Caribou Gear

Wyoming General Unit Options

BlueLine

Hey all. My dad, a buddy of mine and I are looking to draw a general elk tag (rifle) in Wyoming in 2023. My dad and I have done multiple diy elk hunts in various states over the last decade, this will be my buddies first trip out west. My dad is in his 70s so I'm trying to find a unit that has a little more moderate terrain that is conducive to do more glassing for a spot and stalk type hunt and to make it easier for him to get around. A couple of the units I've looked at are 102, 103, 104 and 94. Theses units appear to have some rough terrain up higher but more moderate terrain lower in elevation but of course everything looks different in person than it does on a map. Can anyone with experience in these units give me a little insight as to if these units are what I'm looking for or maybe have better suggestions on units with this type of terrain? And if these units have more moderate terrain lower, is it reasonable to expect the elk to have been pushed to these areas mid to late October on an average year. I appreciate any info you all have to offer.

I live in that general region of the state and have hunted most of the units you mentioned. There are areas in those units with moderate terrain that do hold elk. Due to the moderate terrain, generally decent access, and presence of elk, many of those areas also experience a lot of pressure during the hunts. The pressure tends to move the elk back toward the more rugged terrain. If we get the right weather (significant snow) in the higher elevations, a lot of elk get pushed down towards the moderate terrain. Of course that same snow makes getting around a little trickier at times too.

This was a bull I harvested a few years back in the some of the rugged stuff of one of these units, but he was as a decent representative bull from the unit
DCDA13CE-084C-412D-8F13-38465BB6400C.jpeg

I live in that general region of the state and have hunted most of the units you mentioned. There are areas in those units with moderate terrain that do hold elk. Due to the moderate terrain, generally decent access, and presence of elk, many of those areas also experience a lot of pressure during the hunts. The pressure tends to move the elk back toward the more rugged terrain. If we get the right weather (significant snow) in the higher elevations, a lot of elk get pushed down towards the moderate terrain. Of course that same snow makes getting around a little trickier at times too.

This was a bull I harvested a few years back in the some of the rugged stuff of one of these units, but he was as a decent representative bull from the unit
View attachment 255935
Wonderful Harvest.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back