and send me a PM if you have specific questions.

How come you don't hunt antelope down in SW SD? I saw lots of animals when I was in the area a couple of weeks ago. Plus it's almost all public land. Seems like a better option to me.

Last edited:
I will, my friend is on a place that runs right up to the SD border. I thought I would try and pull a double by hunting in wy and Sd, Thought it might be fun. Thanks for the info, I just started trying to understand the wyoming page so that is why I thought I would get some advice from others on here that might understand it better. I figured where most of it is private the tag wouldn't be that hard to get. I will get a pp this year just to make sure. Thanks again. Jim

Buy a PP before 9/30 and that will get you a NR tag for 9 in 2015 with no problem. The archery permit to hunt in August will cost $30 and you'll also need a Conservation Stamp that costs $12.50. If you don't fill your tag in the archery season, you can then come back and hunt with any weapon during the rifle season in October on the tag.

I will, my friend is on a place that runs right up to the SD border. I thought I would try and pull a double by hunting in wy and Sd, Thought it might be fun. Thanks for the info, I just started trying to understand the wyoming page so that is why I thought I would get some advice from others on here that might understand it better. I figured where most of it is private the tag wouldn't be that hard to get. I will get a pp this year just to make sure. Thanks again. Jim

Ahh. sounds like a good plan. If you tag out in WY then get a NE antelope license and go for a triple!

Never thought of that I better just worry about one antelope at a time, never hunted in wyoming so I thought it would be fun.

I hunted 9 and a few other units last year and I thought there were leftovers in 9. I know there were leftover doe tags because we bought a few. The stats are deceiving when you look at NR PP draw. That was the draw for those alloicated tags, but any remaining resident tags roll over to NRs. In 2014 there were 479 resident tags in the quota and only 147 resident applicants between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice. So 332 tags. That is definitely not a 2-5 point unit. More like 0-1.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

We hunted does in that unit a few years ago. We killed six does in one day and went home the next. It was a blast. I did not expect to see any good bucks, based on the crap that I had read/heard. We saw at least three buck that year that anyone would have shot. It is not hard to draw and there are a few good ones there, but any of them with a bow is a good buck. There is a lot of walk-in and a good chunk of state land.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back