Caribou Gear

Wyoming General Elk - Have to start my hunt a week into the season… Any tips?

BuckeyeRifleman

Hunting a general unit in western Wyoming this year. First time in Wyoming but I’ve hunted Montana several times with success…

I’m typically an opening morning guy. Find them a day or two prior and use opening day pressure to my advantage.

Unfortunately this year my hunting partner and his son had a scheduling conflict with being there for the opener. I thought about going solo but between wanting to spend time with my buddy and two extra pairs of eyes and legs decided to delay my trip by a week. Rifle season opens on the 15th and we will be getting there on the 21st and hunting for seven days.

I typically like to spike in for 3-4 days at a time, glass and go from there.

Bottom line I’m feeling a little uneasy about missing the opener… Any advice for the later portions of the Wyoming general rifle season? I’m hoping for at the very least a better hunting experience with regards to pressure rather than the zoo that is the Montana opener, and if I’m lucky find elk that are back to doing there normal elk thing on the mountain.

Either way can’t wait to visit the great state of Wyoming and do my favorite thing in the world… Hunt elk!

Hunting a general unit in western Wyoming this year. First time in Wyoming but I’ve hunted Montana several times with success…

I’m typically an opening morning guy. Find them a day or two prior and use opening day pressure to my advantage.

Unfortunately this year my hunting partner and his son had a scheduling conflict with being there for the opener. I thought about going solo but between wanting to spend time with my buddy and two extra pairs of eyes and legs decided to delay my trip by a week. Rifle season opens on the 15th and we will be getting there on the 21st and hunting for seven days.

Bottom line I’m feeling a little uneasy about missing the opener… Any advice for the later portions of the Wyoming general rifle season? I’m hoping for at the very least a better hunting experience with regards to pressure rather than the zoo that is the Montana opener, and if I’m lucky find elk that are back to doing there normal elk thing on the mountain.

Either way can’t wait to visit the great state of Wyoming and do my favorite thing in the world… Hunt elk!
I wouldn't change anything from what you normally do. Best of luck, hope you have a great hunt.

Watch the weather, we have potential changes coming 3rd week in Oct.
Road closures could affect your plans, and deep snow.

Good luck and yes pressure should be much less.
Yeah trust me I’ve been keeping an eye on it (borderline obsessing over it…😂) I obviously have chains and recovery gear. I’m ok with snow as it might get them on their feet, just keeping my fingers crossed for a few days good visibility.

But it’s out of my control at this point, no sense in stressing over it. Plus a forecast past about 7 days is pretty much worthless from what I understand.

You might be surprised what they can forecast fairly accurately now.
Watch yesterdays podcast just for a look. https://dayweatherpodcast.com/

Best of luck, things have a way of working out. I'd check back right before your hunt for a local weather update.
You might look into the W-TAP program by WYDOT, you may get authorized travel on closed roads. We use it for winter travel out of state and back home and to feed livestock.

You might be surprised what they can forecast fairly accurately now.
Watch yesterdays podcast just for a look. https://dayweatherpodcast.com/

Best of luck, things have a way of working out. I'd check back right before your hunt for a local weather update.
You might look into the W-TAP program by WYDOT, you may get authorized travel on closed roads. We use it for winter travel out of state and back home and to feed livestock.
Watch the weather, we have potential changes coming 3rd week in Oct.
Road closures could affect your plans, and deep snow.

Good luck and yes pressure should be much less.
What's the changes 3 weeks from now? Cold front or possibly blizzards?

Major shift in jet stream with a change to colder weather, possibly more artic.
Watch the podcast for Oct 11.
The changes are for 3rd week in Oct, that is 8 days from now not 3 weeks from now.

Looks like it's going to get colder, but not really seeing much moisture in any of the forcasts. I will be hunting a unit that opens tomorrow, but after that probabaly headed back up around Dubois for the remainder of the season(if I don't get one this weekend) and ws hoping for some snow to push some elk down. Not looking like we'll get enough before the end of the season.

Well we were successful with a 4x5 bull day 1. He’s not a monster but I wasn’t after that. In town for a real bed and a beer, then more meat hauling in the morning.

ETA 3 miles in and we felt like we had the state of Wyoming all to ourselves!
618B763A-4B3D-4EF7-9C51-92E248F41798.jpeg

Less people in the woods but elk may be scattered don't be discouraged

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back