Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming General Elk Grizz units

Sasquatchewan

Hey all, I'm hoping to draw a General tag this year and started planning early to kill time. If I draw, I'll be heading out alone and would like to avoid grizzly country. I'm no stranger to being around them but I don't feel comfortable cutting up an elk by myself if I get lucky...

For this reason, I'm ruling out most of the north-west General units. I'm still looking at those low 90s/100s units in the Salt river range and was wondering if any of you had been there or if anyone had any input about that area with regard to bears. I'm sure they're there but I'm Ok with low bear numbers. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Should be ok in those units. There are grizz in some of them but not very thick. I would also suggest bringing a partner. That is some nasty country and hauling an elk out is not easy with help let alone solo. It can be done but help is a great thing.

I wish I had a partner but I don't, I can barely get my buddies to show up on time for a hunt 10 minutes away from home, let alone driving 12hrs to Wyoming! lol

My wife said she might be interested in coming down with me this year but I don't think it'll happen. But if any of you have info on the area and draw a Saskatchewan Whitetail tag I'm more than happy to help, it's a far stretch but you never know!!!

There are Grizz in unit 90. Not a high resident population, but they are there.

I went to WY last year and had the same concerns. I did not find any griz, I did find some exceptionally large bear sign, but I feel reasonably comfortable saying it was likely large black bear. Certainly plenty of people. If I went again I would try to the higher griz units and just count on having to take increased safety measures.

Just bring lots of fire water so you can wrestle them!

I might try and have my way with one if I drink too much party juice. I don't know which is worst, manbear off-springs and child support, or getting mauled by a grizz...

I went to WY last year and had the same concerns. I did not find any griz, I did find some exceptionally large bear sign, but I feel reasonably comfortable saying it was likely large black bear.

Black bears are nature's Billie Eilish, more talk than bite, they don't worry me.

Are you planning to hunt the rifle season or archery season?

It'll all depend on my draws here at home, I'm normally pretty busy chasing archery monster Sasky mulies around that time of year. I've already booked 2 weeks of leave for the rifle season to be safe though.

2018-Distrib-for-website.jpg

If you hunt archery, I'd keep in mind the general areas in the Sierra Madres or around the Snowy Range. There's some good archery hunting if you can find the elk, but there are plenty of other hunters even during the bow season. No Grizzlies down there either. For rifle, I'd stick to the Western part of the state. That's just my preference though.

Theres very low numbers in the salt range area. I got a buddy who lives that way and hunts a lot in those mountains. Says he’s never had to worry there.

Back