Caribou Gear

Wyoming General Elk

SD_Prairie_Goat

I'm going to be "that guy"....

I got my second bull elk tag (going to go rifle) for general Wyoming this year. (previous bull tag was Colorado, here's the thread of how badly CO kicked my @ss https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/co-kicked-my-a.293071/ )

I'm hoping to bounce ideas off someone more knowledgeable in WY before I start summer scouting. To be honest I'm hoping to gain insight on stuff like: unit pressure, unit access, bear country (thinking about trying to look at griz unit to help reduce competition?), etc.

PM's preferred because we all know what happens with the Search function and unit info....

Thanks, and Sorry to be that guy!

Went last year to WY in a general unit and killed a bull on day 2. Pressure was not that bad and saw a handful of other hunters while there. One guy and his son that I ran into, were nice enough to offer me help packing out the bull on their horses. That was a real God send as I was solo.
My previous elk hunting experiences have been in MT and the pressure there was many multiples worse.
I won’t tell you were I hunted, but I will say that I was in just an average unit, according to kill stats, and yes grizzlies are in the area but that doesn’t bother me.
If I were you, just pick an average unit that has a decent amount of public and that strikes your fancy for whatever other reason, and focus on it. I don’t think you can go wrong. I stay away from the statistically best units as everyone has goHUNT these days so pressure for sure will be higher in such units.
I’ll be out there again this year, with a buddy this time, and feel really fortunate to have drawn a tag since I was just there last year.
Good luck to you!

I drew a tag in Wyoming after 14 years of applying… I have an ace in the hole as my closest hunting buddy has a small ranch very near our Unit.

We are looking for a wall tent camp (for 2-4 hunters) to rent - any ideas or connections? Or know someone that would? We can either pick it up in Denver or Cody. Our hunt will be from 10/12-10/23 this year. Thanks in advance for for your help!!

I have 2 points. Started late.
At the current rate of point creep, you'll have enough points to draw the WY GEN Elk Tag in 2026. (You'll have 6 points that year, and WY point creep averaged out has the GEN tag going for 6 that year.) This is assuming that there isn't anything too drastic that happens between now and then. You can always apply for it every year, in the hope that you'll get one the random tags that WY gives out. But, if you are asking when you can draw the tag sure thing, I would say about 2026.

Attachments

• 1655241591282.png
    1655241591282.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 2
If you don't like pressure - and lots of it. I would avoid the 1st week. Crazy how many camps left around day 4

Got back from some pre season scouting. Not sure how I feel about the unit I tentatively picked. I'm worried that it may be too heavily wooded, any advice on that from the collective?

Last time when I was in CO, it was also heavily wooded and I quickly learned that spotting elk was pretty impossible in the heavy forested areas. This unit has a few more meadows, but still overwhelmingly spruce forest:

This area was road accessible, so I'm sure its heavily viewed during hunting season. This was about the highest amount of meadows I was able to find in the unit... **(Photo removed, apparently HT is really good at picking up mountain ranges and triangulating a unit and area....... Touche fine sirs)**

The other option is an existing Burn area. I know that's usually a good spot to look for them, it looks pretty sparse, do you focus on the areas of transition between forest and burn?
**(Photo removed, apparently HT is really good at picking up mountain ranges and triangulating a unit and area....... Touche fine sirs)**

Overall, not sure I'm in love with the unit to be honest. Maybe I'll change my mind later. Planning another scouting trip in the near future.

The best part of the trip, look at the gold I found in an Albertsons, these have been discontinued for years now:
IMG_0229.JPG

Also, love me some prairie goats:
IMG_0226.JPG

Last edited:
You chose wisely. Stay put, you are in very good country.

You chose wisely. Stay put, you are in very good country.
I didn't spot any elk while scouting, I assume I shouldn't worry about that? It was hot with long days so I'm sure elk behavior will be drastically different come season

I didn't spot any elk while scouting, I assume I shouldn't worry about that? It was hot with long days so I'm sure elk behavior will be drastically different come season
I guarantee there are elk on that slope in your first pic. I gave you my opinion, but in the end, its your hunt not mine. If you don't like it then might be best to move on.

General season = lots of pressure = elk are hiding on timbered slopes, I wouldn't be too concerned about meadows since they will rarely be in the open until pressure drops way off. Find the areas with small openings hidden in the trees. Mulecreek gives good advice.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back